Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs currently $26.6 million under salary cap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Chiefs currently $26.6 million under salary cap Reply with quote

Hmmm, Pioli should have a pocketful of cash this coming offseason to re-sign Bowe, Albert, and Hillis, among others to long term deals - and still have some cash to add some key free agents. I can't wait to see the Pioli pry open that vault door while Clark Hunt weeps silently in the corner!

Wink

Quote:
As the regular season approaches, plenty of teams still have plenty of cap space.

Leading the way are the Jaguars, with a whopping $28.7 million to spend. The Chiefs rank second with $26.6 million. The Eagles are the only other team with more than $20 million, at $20.2 million.

The Texans and Lions reside at the other end of the spectrum, with $2.3 million each.

The full list is right here.

Until the start of the regular season, only the top 51 cap numbers factor in to the calculation. Once the season begins, all players on the 53-man roster — along with all players on any reserve list — must fit under the cap.

Unlike past labor deals, teams may now carry over any remaining cap space automatically, from one year to the next. Also, the per-team spending minimum still does not apply until 2013.

So there’s no a longer a “use-it-or-lose-it” component to the salary cap. And there’s no requirement to use it until next year. Even then, the excess carried over from past years isn’t subject to the 89-percent spending minimum.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/04/jags-still-have-28-7-million-in-cap-space/

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassel extension? $20MM/year for another 5-6 years. Then we low ball Albert, and let the rest walk.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Cassel extension? $20MM/year for another 5-6 years. Then we low ball Albert, and let the rest walk.

Bigs,
It's hard to tell if you are being brutally sarcastic or actually a bit gloomy as to Pioli's direction. Fess up.

LOL

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

Bigs,
It's hard to tell if you are being brutally sarcastic or actually a bit gloomy as to Pioli's direction. Fess up.

LOL

Mostly sarcastic, although if we see antoher 2010 type of Cassel performance, I'd not be surprised by some kind of extension for him. Even with two years remaining on his deal after this one, no reason to wait and see there, we know what we've got. Wink

Honestly, I question the validity of the number reported, as that's sigificantly more then what was reported just a few weeks ago, and we've not cut anyone of significance. Does this include the escalators to Tyson and Dorsey's contracts for starters? IIRC PFT always seems to have a very high number for us under the cap, and have been more of the outlier in that regard.

If we truly have that much to roll over, awesome, then there's really no excuses not to retain pretty much everyone. If it's more like the $16MM or so that had been reorted not too log ago, then I think we see a couple of folks walk in UFA.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

Bigs,

LOL

Mostly sarcastic, although if we see antoher 2010 type of Cassel performance, I'd not be surprised by some kind of extension for him. Even with two years remaining on his deal after this one, no reason to wait and see there, we know what we've got. Wink

Honestly, I question the validity of the number reported, as that's sigificantly more then what was reported just a few weeks ago, and we've not cut anyone of significance. Does this include the escalators to Tyson and Dorsey's contracts for starters? IIRC PFT always seems to have a very high number for us under the cap, and have been more of the outlier in that regard.

If we truly have that much to roll over, awesome, then there's really no excuses not to retain pretty much everyone. If it's more like the $16MM or so that had been reorted not too log ago, then I think we see a couple of folks walk in UFA.

Bigs, ok. Just don't troll posters in the very forum in which you are the moderator. Conflict of interest.

LOL

Wink

Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and we couldn't afford 3 more million for Carr instead of Routt. That's some bulllllll

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
and we couldn't afford 3 more million for Carr instead of Routt. That's some bulllllll

RVM,
Some need to be sacrificed for the greater good of the team! And where do you think the money will come from when we need to extend Quinn, Eachus and O'Connell this upcoming offseason??!!

Laughing

Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:

RVM,
Some need to be sacrificed for the greater good of the team! And where do you think the money will come from when we need to extend Quinn, Eachus and O'Connell this upcoming offseason??!!

Laughing

That would be funny if I wasn't so ticked off that we didn't re-sign Carr. It isn't the same without 2 Brandons back there

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
jimmydee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, you can tell it's 'game week', cause there is heightened energy in the air. Love the sarcasm, guys.
Wink
Stiil, seriously, we probably sign one more FA to bolster the DB's or OL. Not sure how that impacts the topic, salary cap movng forward. Sure does look like we have the ability to sign the guys we truly want to keep.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Boy, you can tell it's 'game week', cause there is heightened energy in the air. Love the sarcasm, guys.
Wink
Stiil, seriously, we probably sign one more FA to bolster the DB's or OL. Not sure how that impacts the topic, salary cap movng forward. Sure does look like we have the ability to sign the guys we truly want to keep.

jd,
Good to see you. My honest opinion on what I could see happening next year :

Dwayne Bowe : IMO he is more than likely gone. I think it will end up being very similar to the Brandon Carr situation in that Pioli will attempt to make an offer to Bowe but will be considerably below "market" level. Bowe will reject the offer and sign elsewhere. I just don't think Bowe is on Pioli's long term plans.

Brandon Albert : I think there is a good chance we franchise Albert this upcoming offseason and play the Bowe "wait-and-see" game. I really think Stephenson was the attempt by Pioli to hedge himself against Albert having all of the leverage from a roster need standpoint, ala Baldwin drafted before the Bowe contract situation.

Peyton Hillis : I honestly think this is the guy that we could sign to a longer term deal to continue as the thunder to Charles' lighting. Something like a 3 year deal wouldn't shock me at all.

Glenn Dorsey : If he is willing to take a below market deal, I think he gets re-signed. But if he takes his chances on the market, I think he is going to get grabbed up by someone.

Tyson Jackson : IMO he will restructure yet again to extend his contract out further and allow the team to avoid the $14 million pricetag for next year (the amount IIRC).

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At a time when the NFL and the NFLPA rarely agree on anything, it should be no surprise that their respective versions of the cap numbers are different, too.

We posted on Monday the team-by-team numbers via a source with knowledge of the NFLPA version of the calculations. The league has its own numbers, with multiple discrepancies.

The biggest gap comes in Kansas City. The NFLPA numbers show that the Chiefs have $26.6 million in space. The league has the Chiefs at nearly $16.4 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/05/league-union-have-different-cap-numbers/#more-1199366

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: