Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seattle Selects Russell Wilson with the 75th Pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sacks98


Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 3939
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pie Romania wrote:
I think Wilson has many of the same characteristics of Vick, and that isn't a bad thing. He doesn't have the arm Vick does, but it is still strong enough to make all the necessary NFL throws. His mobility isn't as good, but it is enough to be a game changer and to keep the sticks moving. Everything that Vick lacked though, Wilson has it by the boat load. Leadership, accuracy and a calm and collective manner on and off the field. The dude is smart too. I like Flynn, don't get me wrong, but Wilson is the spark, the leadership we have missed on offense for a while. He's the under dog with a chip on his shoulder and he plays like he's on a mission. You can't help but fall in love with the way he conducts himself. I think we found our diamond in the rough and we are on our way to becoming the powerhouse we all hoped and knew we could be with a star at the quarterback position.


I think that's a good comparasion but i think Wilson is better built to take a pounding but he is a lot smarter then Vick not trying to to gain more yards to risk getting hammered he get's out of bounds or slides.

Also think Wilson is a lot more polished in reading coverage's then Vick was coming out of College he was more of an athlete with the Falcon's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pie Romania


Joined: 23 Aug 2012
Posts: 1824
Location: Seattle, WA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
Pie Romania wrote:
I think Wilson has many of the same characteristics of Vick, and that isn't a bad thing. He doesn't have the arm Vick does, but it is still strong enough to make all the necessary NFL throws. His mobility isn't as good, but it is enough to be a game changer and to keep the sticks moving. Everything that Vick lacked though, Wilson has it by the boat load. Leadership, accuracy and a calm and collective manner on and off the field. The dude is smart too. I like Flynn, don't get me wrong, but Wilson is the spark, the leadership we have missed on offense for a while. He's the under dog with a chip on his shoulder and he plays like he's on a mission. You can't help but fall in love with the way he conducts himself. I think we found our diamond in the rough and we are on our way to becoming the powerhouse we all hoped and knew we could be with a star at the quarterback position.


I think that's a good comparasion but i think Wilson is better built to take a pounding but he is a lot smarter then Vick not trying to to gain more yards to risk getting hammered he get's out of bounds or slides.

Also think Wilson is a lot more polished in reading coverage's then Vick was coming out of College he was more of an athlete with the Falcon's.


Completely agree. I don't think I stated differently than that, but maybe I wasn't thorough enough to cover all aspects. I was merely generalizing traits that were similar, not saying everything was identical or close to it. I don't think Wilson is a clone of anyone in the league or has been in the league. Take some of the best traits from a handful of some of the best quarterbacks in the league right now, and that is Wilson. Now, whether or not he utilizes them and turns that into an elite product on the field week in and week out, is another story and remains to be seen. Point is, Wilson has above average to elite characteristics (aside from height). I hope he can capitalize on these traits and be a stud in this league.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chpjns15


Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 1698
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
Pie Romania wrote:
I think Wilson has many of the same characteristics of Vick, and that isn't a bad thing. He doesn't have the arm Vick does, but it is still strong enough to make all the necessary NFL throws. His mobility isn't as good, but it is enough to be a game changer and to keep the sticks moving. Everything that Vick lacked though, Wilson has it by the boat load. Leadership, accuracy and a calm and collective manner on and off the field. The dude is smart too. I like Flynn, don't get me wrong, but Wilson is the spark, the leadership we have missed on offense for a while. He's the under dog with a chip on his shoulder and he plays like he's on a mission. You can't help but fall in love with the way he conducts himself. I think we found our diamond in the rough and we are on our way to becoming the powerhouse we all hoped and knew we could be with a star at the quarterback position.


I think that's a good comparasion but i think Wilson is better built to take a pounding but he is a lot smarter then Vick not trying to to gain more yards to risk getting hammered he get's out of bounds or slides.

Also think Wilson is a lot more polished in reading coverage's then Vick was coming out of College he was more of an athlete with the Falcon's.


So basically Wilson is like Vick but a lot different... Laughing

Do you guys think a young Donovan McNabb would be a better comparison? They are both good arms and accuracy, and high mobility. The only difference is that Wilson is shorter and has much better intangibles.
_________________
"Trying is the first step towards failure"


"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."


"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titans0021


Moderator
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 25942
Location: Props to El ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just not sure there is a fair comparison. Shorter players with his mobility typically don't have his accuracy and intangibles.

If I had to compare him to a player, it would be Steve Young in his first few years as a starting quarterback. Both were considered undersized, both could run and were accurate passers that used their legs to extend plays while keeping their eyes downfield. Not in any way saying he will ever be the kind of quarterback Young was, but that's more of who he reminded me of when he was in college.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sakae99


Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 20
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="titans0021"]I'm just not sure there is a fair comparison. Shorter players with his mobility typically don't have his accuracy and intangibles.

If I had to compare him to a player, it would be Steve Young in his first few years as a starting quarterback. Both were considered undersized, both could run and were accurate passers that used their legs to extend plays while keeping their eyes downfield. Not in any way saying he will ever be the kind of quarterback Young was, but that's more of who he reminded me of when he was in college.[/quote]

Well said Titans. I think a very fair comparison. Not sure how many here remember the early Steve Young days. Great field awareness, but ran almost too much.
But also a sharp passer and great leader.
This kid is only going to grow~
When I hear the Seneca comparisons, I know they really haven't seen this guy.

I backed the pick on page 11 on this thread, as I've seen enough Big 10 games to convince me he had that "something" to make it. How he responds to when teams scheme for him will be interesting.
I think we can all agree, QB'ing in the NFL is the hardest in all of sports.
But he doesn't have to be the next Steve Young, just competent.
[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BBIB


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 8771
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chpjns15 wrote:


So basically Wilson is like Vick but a lot different... Laughing

Do you guys think a young Donovan McNabb would be a better comparison? They are both good arms and accuracy, and high mobility. The only difference is that Wilson is shorter and has much better intangibles.


Russell Wilson has the potential to be Drew Brees meets Michael Vick.

Even though Donovan McNabb is a fringe HOFer, Russell Wilson's potential is far greater than that. Russell Wilson has potential to be a 1st ballot HOFer and will redefine how the experts evaluate prospects at the QB position in terms of not giving a guy a fair shake just because he's a couple inches shorter.

They will finally see the light and see that it's accuracy, anticipation, pocket presence, and arm strength in addition to work ethic and leadership that matter far more than height.

Otherwise Drew Brees would be garbage and JaMarcus Russell an All-Pro.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hawkman98272


Joined: 02 Jan 2009
Posts: 18800
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like saying our rookie QB has the potential to be a first ballot HOF player. Let's not put too much pressure on the guy.

Let's just hope he's a QB that can win games if needed, but won't lose us games like Tavaris did. Sure it's not a Aaron Rodgers like way, but as long as we win games, I could care less.
_________________

IDOG_det

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
outside_Insider


Joined: 29 Jan 2012
Posts: 1218
Location: Calgary, AB
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkman98272 wrote:
I really don't like saying our rookie QB has the potential to be a first ballot HOF player. Let's not put too much pressure on the guy.

Let's just hope he's a QB that can win games if needed, but won't lose us games like Tavaris did. Sure it's not a Aaron Rodgers like way, but as long as we win games, I could care less.


I don't think RW will be reading this, so we're not putting any pressure on him:) The ironic part is that RW puts that type of pressure/expectations on himself. He wants to be excellent- not average, not good, but excellent. He won't every feel satisfied- much like the Peyton Mannings' and Drew Brees' of the world.
_________________


"We all we got, we all we need"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imani


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 27256
Location: Harlem, NY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outside_Insider wrote:
hawkman98272 wrote:
I really don't like saying our rookie QB has the potential to be a first ballot HOF player. Let's not put too much pressure on the guy.

Let's just hope he's a QB that can win games if needed, but won't lose us games like Tavaris did. Sure it's not a Aaron Rodgers like way, but as long as we win games, I could care less.


I don't think RW will be reading this, so we're not putting any pressure on him:) The ironic part is that RW puts that type of pressure/expectations on himself. He wants to be excellent- not average, not good, but excellent. He won't every feel satisfied- much like the Peyton Mannings' and Drew Brees' of the world.


"I'm never afraid to excel"

My favorite quote from him thus far
_________________


wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ikeaboy


Joined: 23 Jan 2009
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Django


Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 2794
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
Drew Brees.

Name me a running back that had success that was shorter than 5'8" before MJD. Players buck trends. Wilson was able to have a ton of success in the pocket playing behind an absolutely mammoth offensive line. Writing him off solely because of his height is foolish.


Drew Brees is 6'0" - Russell Wilson is 5'10

And yes - it makes a difference.

It's not foolish. Look at Troy Smith, Doug Flutie and other college QBs who have struggled because they are too short to be NFL QBs. Writing him off because he's too short isn't foolish - it's understanding that not since Sonny Jurgenson has there been a productive QB under 6 feet tall. College isn't the NFL and Pete doesn't seem to get that.

Wait 4 years when Russell Wilson is out of the league. Bring up this post and remember how I was right.


Will do.
_________________
McGloin > Carr bandwagon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Django


Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 2794
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
Absolutely, without a doubt, the WORST pick of the entire draft, by any team. Even worse than Jacksonville, selecting a punter. Wilson has zero chance of ever becoming a good franchise QB and you absolutely do not select players in the first 3 rounds, unless you believe that they at least have a chance to be good pros. How do I know he will fail? History, says so. The only guy under 6' tall who has even reached marginal success as a starter was Flutie and he completely washed out of the league, the first time around. He had to go to Canada, before coming back and even then, he was completely overhyped. For God's sake, his best year was when he threw just 20 TD's and 11 INT's. That's not franchise numbers, but he made his name because of his scrambling ability. Back then, that was a rarity, but now, just about every QB is a scrambler, so that doesn't buy you anything new anymore.

Wilson is nothing more than a Seneca Wallace type at best and you just don't spend 3rd rounders on those types of players, when you have other real needs.

There are 3 types of players that I despise. 1. Smurf QB's 2. Running QB's 3. Midget CB's. Wilson fits 2 of those 3 criteria.

Some of you were complaining about Irvin's character issues and wanted squeaky clean players instead. Well, you got one and it was a wasted pick. We might as well of took a dump on that draft card and flushed it down the toilet, because it won't help this team in the slightest. Smurf QB's do not work in the NFL and they never will. Just by selecting him at this point in the draft, you just told Matt Flynn, you have no confidence in him. Nice job, front office. Rolling Eyes

At least pick a player that has a chance, to be a good starting player. I hate Nick Foles, but I would have taken him 7 days a week, over Wilson, because at least he meets the minimum height requirement that it takes, to even have a shot at succeeding in the NFL. Wilson's lack of height, means he has no chance. I guarantee he'll never be a good franchise QB. In fact, I'm so sure, that if he does, I'll leave the board and I'll never post again. Mad


_________________
McGloin > Carr bandwagon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
canucks9314


Joined: 31 Dec 2009
Posts: 973
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL great bump. Hindsight is 20/20 though. Even the biggest RW fan probably didn't expect him to be a 2x pro bowler and super bowl champ in his first 2 seasons.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tatupu_64


Moderator
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 21300
Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikeaboy wrote:
bump
We don't bump old threads
_________________

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group