Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

will essux be added?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: will essux be added? Reply with quote

When they put DD on that IR for 8 weeks , there is a chance they could add essux but will they?

Will we ever be finished with essux? I doubt another team will pick him up, but lets hope Smile
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: will essux be added? Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
When they put DD on that IR for 8 weeks , there is a chance they could add essux but will they?

Will we ever be finished with essux? I doubt another team will pick him up, but lets hope Smile

He's my best guess. Wouldn't be surprised if it will be Corbin Bryant or a 5th WR, Derrick Williams. Also, I think we might release Will Allen after Broncos game and are keeping him just to be our 4th S. Might sign someone then too.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: will essux be added? Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
3rivers wrote:

He's my best guess. Wouldn't be surprised if it will be Corbin Bryant or a 5th WR, Derrick Williams. Also, I think we might release Will Allen after Broncos game and are keeping him just to be our 4th S. Might sign someone then too.

Good point about Allen.

...you have a forum resume?
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys want him back? I would prefer if they just kept him away as in cleaning house and getting rid of as much as they could of the old OL. Lets hope they don't bring Kemo back next if more injuries occur Rolling Eyes
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
Do you guys want him back? I would prefer if they just kept him away as in cleaning house and getting rid of as much as they could of the old OL. Lets hope they don't bring Kemo back next if more injuries occur Rolling Eyes

Once again, you continue to claim we should get rid of these players yet you never have any suggestions who to bring in that would be better.

Still waiting for that answer, considering Ive asked you about 5 times now.
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
3rivers wrote:

Once again, you continue to claim we should get rid of these players yet you never have any suggestions who to bring in that would be better.

Still waiting for that answer, considering Ive asked you about 5 times now.

Maybe #71 C scott but also maybe other players from different teams. I don't have the answers, just the questions Razz Really though 43M, don't we just want to get rid of all that old OL and give new fresh blood a chance, players that take conditioning seriously and at least look like they care. That OL at the beginning of last year was the worst.

Sorry I don't have the answers since I don't study the league and players available. I know you guys keep an eye on that and have had players in mind when the vacancy presents itself. I knew that Flo was available and was happy about that signing Cool I am not looking for mid pay level players for back up on the OL, just want to get rid of what was left . If essux comes back, he might not ever play Laughing but if there is a rash of injuries on the OL Embarassed Scoot is now available as well, seems like nobody wants our former OL, wonder why 'Embarassed'

I guess there is good news if DD does heal quick, which should allow him to be maybe 7 on depth after Legursky and Adams. It would be nice if the unit could stay healthy and see what they can accomplish in the new offense with a real attempt to run the ball.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Jonathan Scott is on IR? Also, Essex seems pretty well conditioned IMO, just doesn't have the proper size to compete at the position. Decent intangibles, just lacks the physical qualities. I agree though that Chris Scott is also another option to consider.
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
I thought Jonathan Scott is on IR? Also, Essex seems pretty well conditioned IMO, just doesn't have the proper size to compete at the position. Decent intangibles, just lacks the physical qualities. I agree though that Chris Scott is also another option to consider.

I thought the bears were giving scoot a try. Go figure, a team with an OL scrutinized as much as ours was in the past. I guess that is where these players will go.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essex's problem is balance, he doesnt have any. A bad trait for any position. They are hoping that Beachum could become a better version of Essex because of his intelligence which should translate to the center position. I thought that Chris Scott performed well at guard and can play tackle.

I'd consider bringing back Essex at this point as well, had he not performed so well at the center position when he was called upon he'd be gone but that ability to at least play all 5 spots is valuable even if its not great play.

Truth is that there are so few good Olineman to go around that it is rare and fortunate to have any real talent on the bench.

...you have a forum resume?
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Essex's problem is balance, he doesnt have any. A bad trait for any position. They are hoping that Beachum could become a better version of Essex because of his intelligence which should translate to the center position. I thought that Chris Scott performed well at guard and can play tackle.

I'd consider bringing back Essex at this point as well, had he not performed so well at the center position when he was called upon he'd be gone but that ability to at least play all 5 spots is valuable even if its not great play.

Truth is that there are so few good Olineman to go around that it is rare and fortunate to have any real talent on the bench.

Too badd DD got hurt, because we would have 3 good depth players with Adams, Legursky and Foster. Next year maybe?

Good points about essux and beechum, but lets hope they stay on the bench or - get to play in MOP up duties Idea Maybe it is a good thing to have these guys, since we will blow away teams this year Shocked

positive thinking Laughing
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

I thought the bears were giving scoot a try. Go figure, a team with an OL scrutinized as much as ours was in the past. I guess that is where these players will go.

Yep, so much for conditioning being his excuse...as they say, "You can polish a turd, but at the end of the day, it's still a turd!"

But honestly, Essex is a backup, and always will be. When we spent a 3rd Rd pick on him, all of Steeler Nation, I'm sure, were just like me in wondering "Who?? Wha?? Why??". We were at least able to take solice in knowing we couldn't possibly ever make a worse pick in the 3rd Rd...but then came Reid and Smith...and then came Spaeth...and then came B. Davis. Ugh!

But back on point. There are worse backups out there, but it's not always about talent, as we know, sometimes it's a financial decision.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect the Steelers not to do anything with DD until after the Denver game. If they wait they can sign Essex at the Vet minimum(800K) with no guaranteed salary. If they sign him this week it would be guaranteed and count against the cap.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Expect the Steelers not to do anything with DD until after the Denver game. If they wait they can sign Essex at the Vet minimum(800K) with no guaranteed salary. If they sign him this week it would be guaranteed and count against the cap.

Excellent point. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Essex back after Week 1. He is a more "known" quantity than Beachum at this point.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

capology lesson for the day
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to get sloppy because of our expectations but...

I don't think Essex will be back, here's why; we have Ryan Lee on PS if we lose a guard, Mike Adams can move in if we lose a tackle. Essex's homecoming will happen WHEN we lose BOTH guard, tackle, or AND center even.

Let him be the last resort, I think the Steelers FO feel same way. That's not really a nitpicking on Essex, just the fact that he's not that servicable as of his attributes but just the system he knew for so long and versatility and even that isn't saying much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: