Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cut thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe they gave up on McClain after only a year. My suspicions that it's not a release due to talent, but a release due to change of philosophy or they could not change him into something he was not, which is a builky Dlineman to take on multiple blockers.

My guess is that Rivera wants big guys who can hold up the point of the attack in the middle of the Dline more so that get to the QB. If we need pressure up the middle, we'll move Hardy/Johnson to a UT spot while one of the DTs provides NT coverage if needed.

Huge surprise, but nothing I'll worry about too much.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it odd they gave up on McClain already but understandable as he graded out as the worst DT against the run in the whole league last year. What really amazes me is how hurney keeps surviving these awful picks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
I find it odd they gave up on McClain already but understandable as he graded out as the worst DT against the run in the whole league last year. What really amazes me is how hurney keeps surviving these awful picks

I find it odd they dumped him too, but by no means is this a bad pick. He just does not fit our needs at DT anymore. Rivera is wanting our DTs to sell out to stopping the run, which happened to be McClains weakest spot. If we want to generate a pass rush at the DT spot, we'll move Hardy/ Johnson inside to do so. It's something we did a lot last year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ryanxmerch"]
schulman116 wrote:
boondock wrote:

Marty Hurney is such a dumb [edit]....if Cam haden't fallen into our lap, he'd be long gone by now. fact.

fallen into our lap???? everyone was against cam going number one overall, everyone said he didnt have the heart and was an "entertainer" no one thought he could throw the ball in the nfl like he did his rookie year.

hurney picking cam was ballsy and could turn into the best decision in franchise history, when everyone else wanted to go with the safe pick of dareus or trade down. i would hardly say that "fell into hurney's lap"

I go to Alabama, I was at the 2010 Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa. As much as I hated Cam's guts then, I knew he was going #1 to whoever. Thanks to a rash of injuries & Jimmy Clausen's "less than steller perfomance" Laughing WE HAD PICK #1....& HE FELL IN OUR LAP. I knew he could make NFL throws, & had the possibility of becoming a superstar. I was 19 years old, and it was quite clear to me & any other knowledgable football fan that watched the SEC in 2010. He was clearly the BPA.
Now yes, his historic stats as a rookie....certainly surprised me (mainly because of the lockout/no offseason) he progressed so much since he left Auburn. He does still have a maturity issue....that's he's correcting....the "I'm the best" mentality can be good.....but also it can retract from one's role as a leader.....that is literally my only fear of Cam.

It's not ballsy to take the most talented player available.....thats just called being intelligent and doing your gdamn job. Oh Hurney finally did that wowwwwwwwwwwww.......GM OF THE YEARRRRRRRRRRR Rolling Eyes

But what shows that he is a poor GM....is we could have passed on Cam....taken Dareus/AJ Green......and then in 2nd round taken Andy Dalton....and also been in a good position....but nope we had traded that pick for Armanti Edwards the prior draft....catch my drift?

We hit a home run with Cam. with S.Smith. with Kalil. with Beason. Peppers. Kuechley. but for all those good one's we've had twice as many terrible picks....and they didnt keep their job....but Hurney did. Cam's immense talent has kept Hurney in the front office. It's really not even a debate. Hurney liked Clausen....ALOTTTT.....Ron Rivera/chud fell in love with cam's ability. Thats the only reason hurney didn't phuck that one up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But what shows that he is a poor GM....is we could have passed on Cam....taken Dareus/AJ Green......and then in 2nd round taken Andy Dalton....and also been in a good position....but nope we had traded that pick for Armanti Edwards the prior draft....catch my drift?

You lose.
Hurney has been dynamite in the 1st round. He has messed up some trades, but he has set us up to be a contending team for years to come.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schulman116 wrote:
But what shows that he is a poor GM....is we could have passed on Cam....taken Dareus/AJ Green......and then in 2nd round taken Andy Dalton....and also been in a good position...

I would much rather have Cam Newton than AJ Green and Andy Dalton.

Hurney isn't perfect but he is not bad either. Average I'd say.
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schulman116 wrote:

It's not ballsy to take the most talented player available.....thats just called being intelligent and doing your gdamn job

Have you ever heard of Vontaze Burfict? Why would a guy with top 15 talent go completely undrafted?

Come on man, you're better than this.

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
rjkilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't really matter how anyone wants to rationalize it. having to cut so many early round picks is not good for business and is setting this teams progress back. yeah hurney and co do a great job with first rounders and always seem to find somebody late to contribute but they are wildly inconsistent in rounds 2-4. overall we're fielding a quality team anyway so it's whatever. just don't like wasting picks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
it doesn't really matter how anyone wants to rationalize it. having to cut so many early round picks is not good for business and is setting this teams progress back. yeah hurney and co do a great job with first rounders and always seem to find somebody late to contribute but they are wildly inconsistent in rounds 2-4. overall we're fielding a quality team anyway so it's whatever. just don't like wasting picks

Look around the league it happens everywhere. There are no guaranteed players every player is a gamble.

Thanks CK
schulman116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
schulman116 wrote:

It's not ballsy to take the most talented player available.....thats just called being intelligent and doing your gdamn job

Have you ever heard of Vontaze Burfict? Why would a guy with top 15 talent go completely undrafted?

Come on man, you're better than this.

Obviously if there are major character flaws with the player in question he will be certainly passed over....by anyone accept the bengals...hahaha.

That is not at all comparable to Cam's slightly selfish demeanor. Totally different situations....and Vontaze didnt have a good senior year & not a serious person projected him in rd1/2 based on his last year of college production. However....even going undrafted based on his many flaws, he did still make the bengals 53 man roster & is still competing for a starting job....pretty impressive.

The point was Cam was the clear cut best talent, hurney shouldn't be viewed as an intelligent savior...just for making a easy personel decision. Many others might not have believed it was clear cut, but I did. I saw Cam live in college....& I was just blown away. Even in this forum I said...he's got Dante Culpepper's ultimate potential with much better athleticism/running ability....& just as a JR in college. Sky was the limit. I've always believed Cam's potential was limitless. His maturity & consistent team leadership need to be improved. Other than that he's the brightest star in the game.

What doesn't happen in the rest of this league (with good teams) is having 7 draft picks....only 1-2 of which become starters....the others waived/released. A constant reoccuring theme for the panthers. 2012's draft actually brought us 4-5 future starters. The best draft Hurney's ever had. It was refreshing. Hurney is not a good GM. He rarely makes good offseason acquisitions. He's not able to field good deals when negotiating contracts....often we are vastly over-paying for their services. He's the most inconsistent drafter of any GM. How he can see Steve Smith as a great WR in rd3.....& then see Armanti as a great WR in rd3 will always be a mystery of the decade.

I'm 21 years old....I wanted Justin Houston/Dontay Moch with pick 65.....we took Terrell McClain (a projected 4th-5th rounder). Even I could clearly see the obvious talent differences with those defensive players. Thats pathetic on Hurney to reach for a guy like McClain based on needing a DT....instead of taking the most talented player available. Yall can defend him all you want, he's held us back when we've had very talented teams. He's stubborn just like Jerry. Doesn't like to admit his mistakes, but this offseason he finally has & then made some crafty acquisitions. =D>

Last edited by schulman116 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'd rather have someone on the roster who can contribute than another Dwayne Jarrett wasting a spot simply cause he was a draft pick.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
schulman116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
schulman116 wrote:
But what shows that he is a poor GM....is we could have passed on Cam....taken Dareus/AJ Green......and then in 2nd round taken Andy Dalton....and also been in a good position...

In 5 years....yes you would. AJ will be a top 3 WR in the league, Dalton a top 10 QB & great playoff team leader. Cam will probably the same selfish "all about me" star QB "icon/entertainer"
Yes cam is much more talented, but he doesn't make all his teammates better players unfortunately. Very few have that ability.... Manning/Brees/Rodgers/Brady.....even Tebow haha( who has absolutely no QB talent other than running) is still more influencial on his teammates progress & growth than Cam is cause he has heart & real leadership. Cam doesn't to that degree, if he can find heart like Brees or Tebow....Cam could be the best QB to ever play the game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll eat my own shoe in 5 years if dalton/green lead the bengals to more playoff wins than cam does for carolina.

so basically i won't be eating my shoe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schulman116 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
schulman116 wrote:

In 5 years....yes you would. AJ will be a top 3 WR in the league, Dalton a top 10 QB & great playoff team leader. Cam will probably the same selfish "all about me" star QB "icon/entertainer"
Yes cam is much more talented, but he doesn't make all his teammates better players unfortunately. Very few have that ability.... Manning/Brees/Rodgers/Brady.....even Tebow haha( who has absolutely no QB talent other than running) is still more influencial on his teammates progress & growth than Cam is cause he has heart & real leadership. Cam doesn't to that degree, if he can find heart like Brees or Tebow....Cam could be the best QB to ever play the game.

Man...if what you haven't posted before wasn't proof of your lack of any actual football knowledge, this post sure is.

Cam didn't make his team better....but Tebow does? OK, that there says it all. I can't possibly say anything that would be worse than your own comments.

And could you point us to some of your comments, before Cam was drafted, where you state he was the OBVIOUS pick. Maybe you did, but I wanna seit before I believe it. Your getting a little to full of "bama" with your icon/entertainer comments.
schulman116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen up man, and read carefully...if you can actually read.
I said Tebow makes his teammates play better. Meaning his teammates are inspired and play above their natural ability because they bought into Tim's ra ra attitude.
I didn't say cam doesn't make the team better. Your just trying to twist it that way. What he does individually takes a 2win team to a playoff challenging team. Thats more than obvious.
Sure Cam makes the team as a whole better....no [inappropriate/removed]. For the first time since 1995 we actually have a QB with a legit arm. But do his teammates actually improve by his presence??? (not WR's/TE's...thats obvious). I mean everyone. When Peyton Manning walks into a locker room, everybody's ears are wide open...knowing that they can improve just by listening to him. Yes that comes with experience, but other less experienced players have that effect too.

My point was the only thing holding cam back is his "full of himself" persona. As much as we all love him as a player, the reality is... that is a huge problem for the leader of a professional franchise. If you don't believe he has that problem, fine don't believe it. BUT YOU ARE A NAIVE PERSON. He does have that selfish "I'm #1" persona....he's just buried it alotttt since his college days. If he can continue to mature and become a professional leader, he's gonna be the best.

The difference between Cam & Tebow is this....

Cam's a professional QB.
Tim's a professional leader/motivator....not even close to a real QB.

If they were one player, he would be the best QB that has ever played the game. I just wish Cam could put his ego aside & play for his teammates...like Tim, not for himself...like Cam "superman/entertainer/icon" im not proclaiming that [inappropriate/removed]....he has. And you all know it, your just blinded by his immense talent & fun loving style of play. His big ole' smile. Laughing
He's still an immature kid fellas, but it's a damn sure fact he's the most talented youngster in the game. Most of you just aren't realistic with how you perceive Cam's personality. You believe what you want, not what he's actually like.

Talent can always make it to the playoffs on any level. I've been on 2 N.Carolina H.S. State championship winning football teams. Iv'e seen Saban win 2 national titles at bama.
What separates champions is.....that mentality to take a bullet for your fellow teammates. It takes numerous players leadership to find that identity. I just wish Cam could do that for us...all i'm saying, you don't have to start name calling...knowledge measuring....its laughable to me, because the team points I'm making are truths, some of you might not get it.....because you haven't seen 4 football championships live. Roll Tide Roll....Go Panthers....NFC South Camps 2012.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: