Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rams trade WR Greg Salas to Pats for late rounder in 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
So he should be starting right? If he is, definitely a new fantasy sleeper of mine. He's gonna do well for you guys. Rams just didn't have any more roster spots for quality slot receivers.

Yea because they gave roster spots to "quality" WRs like Brandon Gibson. Mad

Congrats on the steal, Patriots fans. Treat Greg right.
Either cut Gibson and keep Salas as a depth receiver or get a pick for Salas. I think it was wise to get a pick.

But onto what I said earlier, there's no doubt Aaron Hernandez is more talented than Greg Salas. I just think you will see 3/4 WR formations more this year than previously because of Josh McDaniels and his vertical passing game, which means Salas should have more chances to get in the game than he would have with Bill O'Brien. I am also aware that Hernandez and Gronkowski lined up at WR just as much as they did at in-line TE, so they technically are WR's.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
So he should be starting right? If he is, definitely a new fantasy sleeper of mine. He's gonna do well for you guys. Rams just didn't have any more roster spots for quality slot receivers.

Yea because they gave roster spots to "quality" WRs like Brandon Gibson. Mad

Congrats on the steal, Patriots fans. Treat Greg right.
Either cut Gibson and keep Salas as a depth receiver or get a pick for Salas. I think it was wise to get a pick.

But onto what I said earlier, there's no doubt Aaron Hernandez is more talented than Greg Salas. I just think you will see 3/4 WR formations more this year than previously because of Josh McDaniels and his vertical passing game, which means Salas should have more chances to get in the game than he would have with Bill O'Brien. I am also aware that Hernandez and Gronkowski lined up at WR just as much as they did at in-line TE, so they technically are WR's.

He might get some opportunities in empty back sets, but otherwise I doubt he will get on the field much unless he really shines in practice.

In fact, I doubt he will be active a lot on game day. With Lloyd, Welker, Edelman, Slater, Gronkowski, Hernandez and Fells all almost guaranteed game-day actives and maybe Shiancoe too if he is healthy....well, it's tough to justify a guy who will get 5 snaps on offense per game. That's not necessarily a knock on Salas, it's just the way the team is built. The #3 WR (if Salas ends up being #3) is going to be sparingly used outside of games where the team feels the defense matches up poorly against an empty backfield.

Barring injury, I expect the #3 and #4 WR's to put up a total of maybe 30 receptions combined. Gaffney (if brought back) is the only guy I could see putting up moderate numbers as a #3 WR just because Brady loves him so much and they have a great rapport.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this almost as a futures move. Given the uncertainty of Welker's status beyond this season, it makes sense to bring in a guy like Salas in addition to Edelman to see if he can develop a good rapport with Brady and perhaps become Welker's successor should the team be unable to lock him up long-term.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
I see this almost as a futures move. Given the uncertainty of Welker's status beyond this season, it makes sense to bring in a guy like Salas in addition to Edelman to see if he can develop a good rapport with Brady and perhaps become Welker's successor should the team be unable to lock him up long-term.

At this point I'd be surprised if Welker is around in 2014. They might try to franchise him again next year. Or they might trade him in the next 6 days. Who knows.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Salas was cut before Thanksgiving (or Halloween). Certainly, the Pats have a history of bringing in other teams' scraps and then dumping them a week or three later.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

At this point I'd be surprised if Welker is around in 2014. They might try to franchise him again next year. Or they might trade him in the next 6 days. Who knows.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Salas was cut before Thanksgiving (or Halloween). Certainly, the Pats have a history of bringing in other teams' scraps and then dumping them a week or three later.
We'll see how it pans out. I'd say Salas has a better chance of sticking around than most scrap heap pickups the Pats make because of his familiarity with McDaniels.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
cover2man_flats

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All around, Salas is a good player who didn't fit in the scheme the Rams are running with Jeff Fisher. Good size and hands, and decent in the open field. I think this is a good pickup for you guys. Since I live in Maine and get to see the Pats regularly, he is similar to Welker, only bigger.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: