Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Tennant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Matt Tennant Reply with quote

Pats just claimed him off waivers from the Saints. Is he any good? I didn't really watch him at BC nor in the preseason game. Can any of you give a scouting report?

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of us really know why we let him go. He is good depth and can play any of the 3 interior positions.

I wish we would've kept him around.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He couldn't beat out De La Puente for the starting C job & the fact we are going with a rookie as our only backup at G & C suggests Tennant is a bust
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
He couldn't beat out De La Puente for the starting C job & the fact we are going with a rookie as our only backup at G & C suggests Tennant is a bust

A rookie who's been in the league 2 seasons? Wink

Also, 5th round picks don't really "bust."

You're being way to critical of Tennant.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:

http://theadvocate.com/sports/3677781-123/matt-tennant-is-in-make

I don't want to read too much into Tennant's comments in this aritcle... but I'm going to anyway. I get the impression Tennant wasn't happy with New Orleans at the beginning of camp. I get the impression that he was bitter at the coaching staff for not being more understanding of his situation and showing more patience to work with him rather than assume he'd stand out as the immediate starter after a strike-shortened offseason in which the guys ahead of him both left the team unexpetedly. Of course Tennant not being able to adjust or stick it out and claim a top position with the Saints reflects poorly on him as a player. Then again, this is just me reading too much into his comments. The coaches comments in that article indicate displeasure with Tennants sophomore offseason progress, and Tennant sounds like he was doing his job to the best of his abilities but probably needs a change of scenery. I think New Englands zone blocking scheme and Dante Scarrnechia will be a great fit for Tennant, and of course he went to school at Boston College so he's most likely comfortable with the area. From what I watched of Tennant, he's going to be alright as a player and hold up as a backup throughout most of the season. Wheather he makes it to next years roster remains a mystery but I think its a good pick up regardless. Surprised New Orleans cut him either way. The 8 linemen rule is stupid to me.
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck to him, but I don't see it as a very big loss. I always thought he was lacking in the mental side of things.

He was basically handed a starting position between probably the best guard duo in the league and couldn't run with it. It led us to getting Kreutz. Which led to DLP coming in and taking the C position and he's been fine in it.

This may turn out to be a Ninkovich situation, but I doubt it. He's a decent option for depth, but I doubt he can start. Maybe his development kicks up a notch with the Patriots?

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
wow_junky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

I forgot Tiller was on IR, I was confusing him with Olsen. Still, the fact that Tennant was twice beaten out of roles (first starting C then backup this year) suggests to me that he wasn't good enough. I wish him well at NE though, it's never nice seeing guys drop out of the league entirely
Raves

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

I forgot Tiller was on IR, I was confusing him with Olsen. Still, the fact that Tennant was twice beaten out of roles (first starting C then backup this year) suggests to me that he wasn't good enough. I wish him well at NE though, it's never nice seeing guys drop out of the league entirely

Rob Ninkovic or however you spell his name wasn't good enough to play for the Saints, now he's a good player for the Patriots...

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
wow_junky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:

Rob Ninkovic or however you spell his name wasn't good enough to play for the Saints, now he's a good player for the Patriots...

Maybe so, but our FO seem to be better at spotting good lineman than they do defensive players, if Tennant was good enough they'd persist with him
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

I'd agree with that, but I wouldn't call him a "bust." That's really the only thing I disagreed with.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
Raves wrote:

Maybe so, but our FO seem to be better at spotting good lineman than they do defensive players, if Tennant was good enough they'd persist with him

Really it might just be a bad environment and he excels with the Pats or elsewhere. Think Cedric Benson in Cincinnati compared to Chicago etc.

I wish him the best of luck with the Patriots, unless he's playing against the Saints.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: