Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans Trade CB Sherrick McManis for FB Tyler Clutts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenney

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Texans Trade CB Sherrick McManis for FB Tyler Clutts Reply with quote

Mark Berman wrote:
Texans traded CB Sherrick McManis to the Bears fo FB Tyler Clutts

Interesting. McManis is a great special teams player, but apparently the Texans don't want to rely exclusively on Casey at FB. Anyone know anything about Tyler Clutts? Think

Last edited by kenney on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...who the hell is Tyler Clutts?

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

You can go ahead and lock my thread.

Like I said in my post, I have no idea who he is. I wonder if he can block.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

You can go ahead and look my post.

If we're trading for a damned fullback, he better be able to absolutely demolish players. And catch the ball. And score as a powerback. And James Casey should have a million all-purpose yards.

I'd have rather stuck with Casey as the exclusive FB and kept Jonathan Grimes.

Also, McManis leaving means we're either keeping 2 or 3 of the following: Keo, Pleasant, Ball, and Carmichael.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

You can go ahead and lock my post.

Very good blocker…the vast majority of Bears fans are sad to see him go because of his toughness in the running game…we expected him to be cut because we are going with more of an H-Back look in our new offence…it’s a good pickup for you guy…Foster will be real happy…

Is McManis a special teams standout only or has he taken a few snaps on D?
dsorc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

Very good blocker…the vast majority of Bears fans are sad to see him go because of his toughness in the running game…we expected him to be cut because we are going with more of an H-Back look in our new offence…it’s a good pickup for you guy…Foster will be real happy…

McManis has barely seen the field on defense. This looks like a move to exchange 2 guys that were going to be cut.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

McManis has barely seen the field on defense. This looks like a move to exchange 2 guys that were going to be cut.

More than likely…we will just be hoping McManis can replace Corey Graham on ST from last year.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
dsorc wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

More than likely…we will just be hoping McManis can replace Corey Graham on ST from last year.

I can't ever recall Sherrick McManis ever "standing out" on ST. Sure he played 'em...but never really got his name out there as someone who did well with the spot. He didn't blow his assignments or anything...just a body out there. He can return kicks and punts, but I doubt he'd be taking time away from Devin Hester in that respect...

A very "meh" player. I always felt he had some decent size, but poor game speed and would of been best served playing some S, but the coaches were adamant that he's a CB...

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutts is a beast, Bears just have a ton of TE/H-back guys.

Clutts honestly is probably better than the guys we have but teams dont cut draft picks(we drafted a 4th rd. Hback), and our TE's we like bigger(both are 6'7)

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
CBears019

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to fall in love with Clutts, he does the dirty work and he does it well. Foster is going to be good friends with Tyler.

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
kenney

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
You're going to fall in love with Clutts, he does the dirty work and he does it well. Foster is going to be good friends with Tyler.

You guys ought to be fairly pleased with McManis as well. He's a savvy, cerebral ST player who isn't afraid to make the tackle and has a very good awareness of what's happening on the field.
texansfan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good move for both teams. We trade a guy who was buried on the depth chart for a road-grader at fullback. And the Bears improve their special teams.

I like it.
jargin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time a fullback's last name is Clutts, you just have to love football.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. We're trading away a guy who was going to be cut anyway and gaining a guy from the sound of it that's a very good FB. I'm guessing that he can help out the RT spot on pass and run blocking as well.

Like ET80, I always felt McManis would be better at Safety than CB.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also is yet further proof of our awful 2010 draft which remains on pace to be worse than 2008 which yielded 1 starter who it took 4 years to develop (D. Brown) and the rest of them were gone in 3 seasons. As of now, Kareem Jackson is a starter again but will have to have a great year to even elevate to Travis Johnson status as worst 1st rounder in team history. No other starters amongst the class so far and aside from Tate's one good year and some minor contributions from Mitchell and Sharpton it's just a class full of roster fodder. Interesting that Graham and Holliday were given up for dead heading into camp, but both came on strong, so they may be the hope for the class.

Regardless as I said at the time and what has held true since, the Texans entire 2010 draft was an exercise in mismanaging the flow by grabbing players just AFTER the talent at the position had been depleted and failing to aggressively move for the value and impact players on the board. To his credit, Rick took charge in 2011 instead of being played by the board again although the jury is still out on Harris and the DBs which have been his bugaboo. As great as Joseph and Manning were last year, we had to go out and spend that money along with resigning OD to a terrible contract because of missed opportunities in 2010 which helped lead to the salary purge of Winston, Brisiel, Ryans, and Mario that's impact we still can't evaluate.

2010 started awry by settling for Kareem instead of moving up for Haden or Thomas. I'll continue to argue the Ben Tate pick for years, but I still say Terence Cody was the missed value especially since Okoye and every other DT was cut. You may think that Tate is special, but I'm not convinced Anthony Dixon and Jonathan Dwyer wouldn't have done the same thing for us last year as 6th rounders (along with James Starks who helped win a Super Bowl) and that taking RBs in the first 2-3 round continues to bring terrible ROI in the past 3 drafts, just like the 3 before 08. That begat the Earl Mitchell reach especially with quality WRs Erik Decker, Andre Roberts, and Mike Williams and TE's Tony Moeaki, Jimmy Graham on the board. Then we reach for Sharpton with Aaron Hernandez and Dennis Pitta still out there and settle for terrible value in Garrett Graham when a guy like Kam Chancellor was sitting there at a need position. In the 6th we again were a few picks shy of the value grabbing Shelley Smith with starters Antonio Brown and David Gettis on the board, while we treat it like a throwaway and grab Holliday who may or may not do something 3 years later as a punt returner (and even if it's a returner, Mark Mariani was still there and has been a pro bowler). Even in the 7th we missed again on the true value with Dorin Dickerson who was supposed to be our "steal" except that Kurt Coleman was there who is now a starting strong safety for the Eagles. Sure it's easy to pull hindsight picks, but I said this same thing 3 years ago and everyone said, you can't tell for 3 years. That bell just rang again in tossing away a 5th round CB for an undrafted Arena League, Canadian League, UFL Fullback like Clutts.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: