Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Too early for a mock draft... but here's one!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Too early for a mock draft... but here's one! Reply with quote

I have an hour left until the class starts so you will excuse me becasue I'm so bored but here's a brief mock draft.

1). Oday Aboushi, OT, Virginia.

I think the draft toward the trench continues. While we drafted Mike Adams, he's still far from a sure thing and I think I'd like to see Marcus Gilbert move inside in future. Aboushi is exactly what we need, athletic with long arms. Decastro kind of pick, safe and sure thing, size doesn't stand out as the likes of Jake Long or anybody else but he should be our future LT if ever drafted.

2). Shayne Skov, ILB/OLB, Stanford.

A perfect Steelers kind of LB. Can play outside or inside, his athleticism is above-average but absolutely versatile. Doesn't get overwhelmed. With Sean Spence still on verdiction and James Harrison aging, our many 2nd rounds have been nothing but a bust, back-up or underachievers. This guy doesn't fit the bill of both, so that should be a good thing, right?

3). Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford.

While a prospect like Joseph Fauria or Tyler Eifert sounds very interesting, Ertz is an athletic TE who haven't displayed any talent yet due to depth (playing behind Fleener AND Toilolo) but he has a look of Dallas Clark. at 6'6" and 249 lbs, he still look pretty thin. Imagine what HE can do when he bulks up to his frame?

4). Brandan Bishop, S, NC State.

Better than people thinks, may be the reason Amerson has been so good. Play very smart, instinctive, and is an all-around safety. With Ryan Clark agining, we need next one step up! Of course, would be nice if Robert Golden steps up, but we still need one more.

5). Larry Black, Jr, 3-4 DE/NT, Indiana

While I'm almost sure that Casey Hampton will hang up his cleats next year and with Al Woods and Corbin Bryant always seem to be on brink of making the roster; we wouldn't know if we will keep Brett Keisel so I took somebody who has similar mold of McLendon, Larry Black. Commands double-team and has both talent and potentials. Should be a back-up for few years before start contributing.

That's it... It's brief!
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just for the bonus; in case Mike Wallace actually leave and we lose Emmanuel Sanders (just ... IF!)

One of my favorite WR that could declare for the draft; Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee. Dude has Fitzgerald-esque in him. Sure hands, insane leaping ability, and a great character. Graduated from my old high school but because of him, and among other ACC QBs from Hampton Roads, I actually watched him closely. Oh did I mention he's 6'4" too? yep. He also has some awesome track record, only it wasn't for his speed; his leaping in broad jump (the pole thing that you jump over... I don't know what it's called lol), long jump, and triple jump. Just that I can see him and Big Ben completing each other because he's not a guy you could over throw when throwing down the middle.

One of our general favorite 2013 prospect, but of course... Probably will be too high to get picked (unless he get Decastro-ized!) Manti Te'0! I think he's our early favorite prospect unless he doesn't produce like he did in 2011. I think with an addition of him to our LB corp would boosts our LB corp big time and could become our 2nd coming of Kendell Bell, at least I hope!
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aboushi is a Right Tackle and have concerns about waist bender, he's hasn't been in the greatest shape. Id say at best he's a late 2nd rounder.

Skov has a better chance of going in the 1st but only played 1 game last year. Has had off field issues with a DUI, some good things but some things but have some concerns in his play that I'll be watching for this season.

Ertz, depending on his season I find it hard to believe he makes it out of the 2nd if not the first. More in line than Fleener which actually makes him more valuable in the long run.

Dont have a good opinion on the other two but wonder why a junior would consider coming out to go in the 5th round?

...you have a forum resume?
3rivers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of OL depth and or improvement , keep up the good work Liar
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another objective point of view; I'm not sure I like the draft from a position standpoint.

Adams showed me that he has the ability, he just needs the time. Gilbert has his horrible moments, but there aren't many good RT in the NFL today. Gilbert will progress into an above-average RT in time. I don't see OT being a first round selection. If you said LG; I could see that being more of a possibility. Colon is injury-prone and his contract will likely not be extended after it ends, which I think is done after 2013.

I've heard of Skov, but havn't seen much. Seems like he could be more of an upgraded Spence. If he can shed blocks, I'd like that. With time, he can move into Timmons spot and kick Timmons over to the other ILB spot.

Not sure how I feel about a TE in the third. We don't really need an athletic TE, honestly. If he can progress (He scores a nice TD in pre-season as I type this!) Saunders is a nice #2, with Heath being the obvious #1. I don't see why we should go for an athletic TE in the third; especially someone who would likely be #3. If you mentioned a legit blocking TE later in the draft; that would be a better option.

Like the idea of a safety in the 4th, but that should be something in the second or first. Neither of our starting safeties are under 30 and our future replacements are depth players, at best.

Like the NT option in the fifth, if that's what he is. Can't comment on Black, I know nothing about it.
kysteeler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a huge fan of going Oline so early in this draft. I think we have to let players like Gilbert and Adams develope, mid round depth is fine with me. This season the most important position for me to see is the play of Harrison and Worilds, I could easily see Harrison cut next year with his body breaking down like it has been..that being said I wouldn't mind a draft looking like this..

1. S
2. LB or WR (depends on what happens w Wallace)
3. OG (to replace Colon in a couple of years, plus depth)
4. TE (blocking TE Like Williams from Bama)
5. LB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: