Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New rule changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: New rule changes Reply with quote

Nfl appoved one player on IR to return after week 6.
maybe Bishop will be ready week 16 Very Happy

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20120830nfl_players_union_approves_ir_rule_change_new_trade_deadline/srvc=home&position=recent
rbens06

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New rule changes Reply with quote

Jsitton71# wrote:
Nfl appoved one player on IR to return after week 6.
maybe Bishop will be ready week 16 Very Happy

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20120830nfl_players_union_approves_ir_rule_change_new_trade_deadline/srvc=home&position=recent

Hopefully, but Thompson didn't seem too sure that would have gotten Bishop on the field if it passed a couple of weeks ago. He said the injury was bad and that it might be better to have him rest and be fully recovered for next season rather than push it and not be the same player. My guess they save it, but I would love to see Bishop back!

http://gnb.scout.com/2/1215600.html
Quote:
We think Desmond is going to be really good and fine when he’s well, but it’s going to take a long time,” Thompson said.
chucknorris101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that he will be kept back on technicality even if he could go, the stipulation is that it is a player who was on the final 53...while he was a starter last year technically he didnt make it to final cuts before IR, but maybe someone who knows better can correct me?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Fri/Sat at noon(pending last game) they need to have the paper work in if they choose Bishop as their guy. Doubt they will. That injury would be hell.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, just found out, here are the deets in more plain english

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/08/giants_justin_tuck_says_nfls_n.html
--Only one player may be designated the short-term IR player for the season.
--The designation must be made at the time the player is placed on IR.

--As I stated above, the player must remain on IR for at least eight weeks. After that, he can come off at any point or can remain on IR for as long as it takes him to get healthy.

--The player must be on the 53-man roster until Tuesday at 4 p.m. (Initial cutdowns to 53 must be made by 9 p.m. this Friday.)

--However, there is one exception. Since this change is being made so late in the process, players who are already on IR can be designated as short-term players. In those cases, the designation must be made by 9 p.m. Friday. This part doesn’t really affect the Giants, I wouldn’t think, because the players already on IR are DE Justin Trattou, DT Martin Parker and OL Brandon Mosley. I’d think they’d use the designation on a more integral player.

--The short-term designation is not transferrable. So for example, let’s say the Giants put Thomas on IR as their short-term guy and then he blows out his knee while trying to rehab and can’t come back. They can’t say, “Well, he was supposed to be our short-term guy, so we’re going to use that designation for somebody else.” Nope. Once a guy is your short-term guy, he’s your short-term guy and that’s it. No exceptions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a fresh from injury/possibly pushing it Desmond Bishop be better than a 16 game D.J. Smith? Part of me hopes that answer is no way. Let him heal and come back next year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:
Would a fresh from injury/possibly pushing it Desmond Bishop be better than a 16 game D.J. Smith? Part of me hopes that answer is no way. Let him heal and come back next year.

Especially given how touchy hamstrings can be, I'm not sure it's worth risking it for Bishop.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: