Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Casey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texantype

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Casey Reply with quote

I'm not sure Casey isn't better than either current tight end. Also he may be better than whoever is the 3rd WR. Why is this man not in the lineup full time.

No one in the NFL has better hands. Question Question Question
jargin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Casey Reply with quote

Texantype wrote:
I'm not sure Casey isn't better than either current tight end. Also he may be better than whoever is the 3rd WR. Why is this man not in the lineup full time.

First of all Casey has never been a full time TE in his life. Hes been a baseball player, a QB, a WR, a RB, a FB, a TE and a special teams ace.

Secondly Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson and Steve Smith all have just as good if not better hands than James Casey.

James Casey is a great football player and a great athlete. If you don't think hes on the field enough, you haven't been watching the preseason because Casey is the only starter I've seen who has played in the 2nd half of every game. He has been making plays when the 2nd team has been in there countless times with Yates at QB. If there is anyone who knows how to use this TE/FB/WR its probably Gary Kubiak.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Casey Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
Texantype wrote:

First of all Casey has never been a full time TE in his life. Hes been a baseball player, a QB, a WR, a RB, a FB, a TE and a special teams ace.

Secondly Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson and Steve Smith all have just as good if not better hands than James Casey.

James Casey is a great football player and a great athlete. If you don't think hes on the field enough, you haven't been watching the preseason because Casey is the only starter I've seen who has played in the 2nd half of every game. He has been making plays when the 2nd team has been in there countless times with Yates at QB. If there is anyone who knows how to use this TE/FB/WR its probably Gary Kubiak.

Garret Graham has been the standout of the preseason as far as I'm concerned and can clearly bring more playmaking ability in 2TEs sets than Dreessen ever did. This is actually a good thing for Casey. I think DCs in the AFC and across the league spent a good deal of time scheming on how to deal with the emerging two TE scheme. What they AREN'T prepared for is the re-emergence of the FB as a significant threat in the passing game and Gary isn't going to unleash that in the preseason. I think Casey has shown he can be good enough as a FB to warrant keeping him on the field, but to me the payoff is the 2 or 3 times where Casey splits the seam and goes uncovered against teams that are usually willing to just give up a few harmless swing passes to FBs like Vonta Leach. I don't know if you caught it, but there were a few times this week where we had 3 TE sets and threw out of them, instead of running. I love having the Casey hybrid role in our arsenal and hope Gary has the balls to go to a non traditional well once the games start counting.

BTW - The legit concern about Casey is durability, so let's not count on him bashing into o-lines and lbs 20 times per game and then being able to slide out and outrun a safety. There is a big difference from a job where you seek to AVOID contact and one like FB where your entire purpose is to hit someone on every play and hit them HARD. I think you have to have Norris and Graham involved as well to keep Casey in condition to do maximum damage as a receiver. FB reminds me a bit like Catcher in baseball, where at a certain point you are going to have to minimize expectations as a runner for sure and as a hitter somewhat, because of the pounding they take behind the plate. Remember when Biggio was a catcher?

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Texantype

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Casey Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
Texantype wrote:

You have valid points. My point is why keep a talented receiver at a head banging position when you have somebody like Moran Norris to do that?
jargin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Casey Reply with quote

Texantype wrote:
jargin wrote:
Texantype wrote:

You have valid points. My point is why keep a talented receiver at a head banging position when you have somebody like Moran Norris to do that?
You are missing Apollo's point entirely which is that Casey is better as a secret weapon fullback than he is if we consistently line him up out wide and declare him as a receiver. His value is in his versatility in Kubiak's scheme.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Casey Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
Texantype wrote:
jargin wrote:
Texantype wrote:

You are missing Apollo's point entirely which is that Casey is better as a secret weapon fullback than he is if we consistently line him up out wide and declare him as a receiver. His value is in his versatility in Kubiak's scheme.

This...

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Tate did fine last year with James Casey in front of him
Carrer marks:
992 catches 13,381 yards 63 TDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: