Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins trade CB Kevin Barnes to the Lions; Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tired of adding these types of CB's. They are nickel and diming us to death here.

Still adding bodies to that position for competition can't be bad. Can't wait for the day when we have a settled secondary.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
This guy will be on our roster come Sept. 9. He is not a scrub. Ultimately we would like to see him in the Nickel role. May be a Dime. With all the injuries we have, I could see him as our CB2 in a pinch. He does seem to have an uncanny ability to come up with the ball when least expected. Really seems like the type of guy we target for our secondary.

And WAS can't keep him in a single position long enough for him to actually play it. They bounced him back and forth so much I'm not sure he ever got a chance to know the playbook for his position. I expect whether it be CB or S, he will stick to what he starts out as here. He would probably be our 2nd/3rd S. I could see him starting opposite Delmas.

This is not true.

Not a playmaker, otherwise he would have been kept as that is what the Skins are looking for in the secondary.

He did practice at safety for what amounted to a month, but only when injuries hit. Otherwise, he was a corner for the other three and a half years. He was given more than enough regular season reps to improve, and it never happened. Maybe a different coach can help him with his technique and the mental aspect of the game.

A dime corner for a team hit by injuries, which explains the low return.

He is very intelligent - If a coaching staff takes the time with him, he is a sponge(sadly our secondary coaching is suspect as well) His passes deflected and INT per play involved in is VERY high. Which means he has a nose for the ball.

I see he didn't do crap for WAS, but let's not sell the kid short on the off chance your coaching staff was clueless on how to handle the poor kid.

Now kindly exit stage right before I tell you how I REALLY feel. I am not sure the best thing for this thread is embittered fans of his old team trashing him.

Embittered fan...perhaps. Let me look at it from your perspective and address what may make me bitter about Kevin Barnes. Unfortunately, you cannot throw me out Very Happy

He was drafted by Vinny Cerrato who was particularly poor with mid-round selections, and was picked before Ladarius Webb. Barnes hit his ceiling as an average dime corner, which is simply not good enough for his size and intelligence off the field. He has the physical skill-set, why else has he not succeeded? Maybe the Redskins organization is the only reason, but it could be the style of coaching.

The best way to determine if someone has a nose for the ball is to see them play, and see their anticipation and understanding of the play, ie. what the offense or the receiver is trying to do. The mental aspect of the game that I spoke of is route recognition, and his footwork and hand-use for technique. When he anticipates the play he is close to the receiver and he can use his long arms to get those deflections - the problem is that he consistently allows separation.

Kevin Barnes has received quality coaches. You are insinuating that the coaching staff did not spend time with him, which seems ludicrous considering he was on the roster since he has been drafted.

You always hope that the intelligent and mature players rise to the top, but sometimes they never take the next step. He could be a player rejuvenated with the Lions, but Shanahan was going to release him from a team that needs corner help.

Fair enough, but you must admit constantly bouncing a player around due to need or injuries is not very promising for his growth at any single position.
tytalton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bouncing around and failure to excel in any of the roles reminds me a bit of Spievey...not a bad pickup considering our need.

I think MM knows defensive backs and I have little reason to doubt this guy could have some value. I like his toughness - he likes to hit so he might endear himself to us in the end...
footy_29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Fair enough, but you must admit constantly bouncing a player around due to need or injuries is not very promising for his growth at any single position.

Undoubtedly. Trust me, I get this as I have been a utility back player for the last couple of years because my rugby club has some glaring holes. When you need to move positions several times a year, you cannot build the consistency in your technique and your play recognition.

But, that was not really the case for Barnes. Kareem Moore was atrocious with angles and tackling, and they lost Doughty and Horton, so they needed someone to patch he gap. When he played FS, that was a few weeks late 2010, ever since some FF Skins fans have wanted him to be the reserve FS to see if he could play better there; however, he has stayed at corner.

I really hope he's a late-bloomer. For those that would have wanted a corner over Ryan Broyles, that will be a temporary sentiment. No doubt in my mind he was the BPA, and glad Mayhew was the one who picked him.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

Undoubtedly. Trust me, I get this as I have been a utility back player for the last couple of years because my rugby club has some glaring holes. When you need to move positions several times a year, you cannot build the consistency in your technique and your play recognition.

But, that was not really the case for Barnes. Kareem Moore was atrocious with angles and tackling, and they lost Doughty and Horton, so they needed someone to patch he gap. When he played FS, that was a few weeks late 2010, ever since some FF Skins fans have wanted him to be the reserve FS to see if he could play better there; however, he has stayed at corner.

I really hope he's a late-bloomer. For those that would have wanted a corner over Ryan Broyles, that will be a temporary sentiment. No doubt in my mind he was the BPA, and glad Mayhew was the one who picked him.

From what I have read, he has been bounced to S 3 times total in his 2+ career years, including this preseason for a finale.

I really don't care which position we use him at, we need help at both, but I hope he stays wherever we put him.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
I'm tired of adding these types of CB's. They are nickel and diming us to death here.

Still adding bodies to that position for competition can't be bad. Can't wait for the day when we have a settled secondary.
Haha punny.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:

You're on a roll
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol they were going to release him... wow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_LiOnS wrote:

Yup. Just like when Chris Houston and Corey Williams were about to be cut.
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

your point? both had way more exp/playing time under ther belt. were the lions worried someone else would take him? lol. id keep my pick and move on. what a log jam for the dime spot huh very interesting...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_LiOnS wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

your point? both had way more exp/playing time under ther belt. were the lions worried someone else would take him? lol. id keep my pick and move on. what a log jam for the dime spot huh very interesting...

What pick?
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

What pick?
guess i assumed a pick was involved. havent read anything just posted bc i knew they were gonna release him sooner or later. what we give up?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_LiOnS wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
Go_LiOnS wrote:

What pick?
guess i assumed a pick was involved. havent read anything just posted bc i knew they were gonna release him sooner or later. what we give up?

Don't know. Was hoping you heard something I didn't.

Does smell of a swap of camp fodder though. I wouldn't doubt if we traded them a like player at a position of need for them. If it was a pick you can guarantee it was just a 7rd. And Barnes is better than any 7rd we could pick, so meh.
Go_LiOnS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idk if i agree. last couple years ther have been some decent looking players fall to the 7th. if its a swap tho its whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Twentymen said it is most likely a late pick (7th?) conditional. So if he doesn't play we don't give them anything.

Sig bet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: