Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 Up 5 Down vs. Buffalo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LTF

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: 5 Up 5 Down vs. Buffalo Reply with quote

I'm more of a reader here, but I always enjoy checking out the post game 5 up/5 down. Might as well start it.

Up:

1. Cortez Allen: Granted, Vince Young can make a CB look good and it's not like Buffalo is full of quality weapons, but he was as good as it gets. I'm fine with him being the nickel guy for now, especially since Lewis can't play inside and a nickel CB is basically a starter now anyways, but he's lived up to the hype (and I didn't know he was a quality blitzer either). As an aside, Brown is playing some solid ball as well.

2. Ben Roethlisberger: I still worry about this style of offense not being suited for the best aspects of his game, but last night he was very impressive. Overcame some early drops from his wideouts and finished strong. Was both accurate and decisive, and the back shoulder throws he's working in more are a beauty to watch.

3. Antonio Brown: Not much more you can say, he's been our best player this preseason. Had the early drop in open space when he was already running before making the catch, but was outstanding after that. Smooth, confident, explosive, and slicker than snot. Gonna be a stud this year regardless of what Wallace is doing. Been saying that all along.

4. Ryan Lee & Mike Adams: Lee has been a standout this whole preseason. Past the starters he's been our best o-lineman and really sticks out in comparison to guys like Beachum, Legursky, and Chris Scott. A positive of DeCastro going down is that Lee now likely makes the team. As for Adams, we know of his ups and downs this preseason, but last night was a big step forward. Looked significantly better in all facets, and what a block on the TD to Williams. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

5. Ziggy Hood: Is he going to be the dominant force Aaron Smith was? No, we all know that. But boy he's looked a lot better this preseason. The big thing now is he's not just locking up on guys -- he's making plays. Plays that force third and longs, that end drives, that cause turnovers... love it. Heyward was good as well.

5 Down:

1. DeCastro injury: Goes without saying, but at least it opens an opportunity for Lee who has been very impressive.

2. Special teams coverage and returns: I've got the feeling coverage is going to be an issue early on this season, especially with two ST studs in Sylvester and Worilds not being available. The return game is a big question mark since Rainey hasn't been impressive in that area and obviously Brown is too valuable to put back there.

3. Willie Colon: Last week we saw the good, this week more of the bad. Looked too slow on pulls and too late coming off the ball at the snap. The rest of the starting line had their problems as well, but obviously the Bills have invested heavily in their d-line and it shows. Players like Kyle Williams, Dareus, and Mario are very disruptive and tough for any o-line to contain.

4. Emmanuel Sanders: Bounced back with a couple of nice catches, but this hasn't been the best preseason for Sanders. Taking on Wallace's role in this offense is clearly more than he can handle at this point, but the talent is still obvious. I think he'll be fine once Wallace is back and he can go back to his old role.

5. Golden not taking it to the house: Don't let the QB tackle you son! Obviously reaching on this, but he definitely looks like he belongs at this level. Perfectly fine going with him and releasing Will Allen.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 5 Up 5 Down vs. Buffalo Reply with quote

LTF wrote:
I'm more of a reader here, but I always enjoy checking out the post game 5 up/5 down. Might as well start it.

Up:

1. Cortez Allen: Granted, Vince Young can make a CB look good and it's not like Buffalo is full of quality weapons, but he was as good as it gets. I'm fine with him being the nickel guy for now, especially since Lewis can't play inside and a nickel CB is basically a starter now anyways, but he's lived up to the hype (and I didn't know he was a quality blitzer either). As an aside, Brown is playing some solid ball as well.

2. Ben Roethlisberger: I still worry about this style of offense not being suited for the best aspects of his game, but last night he was very impressive. Overcame some early drops from his wideouts and finished strong. Was both accurate and decisive, and the back shoulder throws he's working in more are a beauty to watch.

3. Antonio Brown: Not much more you can say, he's been our best player this preseason. Had the early drop in open space when he was already running before making the catch, but was outstanding after that. Smooth, confident, explosive, and slicker than snot. Gonna be a stud this year regardless of what Wallace is doing. Been saying that all along.

4. Ryan Lee & Mike Adams: Lee has been a standout this whole preseason. Past the starters he's been our best o-lineman and really sticks out in comparison to guys like Beachum, Legursky, and Chris Scott. A positive of DeCastro going down is that Lee now likely makes the team. As for Adams, we know of his ups and downs this preseason, but last night was a big step forward. Looked significantly better in all facets, and what a block on the TD to Williams. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

5. Ziggy Hood: Is he going to be the dominant force Aaron Smith was? No, we all know that. But boy he's looked a lot better this preseason. The big thing now is he's not just locking up on guys -- he's making plays. Plays that force third and longs, that end drives, that cause turnovers... love it. Heyward was good as well.

5 Down:

1. DeCastro injury: Goes without saying, but at least it opens an opportunity for Lee who has been very impressive.

2. Special teams coverage and returns: I've got the feeling coverage is going to be an issue early on this season, especially with two ST studs in Sylvester and Worilds not being available. The return game is a big question mark since Rainey hasn't been impressive in that area and obviously Brown is too valuable to put back there.

3. Willie Colon: Last week we saw the good, this week more of the bad. Looked too slow on pulls and too late coming off the ball at the snap. The rest of the starting line had their problems as well, but obviously the Bills have invested heavily in their d-line and it shows. Players like Kyle Williams, Dareus, and Mario are very disruptive and tough for any o-line to contain.

4. Emmanuel Sanders: Bounced back with a couple of nice catches, but this hasn't been the best preseason for Sanders. Taking on Wallace's role in this offense is clearly more than he can handle at this point, but the talent is still obvious. I think he'll be fine once Wallace is back and he can go back to his old role.

5. Golden not taking it to the house: Don't let the QB tackle you son! Obviously reaching on this, but he definitely looks like he belongs at this level. Perfectly fine going with him and releasing Will Allen.

+1

Allen played like a starter, and not in the mold of previous starters either. He played well and it looks like we have 3 good cover CB's now if lewis comes back and is as good as he claims. It's what a defense needs in the league these days .

Adams played really well, and will keep getting better. He pancaked on a run block which never got a replay, but I saw it. His development is critical especially if there is another OG injury and they can slide Gilbert to OG and move Adams to RT.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant really argue with much there.

I think the Golden and Sanders ones are a bit picky (Brown had two bad drops as well, but he beasted it up after that)

Ill add...

Up
Cam Heyward and Ziggy Hood: Cam was unblockable last night on many plays. Hood was getting consistent pressure as well. IF they keep it up...future is bright.

Timmons: Was awful last week but we getting off blocks better and playing with fire.

Drew Butler: I like Kapinos more than most, but Butler has looked real good.

Chris Carter: Doesnt have a complete game yet, but he still has upside and better than Worlids, and going back further, most of the other depth we have had at LB over the years.

Down
Marcus Gilbert: Horribly bad all preseaosn. Getting beat left and right in both the running game and passing game. Hard to watch.

Pouncey: Has been average at best, and if Im being honest, Im beginning to wander if he will ever be the dominant center I thought he would be.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Cant really argue with much there.

I think the Golden and Sanders ones are a bit picky (Brown had two bad drops as well, but he beasted it up after that)

Ill add...

Up
Cam Heyward and Ziggy Hood: Cam was unblockable last night on many plays. Hood was getting consistent pressure as well. IF they keep it up...future is bright.

Timmons: Was awful last week but we getting off blocks better and playing with fire.

Drew Butler: I like Kapinos more than most, but Butler has looked real good.

Chris Carter: Doesnt have a complete game yet, but he still has upside and better than Worlids, and going back further, most of the other depth we have had at LB over the years.

Down
Marcus Gilbert: Horribly bad all preseaosn. Getting beat left and right in both the running game and passing game. Hard to watch.

Pouncey: Has been average at best, and if Im being honest, Im beginning to wander if he will ever be the dominant center I thought he would be.

I agree with your Pouncey assessment. If he went to a team with a decent OL when he first came into the league, he wouldn't have got the praise he has enjoyed. With better players next to him, he just looks decent.

If Gilbert doesn't get his game together, I look to see Adams replace him and move Gilbert to back up OG. I think he would be a good OG and Adams is making progress.

I too haven't really seen good play from Timmons but Carter is a good backup - worilds could be gone.
32houchen32

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOWNS

1.Decastro injury

2. Dropped catches. i know its preseason but these dropped catches are starting to scare the hell out of me

3. O-line. looks good on paper but not much improvment from last year

UPS

1. its still only preseason
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 UP
1. Mike Adams showed improvement - his hands were better
2. Derek Williams - showing up, he has been good on special teams coverage all pre season
3. Cam Heyward - I really wish he'd start, I believe that the most exciting thing of this year could/should be the starting Dline if Cam takes over for Keisel.
4. Max Starks - just that he was able to play
5. Brandon Hicks - played a nice game, Robinson has gotten all the pub but Hicks has been solid on the opposite side.

5 DOWN
1. DeCastro's Injury
2. I could hardly watch after that
3. Marcus Gilbert - Involved in the two injuries on plays he's been pushed/overwhelmed on, he's struggled just as much as Adams did.
4. Marquis Maze - can't drop that wide open pass fighting for a chance
5. Antonio Brown - that first drop P'd me off. They came out flat and not ready to play. Missed blocks on 2nd play by Oline put them in that hole and then DD's injury , it all felt related to me.

I had a nauseous bad feeling before the game because of seeing the Davin Joseph injury somehow I feared it would be Colon. Sorry to see it happen to either.

...you have a forum resume?
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
5 UP
2. Derek Williams - showing up, he has been good on special teams coverage all pre season
3. Cam Heyward - I really wish he'd start, I believe that the most exciting thing of this year could/should be the starting Dline if Cam takes over for Keisel.
5. Brandon Hicks - played a nice game, Robinson has gotten all the pub but Hicks has been solid on the opposite side.

5 DOWN
1. DeCastro's Injury
3. Marcus Gilbert - Involved in the two injuries on plays he's been pushed/overwhelmed on, he's struggled just as much as Adams did.
5. Antonio Brown - that first drop P'd me off. They came out flat and not ready to play. Missed blocks on 2nd play by Oline put them in that hole and then DD's injury , it all felt related to me.

I had a nauseous bad feeling before the game because of seeing the Davin Joseph injury somehow I feared it would be Colon. Sorry to see it happen to either.

JPN,
If Gilbert keeps regressing, do you think they will pull him and put Adams at RT once Adams is healthy? I see Gilbert as a modern Jugs able to play 4 positions on the OL, just not as good as Jugs though.

Starks Colon Pouncey Foster Adams - this could be a good OL. It has to happen before Gilbert falls on another team mate though.

+1 about Adams, he is going to be good and makes it look easy, no concerns here. It's just a matter of time before they realize Gilbert is the 6th OL .
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
5 UP

5 DOWN
1. DeCastro's Injury

JPN,
If Gilbert keeps regressing, do you think they will pull him and put Adams at RT once Adams is healthy? I see Gilbert as a modern Jugs able to play 4 positions on the OL, just not as good as Jugs though.

Starks Colon Pouncey Foster Adams - this could be a good OL. It has to happen before Gilbert falls on another team mate though.

+1 about Adams, he is going to be good and makes it look easy, no concerns here. It's just a matter of time before they realize Gilbert is the 6th OL .

Im not sure who you're referring to in Jugs?
Perhaps he can be that guy tho. He has better balance than Essex.(Enter Joke here)

I know I was not a fan at all of Gilberts coming out of college, he struggled mightily with feet and speed.

Mike needs a couple weeks to get himself together, he'll get a chance to come in sometime and then probably wont relinquish the spot. I really think both he and DeCastro needed those reps and time that they missed in OTA's, something to consider in the future when drafting.

...you have a forum resume?
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Big Ben (most accurate I've seen him in awhile. Looked to be in season form)

2. Max Starks (I had questions on how much he could recover from an injury. But man, did he play well. I thought he was the best starting lineman on the field. Seemed to get back into football shape in no time. What an asset he has become!)

3. Drew Butler (I agree with 43 that I think Kapinos is decent, but I actually now wouldn't mind keeping Butler instead. He did show though, he might be inconsistent. So, go with steady Kapinos? Or go with Risky Butler?)

4. Defensive Line (All these guys got pressure on the QB and made it hard for them to throw. I remember seeing Hood, Heyward, Woods, and Bryant all doing a great job)

5. RB's (They made Mendenhall seem unimportant missing him now. Although, Redman's stats weren't great, he did bounce back from his injury showing great balance. He's one of the most important players on our offense IMO, because he's the one capable of converting short and goal plays into TD's and 3rd and short into 4 new downs. Dwyer had a great catch and Rainey and Batch showed their ability when the line opens up for them. Hopefully, Dwyer learns not to go East-West at all when we need to pick up a yard.)

Notables: Leftwich and Derrick Williams both played really well and Williams gave himself a chance to beat out Gilreath for final WR spot.

Downs:

1. Decastro injury

2. Gilbert (Huge downgrade in pass protection when you compare Starks and Gilbert. Gilbert can be a decent run blocker usually like Mike Adams, but they both need to become a lot better protecting the passer.)

3. Refs calling Redman for block in the back when he wasn't even on the field

4. Special Teams on kickoffs and punting coverages

5. The Steelers-Bills gameday thread consisting of some obnoxious posters.
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
3rivers wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
5 UP

5 DOWN
1. DeCastro's Injury

JPN,

Im not sure who you're referring to in Jugs?
Perhaps he can be that guy tho. He has better balance than Essex.(Enter Joke here)

I know I was not a fan at all of Gilberts coming out of college, he struggled mightily with feet and speed.

Mike needs a couple weeks to get himself together, he'll get a chance to come in sometime and then probably wont relinquish the spot. I really think both he and DeCastro needed those reps and time that they missed in OTA's, something to consider in the future when drafting.

Jugs -> Strzelczyk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: