Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brian Rolle vs Jamar Chaney for starting WILL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rolle vs Chaney
Brian Rolle
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Jamar Chaney
75%
 75%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 28

nlesthought

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Chaney-May-The-Best-Man-Win/7904ad46-86e6-4587-bb25-d12e4c3d36f4

Quote:
Chaney was not expected to take part in the Organized Team Activities because of the offseason neck procedure he underwent, but when the Organized Team Activities began on Tuesday at the NovaCare Complex he was out there on the field.

Quote:
Chaney said he wasn't with the starters, but instead competing against Brian Rolle for the weakside linebacker job. It's the one linebacker spot where Chaney hasn't started in his first two seasons.

Quote:
"May the best man win if it's just me and him battling it out."

I understand getting your best 3 LBs out there but as it states its the one position he hasn't started, why put him there? He may have the skill set, but we've had athletic WLB before who didn't pan out. Why not put him in @ Sam (where's he's played) and make Kendricks earn the spot @ Sam? Didn't they make the same mistake yrs past penciling rookies in only to watch them struggle?

Do they not expect Kendricks to struggle with the move from MLB to Sam getting detached from TEs and reading route combos?
Brick wall

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our SAM is very close to a 3-4 ILB which he knows from college, and the difference between SAM and WILL isn't exactly huge in our scheme.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nslthought wrote:
I understand getting your best 3 LBs out there but as it states its the one position he hasn't started, why put him there? He may have the skill set, but we've had athletic WLB before who didn't pan out. Why not put him in @ Sam (where's he's played) and make Kendricks earn the spot @ Sam? Didn't they make the same mistake yrs past penciling rookies in only to watch them struggle?

Do they not expect Kendricks to struggle with the move from MLB to Sam getting detached from TEs and reading route combos?

You have to realize, in our scheme the SAM is used like a second ILB, although the SAM is used more of a secondary MIKE, lined up between the LDE and LDT. The WILL still lines up outside the RDE. The MIKE lines up over the RDT and reacts to the side of the play.

They also brought the Strong Safety in the box the last 6 or so games, improving the run defense. Because our corners can cover and when Allen was healthy we actually had a Free Safety with some range in coverage. We will probably also line up Cox at LDE a lot on running downs as well, so that should improve the run defense as well.

Arrow Basically what it looks like in most base packages:

Rodgers-Cromartie-------------------Babin--------Patterson-----Jenkins--------Cole-------------------Asomugha
------------------------Jarrett/Coleman-----Kendricks---------------Ryans-------------Chaney/Rolle---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------Allen-----------------------------------------------------------

He can cover tightends, he did it in the PAC-12 and while he wasn't in man often in college, when he was he showed he can do it. CAL ran a lot more Cover-2 than man, although there were some instances where Kendricks played Man on a back or tight end and looked good. He is a good blitzer up the middle, and is a gap shooting linebacker. He won't be asked to set the edge much in our defense.
nlesthought

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
nslthought wrote:

You have to realize, in our scheme the SAM is used like a second ILB, although the SAM is used more of a secondary MIKE, lined up between the LDE and LDT. The WILL still lines up outside the RDE. The MIKE lines up over the RDT and reacts to the side of the play.

They also brought the Strong Safety in the box the last 6 or so games, improving the run defense. Because our corners can cover and when Allen was healthy we actually had a Free Safety with some range in coverage. We will probably also line up Cox at LDE a lot on running downs as well, so that should improve the run defense as well.

Rodgers-Cromartie-------------------Babin--------Patterson-----Jenkins--------Cole-------------------Asomugha
------------------------Jarrett/Coleman-----Kendricks---------------Ryans-------------Chaney/Rolle---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------Allen-----------------------------------------------------------

He can cover tightends, he did it in the PAC-12 and while he wasn't in man often in college, when he was he showed he can do it. CAL ran a lot more Cover-2 than man, although there were some instances where Kendricks played Man on a back or tight end and looked good. He is a good blitzer up the middle, and is a gap shooting linebacker. He won't be asked to set the edge much in our defense.

The Sam is not a "secondary Mike", he's an outside LB that plays on the strong side of the formation. His alignment varies from time to time and his gap(s) responsibility will also vary pending the defensive front. In the wide 9 the DE is outside the TE so the Sam would be lined up in a 50 alignment which is outside shade of the OT. ILB in a 3-4 are generally lined up in a 30 or somewhere over the OG.

But that wasn't the point of my post, I thought I clearly stated that handing a job to a rookie without any competition isn't the best way to approach this. We've done it before with the other positions as well as Matthews (a LB) last yr. granted Kendricks is more athletic but he like Matthews come from the Pac-12 (I'm not sure if that actually means anything) and was handed the job. Yes Kendricks gets a full off-season

EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
nslthought wrote:

The Sam is not a "secondary Mike", he's an outside LB that plays on the strong side of the formation. His alignment varies from time to time and his gap(s) responsibility will also vary pending the defensive front. In the wide 9 the DE is outside the TE so the Sam would be lined up in a 50 alignment which is outside shade of the OT. ILB in a 3-4 are generally lined up in a 30 or somewhere over the OG.

But that wasn't the point of my post, I thought I clearly stated that handing a job to a rookie without any competition isn't the best way to approach this. We've done it before with the other positions as well as Matthews (a LB) last yr. granted Kendricks is more athletic but he like Matthews come from the Pac-12 (I'm not sure if that actually means anything) and was handed the job. Yes Kendricks gets a full off-season

Thats not true at all, in fact the SAM is supposed to be the most active linebacker in our defense. In any other defense, yes the SAM is lined up on the outside, but to be lined up outside the DE in the run game would leave the defense even worse than it was last year as there would be a free 5 yards every play for a back. Nor is he lined up on the LOS:

Quote:
Remember, we donít put the LB up on the LOS like we used to. The SAM now is back off the ball and plays like an ILB to a certain extent.

Now as far as the second point, I kind of agree with, handing a rookie a job could be tough, but Kendricks was a 2nd rounder and much more talented then Matthews, who was a 4th rounder.
nlesthought

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
nlesthought wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
nslthought wrote:

Thats not true at all, in fact the SAM is supposed to be the most active linebacker in our defense. In any other defense, yes the SAM is lined up on the outside, but to be lined up outside the DE in the run game would leave the defense even worse than it was last year as there would be a free 5 yards every play for a back. Nor is he lined up on the LOS:

Quote:
Remember, we donít put the LB up on the LOS like we used to. The SAM now is back off the ball and plays like an ILB to a certain extent.

Now as far as the second point, I kind of agree with, handing a rookie a job could be tough, but Kendricks was a 2nd rounder and much more talented then Matthews, who was a 4th rounder.

EF53681 please go back and read what I wrote and tell me where I said the Sam will be outside the DE?

EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
nlesthought wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
nslthought wrote:

Quote:

EF53681 please go back and read what I wrote and tell me where I said the Sam will be outside the DE?

I misread your post, I apoligize.
PowerElite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting job check homie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gZvcXYR_kc
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:

So you brought up a thread where no one was right? Chaney isn't the starter either (which a lot of us guessed would be the case)

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?
PowerElite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
PowerElite wrote:

So you brought up a thread where no one was right? Chaney isn't the starter either (which a lot of us guessed would be the case)

He has a injured left hamstring AFTER getting promoted to nickle duty. Jamar is trending up. Rolle is rolling down. Laughing
gator3guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you the same guy that trashed Kuechly but wanted Zach Brown?
PowerElite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gator3guy wrote:

April 1, 2012
PowerElite wrote:

Being a soft ILB is totally unacceptable out of a 1st round pick. Kuechly looks like a good 43 WILL candidate. To put him in the middle of a defense early in his career could prove disastrous. You can win by simply running right at the guy.

Where he is currently starting...

It's only a matter of time before Chaney is the starting WILL. He just needs to get healthy.
gator3guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
gator3guy wrote:

April 1, 2012
PowerElite wrote:

Being a soft ILB is totally unacceptable out of a 1st round pick. Kuechly looks like a good 43 WILL candidate. To put him in the middle of a defense early in his career could prove disastrous. You can win by simply running right at the guy.

Where he is currently starting...

It's only a matter of time before Chaney is the starting WILL. He just needs to get healthy.

I don't see how a guy that made 200 tackles a year can be soft. And don't give me your highlights of him getting "run over". He would have produced anywhere on the field. It just so happens Carolina already has a Pro Bowler in the middle.
Withmy89vision

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I think Rolle should be the starting WILL with Chaney being the primary backup at all 3 spots, then we only dress one other LB in Akeem Jordan. Maybe even only keep 5 LBs, because I can't think who is worth keeping as the sixth.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withmy89vision wrote:
At this point, I think Rolle should be the starting WILL with Chaney being the primary backup at all 3 spots, then we only dress one other LB in Akeem Jordan. Maybe even only keep 5 LBs, because I can't think who is worth keeping as the sixth.

They have to keep 6. Backup LB's are usually your core special teamers. I can't think of a team that keeps fewer than 6. If they don't think #6 is on the roster they will pick one up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: