Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Denver Broncos Training Camp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mile High

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Mark Kiszla: Broncos can fix dents in their defense with 3-4 alignment:

http://bit.ly/NWxJUc

He seems to have a point but would this move be really feasible at this point? Right now, I would even say that our LB corps is more of a weakness than our DL corps. A 4-3 would put more capable players in at once, whereas as 3-4 would mask some of our personel problems at the LB position. Yet to have 4 LBs in the game on a constant basis requires more depth at this position. Also, Mays, Brooking, Mohamed and Irving aren't exactly the body types for a 3-4 MLB.

4-3:

Wolfe-Warren-Bannan-Dumervil
Miller-Mays-Woodyard

3-4:

Wolfe-Warren-Bannan
Miller-Mays-Brooking-Dumervil

Good idea...except:

John Fox/Jack Del Rio run a 4-3. I'd rather run whichever defense is going to be called better and that is undoubtably the 4-3, with the 25+ years those two have between them calling the 4-3.

No NT. - This is the most important part. Warren isn't near big enough to play NT, and neither is any other lineman on our team. Without a sufficient NT, the 3-4 defense fails. Warren can't take up 2 gaps. The defense will fail.

Depth: Who can play rush end other than Miller/Doom. Hunter who is hurt. And that's it. Not good enough for me.

Jamison. mad props on this amazing Sig!!!
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said this earlier in the preseason before Fox named JDR our DC. I felt this team was better suited for the 3-4 mainly because of the skills from Doom and Von. I like this idea even more now with the addition of Wolfe and the play from Irving and Vickerson.

If we got a pure 3-4 NT then yes. However, good (not even great) 3-4 NT's are hard to come by. Not enough college teams run the 3-4 to be able to draft a good one. You're basically running into the "projectability" question every year then.

After getting a 3-4 NT, were going to need some serious depth players.

It'll be tough but you'll need a head coach and a defensive coordinator that want to go down that road, which is clearly not what we have here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Teams always run well on us when we are in our Nickel defense, so a 3-4/4-3 wouldn't matter anyway. And you don't just switch the alignment of your Defense with 2 preseason games left to play.

Not to mention the difference between 3-4 and 4-3 isn't that big deal and is downright insigificant compared to the differences in overall philosophies(gap concepts, blitz concepts, coverage concepts, tendencies etc) which are not something that is going to suddenly change if you switch to a 3-4.

Or that Elvis Dumervil standing up or having his hands in the dirt is completely irrelevant as he would primarily be a player with his hand in the dirt in either "scheme." The very idea that Keith Brooking would improve the defense or that Brooking in any scheme is anything more than a terrible football player is absurd. Or the myriad of other things one could criticize. Heck, even the premise that Vickerson shouldn't be in the starting lineup is bothersome to me. I feel idiotic just trying to respond to the article seriously.
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:
Teams always run well on us when we are in our Nickel defense, so a 3-4/4-3 wouldn't matter anyway. And you don't just switch the alignment of your Defense with 2 preseason games left to play.

Not to mention the difference between 3-4 and 4-3 isn't that big deal and is downright insigificant compared to the differences in overall philosophies(gap concepts, blitz concepts, coverage concepts, tendencies etc) which are not something that is going to suddenly change if you switch to a 3-4.

Or that Elvis Dumervil standing up or having his hands in the dirt is completely irrelevant as he would primarily be a player with his hand in the dirt in either "scheme." The very idea that Keith Brooking would improve the defense or that Brooking in any scheme is anything more than a terrible football player is absurd. Or the myriad of other things one could criticize. Heck, even the premise that Vickerson shouldn't be in the starting lineup is bothersome to me. I feel idiotic just trying to respond to the article seriously.

Kiszla is an idiot. That whole article is just trash. After you try to get around the fact that we don't have an adequate nose to run the 3-4 effectively, we don't have any sort of 3-4 depth, and this team is clearly built to be a 4-3 team. If he wants to mention that we COULD (and I emphasize could) occasionally run a 3-4, that's a different story, but to suggest it'll just make the defense better is absurd.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Mr.MileHigh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manning played great today! Not like he is playing for a roster spot but 15 players cut tomorrow. Predictions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: