Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seattle Selects Russell Wilson with the 75th Pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a pretty fun read...

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
hdshot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
This was a pretty fun read...

The fat lady will be singing either way soon on who will start week 1. Atleast Wilson showed it will be ok to send tjax packing.
immuhguy10

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immuhguy10 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
This move confused me...

We already have 2 mobile QB's on the roster AND a franchise (potential) QB...WHY????

Potential key word. T-jack has one more year on deal and we owe him 4 Mil...he is gone. Wilson is a winner...bring him in to push Flynn, and if Flynn doesnt work out, we have a legit backup.

Liked it too...was still surprised but not upset by the pick at all.

Props to Kempes on the sig.
outside_Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shazor was the guy most in favor.

"We all we got, we all we need"
hawksman81

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
At least pick a player that has a chance, to be a good starting player. I hate Nick Foles, but I would have taken him 7 days a week, over Wilson, because at least he meets the minimum height requirement that it takes, to even have a shot at succeeding in the NFL. Wilson's lack of height, means he has no chance. I guarantee he'll never be a good franchise QB. In fact, I'm so sure, that if he does, I'll leave the board and I'll never post again. Mad

Hmmmm.... Laughing

Not saying hes a franchise QB.. but still...

SaveourSonics wrote:
I love D!ck

JustisM wrote:
Why'd they turn the lights on?
Big Ben is more effective in the dark.
klyon7634

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawksman81 wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
At least pick a player that has a chance, to be a good starting player. I hate Nick Foles, but I would have taken him 7 days a week, over Wilson, because at least he meets the minimum height requirement that it takes, to even have a shot at succeeding in the NFL. Wilson's lack of height, means he has no chance. I guarantee he'll never be a good franchise QB. In fact, I'm so sure, that if he does, I'll leave the board and I'll never post again. Mad

Hmmmm.... Laughing

wonder if he will actually leave this site like he says he will Laughing

Seahawks~ Yankees~ Knicks~ Syracuse Orange

#JDI
outside_Insider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across an interesting article recently which compared Luck to Wilson:

Quote:
Ranking the QB prospects by adjusted college QBER

On this blog, I judge Quarterback performance using a formula I call Quarterback Efficiency Rating (“QBER”). Quarterback efficiency rating calculates the number of net forward yards produced by the quarterback for every “non-productive” play (sack or incompletion). Last season in the National Football League only one team (Baltimore Ravens) made the playoffs without having a quarterback whose QBER was above the NFL average. So efficient quarterback play meshes with winning, especially in this era of the forward pass.

Wilson vs. the Field vs. the Common Opponents

There are common opponents between Wilson and five of the other QB prospects. Two opponents common to 4 of the prospects (Wilson, Luck, Nick Foles of Arizona, and Brock Osweiler of Arizona State) are Oregon and Oregon State. One opponent common to both Wilson and Boise State QB Kellen Moore was UNLV. And, of course, Wilson and Michigan State’s QB Kirk Cousins shared four common opponents in the expanded Big Ten. As you can see below, in each scenario, Wilson wayyyyy outperforms every one of his rivals.

QBER: Wilson vs. Andrew Luck, Nick Foles, and Brock Osweiler (common: Oregon and Oregon State)

1. Russell Wilson…..31.01

2. Nick Foles…..14.85

3. Andrew Luck…..14.51

4. Brock Osweiler….9.16

QBER: Wilson v. Kellen Moore (common opponent: UNLV)

1. Russell Wilson….61.81

2. Kellen Moore, Boise St…..16.07

QBER: Wilson v. Kirk Cousins (common opponents: Nebraska, Indiana, Ohio State, and Minnesota)

1. Russell Wilson…..24.86

2. Kirk Cousins…..15.31

Wilson way out front against all common opponents

As you can see, Russell Wilson outdid all of against common opponents, and most of the numbers are not even close. Most impressively in my mind, Wilson well outdid Luck and the other Pac 12 draft prospects against the mighty Oregon Ducks, an opponent that had over a month to view tape on Wilson and prepare itself to stymie Wilson’s attack in the 2012 Rose Bowl. Yet he excelled in that game. The Ducks never laid a glove on him all day long. Wilson and Monte Ball combined to keep Wisconsin in the game on a day when the Wisconsin defense was giving up long touchdown plays left, right, and center (literally).

In the Rose Bowl game, Wilson put on a performance that will never be forgotten by Badger football fans. With the bright lights shining on him, Wilson was simply brilliant. He posted a QBER of 30.44, which was +19.81 better than the Ducks extremely aggressive pass defense had been allowing to that point. Wilson made one mistake all day, an interception, and it probably cost Wisconsin the game. But somehow, even with that mistake, Wilson nearly succeeded. Wilson, in pure Roger Staubach fashion, almost pulled off a miraculous 70 yard, 18 second drive that would have led the Badgers to the winning score, and would have made him immortal. But Coach Bret Bielema’s idiotic game management cost him the precious two seconds he needed to completely work his magic. Thus, the clock ran out as he tried to spike the ball to give himself one last shot at the end zone, a play that many in Badger Nation, myself included, are almost certain would have ended with a touchdown.

By contrast, Andrew Luck had one of his worst games against Oregon. The unlucky Luck posted a pretty feeble 9.53, in a Stanford loss that basically crippled Stanford’s shot at a national championship. Luck’s performance was below the Oregon passing defense’s average, so the best prospect since Elway did not distinguish himself in that game. The second best performance against the Ducks defense was posted by Arizona’s Nick Foles with a QBER of 11.07. Still, that was nowhere near what Wilson did. Wilson basically lapped the Pac 12 field twice.

Wilson did the same to Kellen Moore, the Boise State quarterback, versus their common opponent, UNLV. Yes, UNLV sucked, but Wilson abused them to a degree that was much worse than any abuse Moore was able to inflict against the same defense.

Finally, in the Big Ten matchups, Wilson outdid his counterpart Cousins. In fact, Wilson outdid every one of his fellow prospects in EVERY ONE of the games played against common opponents except one. Against the Indiana Hoosiers, Kirk Cousins posted a QBER of 29.61, whereas Wilson, in a blowout, posted “only” a 19.45.

"We all we got, we all we need"
titans0021

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading my thoughts from earlier in this thread, I come across better than I usually do when "I told you so" type threads are bumped to the top. So of course this would be in the Seahawks forum rather than the one I actually moderate. Laughing

Adopted Titans - Sammie Lee Hill and Jackie Battle
chpjns15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawksman81 wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:

Hmmmm.... Laughing

So I guess that come next april, we know not to trust TheOsprey with anything he says about QBs. Foles is lighting it up for philly Laughing

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
Sacks98

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chpjns15 wrote:
hawksman81 wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:

Hmmmm.... Laughing

So I guess that come next april, we know not to trust TheOsprey with anything he says about QBs. Foles is lighting it up for philly Laughing

To be fair Foles didn't really look that good playing in College his final year.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
chpjns15 wrote:
hawksman81 wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:

Hmmmm.... Laughing

To be fair Foles didn't really look that good playing in College his final year.
I think I was the only person on here that kinda liked Foles Laughing I still only would've been willing to use a 4th or 5th on him.

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
Pie Romania

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wilson has many of the same characteristics of Vick, and that isn't a bad thing. He doesn't have the arm Vick does, but it is still strong enough to make all the necessary NFL throws. His mobility isn't as good, but it is enough to be a game changer and to keep the sticks moving. Everything that Vick lacked though, Wilson has it by the boat load. Leadership, accuracy and a calm and collective manner on and off the field. The dude is smart too. I like Flynn, don't get me wrong, but Wilson is the spark, the leadership we have missed on offense for a while. He's the under dog with a chip on his shoulder and he plays like he's on a mission. You can't help but fall in love with the way he conducts himself. I think we found our diamond in the rough and we are on our way to becoming the powerhouse we all hoped and knew we could be with a star at the quarterback position.
titans0021

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Oh this is going to be fun.
TheOsprey wrote:
Absolutely, without a doubt, the WORST pick of the entire draft, by any team. Even worse than Jacksonville, selecting a punter.

No. No it's not.
Quote:
Wilson has zero chance of ever becoming a good franchise QB

Well he is coming off of one of the most efficient season's in NCAA history. He has a great arm, is accurate and is a quality decision maker. If a team can believe that Ryan Tannehill is worth a top ten pick, taking a shot on a guy who has ONE real weakness is a shot worth taking.

Quote:
How do I know he will fail?

Well...you don't.
Quote:
History, says so. The only guy under 6' tall who has even reached marginal success as a starter was Flutie and he completely washed out of the league, the first time around. He had to go to Canada, before coming back and even then, he was completely overhyped.

Well that wasn't really his career path. He wasn't given a chance because of his height, was forced to spend the prime of his career in Canada, and still came back to have some success. At 37. So yes, had he actually been given an opportunity to have success in his prime, he likely could've been even more productive.

Quote:
That's not franchise numbers, but he made his name because of his scrambling ability. Back then, that was a rarity, but now, just about every QB is a scrambler, so that doesn't buy you anything new anymore.

The running quarterback isn't new. Look at the number of true scrambling starting quarterbacks in the NFL. It's right around the same as it has been for decades. And considering Flutie ran the ball more than 53 times once in his NFL career, it's not really true either.

Quote:
Wilson is nothing more than a Seneca Wallace type at best and you just don't spend 3rd rounders on those types of players, when you have other real needs.

Seneca Wallace completed 55% of his passes and threw more interceptions than touchdowns his senior year at Iowa State. Russell Wilson completed 73% of his passes and threw 33 touchdowns and four interceptions. Literally the only similarity is height. That's it. Period.

It'd be like comparing Chris Johnson when he came out to Trung Candidate. Why? Because they're fast. Who cares about watching them play or actually looking at what they bring to the table? They have one similar trait so they must be the same.

Quote:
There are 3 types of players that I despise. 1. Smurf QB's 2. Running QB's 3. Midget CB's. Wilson fits 2 of those 3 criteria.

In their junior and senior seasons, Wilson had four more rushing attempts than Steve Young. There is a difference between being a running quarterback and a mobile quarterback. Wilson uses his athleticism to extend plays and open up passing lanes, it's a pretty big strength.

Quote:
Some of you were complaining about Irvin's character issues and wanted squeaky clean players instead.

Agreed. You got a player than understands the game, that is great in the locker room and works incredibly hard to get better. So yes, you are right there, you got the exact kind of personality that coaches love to have.

Quote:
it was a wasted pick. We might as well of took a dump on that draft card and flushed it down the toilet, because it won't help this team in the slightest.

Your hatred for a player simply because of one attribute is rather strange and baffling.

Quote:
Smurf QB's do not work in the NFL

I would like you to name a couple "smurf" QB's that have Wilson's skillset, college production and success behind an offensive line that averaged 6'5". Wilson has been groomed to be a pro quarterback. He's not Troy Smith and he sure as hell isn't Seneca Wallace.

Quote:
Just by selecting him at this point in the draft, you just told Matt Flynn, you have no confidence in him. Nice job, front office. Rolling Eyes

Or you're adding a player with potential and filling a hole behind a starting quarterback that has started two career games.

Quote:
At least pick a player that has a chance, to be a good starting player.

They did.
Quote:
I hate Nick Foles, but I would have taken him 7 days a week, over Wilson, because at least he meets the minimum height requirement that it takes, to even have a shot at succeeding in the NFL.

I was unaware that the NFL is a roller coaster in which players can't have success beneath a certain height. Glad no one told Darren Sproles. Or MJD. Or Wes Welker. Man, they might have been kind of bummed.

Quote:
Wilson's lack of height, means he has no chance.

No chance is very strong wording. It is not literally impossible for him to have no chance.

Quote:
I guarantee he'll never be a good franchise QB. In fact, I'm so sure, that if he does, I'll leave the board and I'll never post again. Mad

Don't really have anything to say to this.

I just ask you to watch the man play football and try to look past his height, even for just a couple minutes. He has a great (and high) release, he is accurate, he can throw the deep out route with velocity and he always keeps his eyes downfield. He worked behind a gigantic offensive line and was still able to make every throw from the pocket.

May he fail because of his height? Sure. But I would argue that his lone flaw is no worse than the countless flaws of players like Tannehill and Osweiler. The guy has a will to win and straight up knows the game of football.

Man, from what I remember from draft day, I had to try really, really hard to remain civil in this post. Laughing

Pie Romania

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
Oh this is going to be fun.
TheOsprey wrote:
Absolutely, without a doubt, the WORST pick of the entire draft, by any team. Even worse than Jacksonville, selecting a punter.

No. No it's not.
Quote:
Wilson has zero chance of ever becoming a good franchise QB

Well he is coming off of one of the most efficient season's in NCAA history. He has a great arm, is accurate and is a quality decision maker. If a team can believe that Ryan Tannehill is worth a top ten pick, taking a shot on a guy who has ONE real weakness is a shot worth taking.

Quote:
How do I know he will fail?

Well...you don't.
Quote:
History, says so. The only guy under 6' tall who has even reached marginal success as a starter was Flutie and he completely washed out of the league, the first time around. He had to go to Canada, before coming back and even then, he was completely overhyped.

Well that wasn't really his career path. He wasn't given a chance because of his height, was forced to spend the prime of his career in Canada, and still came back to have some success. At 37. So yes, had he actually been given an opportunity to have success in his prime, he likely could've been even more productive.

Quote:
That's not franchise numbers, but he made his name because of his scrambling ability. Back then, that was a rarity, but now, just about every QB is a scrambler, so that doesn't buy you anything new anymore.

The running quarterback isn't new. Look at the number of true scrambling starting quarterbacks in the NFL. It's right around the same as it has been for decades. And considering Flutie ran the ball more than 53 times once in his NFL career, it's not really true either.

Quote:
Wilson is nothing more than a Seneca Wallace type at best and you just don't spend 3rd rounders on those types of players, when you have other real needs.

Seneca Wallace completed 55% of his passes and threw more interceptions than touchdowns his senior year at Iowa State. Russell Wilson completed 73% of his passes and threw 33 touchdowns and four interceptions. Literally the only similarity is height. That's it. Period.

It'd be like comparing Chris Johnson when he came out to Trung Candidate. Why? Because they're fast. Who cares about watching them play or actually looking at what they bring to the table? They have one similar trait so they must be the same.

Quote:
There are 3 types of players that I despise. 1. Smurf QB's 2. Running QB's 3. Midget CB's. Wilson fits 2 of those 3 criteria.

In their junior and senior seasons, Wilson had four more rushing attempts than Steve Young. There is a difference between being a running quarterback and a mobile quarterback. Wilson uses his athleticism to extend plays and open up passing lanes, it's a pretty big strength.

Quote:
Some of you were complaining about Irvin's character issues and wanted squeaky clean players instead.

Agreed. You got a player than understands the game, that is great in the locker room and works incredibly hard to get better. So yes, you are right there, you got the exact kind of personality that coaches love to have.

Quote:
it was a wasted pick. We might as well of took a dump on that draft card and flushed it down the toilet, because it won't help this team in the slightest.

Your hatred for a player simply because of one attribute is rather strange and baffling.

Quote:
Smurf QB's do not work in the NFL

I would like you to name a couple "smurf" QB's that have Wilson's skillset, college production and success behind an offensive line that averaged 6'5". Wilson has been groomed to be a pro quarterback. He's not Troy Smith and he sure as hell isn't Seneca Wallace.

Quote:
Just by selecting him at this point in the draft, you just told Matt Flynn, you have no confidence in him. Nice job, front office. Rolling Eyes

Or you're adding a player with potential and filling a hole behind a starting quarterback that has started two career games.

Quote:
At least pick a player that has a chance, to be a good starting player.

They did.
Quote:
I hate Nick Foles, but I would have taken him 7 days a week, over Wilson, because at least he meets the minimum height requirement that it takes, to even have a shot at succeeding in the NFL.

I was unaware that the NFL is a roller coaster in which players can't have success beneath a certain height. Glad no one told Darren Sproles. Or MJD. Or Wes Welker. Man, they might have been kind of bummed.

Quote:
Wilson's lack of height, means he has no chance.

No chance is very strong wording. It is not literally impossible for him to have no chance.

Quote:
I guarantee he'll never be a good franchise QB. In fact, I'm so sure, that if he does, I'll leave the board and I'll never post again. Mad

Don't really have anything to say to this.

I just ask you to watch the man play football and try to look past his height, even for just a couple minutes. He has a great (and high) release, he is accurate, he can throw the deep out route with velocity and he always keeps his eyes downfield. He worked behind a gigantic offensive line and was still able to make every throw from the pocket.

May he fail because of his height? Sure. But I would argue that his lone flaw is no worse than the countless flaws of players like Tannehill and Osweiler. The guy has a will to win and straight up knows the game of football.

Man, from what I remember from draft day, I had to try really, really hard to remain civil in this post. Laughing

Well played. While I may not have agreed with some of the picks made this draft, I like to watch whoever we draft before being so judgemental. It is one thing to not agree with a pick, but to be so against a player who has obviously earned the right to even be considered where they were picked, is ridiculous. I don't mind eating crow from time to time when I am wrong, because when it comes to the Hawks, I never get my hopes up, so when I am wrong, it means the player has exceeded my expectations. Expect the worst, hope for the best. Thinking your scouting prowess is the end all-be all? There is a reason why you're not a part of any sport's scouting department....

Anyway, again, well done for maintaining your composure. So far, you appear to be correct about Wilson. Let's just hope it continues Smile
titans0021

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and with that said I've been wrong about countless prospects, just never really understood why people hated on Wilson so much because of his height. I mean, he has a high release point, a strong and accurate arm, makes good-decisions and (as I'm sure you guys are already seeing) is great in the locker room and has that "IT" factor that helps him command the respect of the huddle from almost the moment he steps onto the practice field.

What I saw the guy do in Wisconsin, with ridiculously little prep time, really won me and the rest of the Badgers fans over. Russell is really just an incredibly likable guy and that's why I'll probably be posting in here pretty often throughout the regular season. Laughing

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: