Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jeff Demps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
Great news...he's expected to sign with the Pats. Sad

Wow...the rich get richer, I guess!

Maybe Clark or Harrison will KO the olymian Laughing
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard on nfln that they only want him as a return man. That's not needed here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

Of course thats probably the most he'll be able to do THIS year with only a couple weeks before the season, but by next year could be dangerous threat once he learns the offense.

If he turns out to be a Devin Hester type, will you still claim thats "not needed here". With Brown likely not to return kicks as much, we dont have a proven returner YET. There is not guarnatee Demps will be any good, but there is no guarantee Rainey will either.

He signed with the Pats, so whats done is done....but there is no reason write him off like he couldnt have helped this team. He has just as much chance of doing something for the Pats as Rainey has doing anything for us.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Of course thats probably the most he'll be able to do THIS year with only a couple weeks before the season, but by next year could be dangerous threat once he learns the offense.

If he turns out to be a Devin Hester type, will you still claim thats "not needed here". With Brown likely not to return kicks as much, we dont have a proven returner YET. There is not guarnatee Demps will be any good, but there is no guarantee Rainey will either.

He signed with the Pats, so whats done is done....but there is no reason write him off like he couldnt have helped this team. He has just as much chance of doing something for the Pats as Rainey has doing anything for us.
I'd still take 3 guys we have over him:

Brown
Rainey
Marquis Maze

IMO, they are all better return men.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000052491/article/jeff-demps-receives-financial-commitment-from-pats?module=HP11_headline_stack

Sounds like nobody really wanted him.. Shocked

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I'd still take 3 guys we have over him:

Brown
Rainey
Marquis Maze

IMO, they are all better return men.

Brown is obvious. No reason to even mention him considering he is a proven NFL talent.

Rainey and Maze have not shown squat. Rainey is looking nice so I likely wouldnt give him up. And thats not to say you are wrong about them being better return men, but the point Im getting at is it seems as if you are blindly writing Demps off for no apparent reason, and no offense, but a few of your comments make me wonder how much of Demps you even saw. The fact that you called him a poor mans Chris Rainey being the main one, when thats not true at all.

And in the end, even if you dont care for him, you dont write someone off like that....especially when they have the kind of tools Demps does. Speed isnt everything obviously, but despite your claims, he showed more than just speed in college.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm mainly saying is that Rainey always showed more every time I watched the Gators and especially in the bowl game vs Ohio state when Rainey took a Kickoff to the house. This is why from what everything I know from before the season till after the season, Rainey was projected as a mid round pick and Demps a late round pick or undrafted player, which he ended up being.

I'm not writing Demps off. Plenty of players go,undrafted and turn out to be good or great. Steelers have a few, redskins have a few. Both have possible hall of fame lbs that could be hall of fame players that went undrafted. Still though, I never thought Demps was better than Rainey. Rainey always reminded me of A poor mans harvin or like McCluster, Demps never did.

http://www.nfl.com/player/jeffdemps/2532831/combine

Quote:

WEAKNESSES
With his breakaway speed, Demps would have great value as a returner. However, at Florida he rarely was given the opportunity, and because of this many teams will shy away from him. He is not a great lateral mover for a man of his stature, and needs a seam and a block to break for daylight. Demps struggles finding a hole and doesn't display natural vision to see the play develop and hit it vertically. Demps has shown many weaknesses as a running back and is a player who needs space and blocks to see daylight, but it can be scary once he does.

Demps has speed yes, but I've never seen him be a great return man (Rainey was!) he struggles to make players miss outside of just his speed, Rainy doent. He needs perfect blocking to break long gains, Rainey doesn't and Rainey is a better receiver. Virtually his whole game is speed, I think Rainey is more than that and Rainey showed great toughness last week, coming back in after being crushed.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/chris-rainey?id=2532934

Quote:
OVERVIEW
Rainey, like his teammate Jeff Demps, is a burner. Unlike Demps, his track-speed translates to the football field, which makes him an intriguing prospect who has played various roles in Florida's offense. While not nearly as big as former teammate Percy Harvin, Rainey has been able to deliver for the Gators in a similar fashion. He uses his agility and quickness to make guys miss. He could move up into the middle rounds.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Rainey
......................................... ATT YDS AVG TD
CareerFlorida. Kick Returns 26 235 9.0 2

Jeff Demps

CareerFlorida. Kick Returns 21 604 28.8 1

You were saying?

Baaahhh....

turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Chris Rainey

Jeff Demps

You were saying?

Baaahhh....

Rainey:

Punts- 235 yds, 2 tds
Kick off- 454 yds

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=154202
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
Chris Rainey

Jeff Demps

You were saying?

Baaahhh....

Rainey:

Punts- 235 yds, 2 tds
Kick off- 454 yds

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=154202

Looks right..sorry i didnt quote the site I got it from..I was wondering how the hell Rainey only had 9.0 on kickoffs.. any ways it still much less than Demps on KORet...and Id take Demps any day on kickoffs over Rainey.

No one is really arguing that Rainey cant run the ball better than Demps between the tackles, nor do I want Demps or Rainey having to do that more than a couple times a game on some sort of draw or something.

The biggest things to compare are catching and pass blocking ability, all other things are not significant factors. You're not gonna run either of these guys 10-20 times between the tackles.

turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Maybe you were right jpn. Did you see Dempsey' scamper last night?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: