Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chance our D plays better than our O this year?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What will be the stronger unit of our team?
Offence
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Defence
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Chance our D plays better than our O this year? Reply with quote

Watching Lamarr Houstons interview, at the end Paul mentioned our offence has clearly sputtered this preseason while our defence is ranked #3 in total yards. This got me thinking, sure its just preseason, but our first team D has looked really impressive thus far. I know our O will pick it up, but I feel the departure of Hue might hurt the offence to the point where we see a slight decline in its play. The addition of Tarver and Allen has been HUGE for our defence and I can see them, along with new player additions, catapulting us into a top 16 defensive unit.

Now my question to you guys is do you think our defence will outplay our offence this year? Please shy away from the "Anything is possible, but no" type answer, im really curious to see indepth what everyones opinions are of the newly updated defence and how it compares to our O. Does anyone believe that the D will be keeping this team afloat rather than the O for the first time in years?

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our Offense is the stronger unit.
However I think our Defense will be more consistant than the offense. Which to me has been a big issue in the past. Being able to play good defense for 4 quarters.
Dessie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Chance our D plays better than our O this year? Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Watching Lamarr Houstons interview, at the end Paul mentioned our offence has clearly sputtered this preseason while our defence is ranked #3 in total yards. This got me thinking, sure its just preseason, but our first team D has looked really impressive thus far. I know our O will pick it up, but I feel the departure of Hue might hurt the offence to the point where we see a slight decline in its play. The addition of Tarver and Allen has been HUGE for our defence and I can see them, along with new player additions, catapulting us into a top 16 defensive unit.

Now my question to you guys is do you think our defence will outplay our offence this year? Please shy away from the "Anything is possible, but no" type answer, im really curious to see indepth what everyones opinions are of the newly updated defence and how it compares to our O. Does anyone believe that the D will be keeping this team afloat rather than the O for the first time in years?

First time in years ? Have you forgotten the days of Brooks, Walter, Culpepper, McCown and Russell. Defense won us games in those days.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still gotta go with offense. Even if Palmer doesn't improve from last year, we are still looking at a 4000 yard passer and 1300 yard rusher at minimum, assuming McFadden stays healthy. We managed to finish 11th last year in YPG, and that was with Bush burning out the last half of the season. Our defense should play at a respectable level. I expect the line to be the foundation- they will be a force, but we have uncertainty at LB and CB. I see our defense ranking much better than they did last year, mainly due to a severe reduction in penalties and playing more disciplined football.

I'm expecting offense to finish top-10 in both YPG and PPG and defense to be top-20 in yards and points allowed.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Chance our D plays better than our O this year? Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:

First time in years ? Have you forgotten the days of Brooks, Walter, Culpepper, McCown and Russell. Defense won us games in those days.

+1

It wasnt too long ago that our defense was by far the best part of our team.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until I see a Raiders defense stop the run w/ some consistency, I'm not buying. The last decade they've been a mess at run stopping.

Starting to look/sound like that was scheme, accountability, etc. in the Davis scheme.

We shall see.

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chance our D plays better than our O this year? Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:

Ah, so years ago! Wink

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
holyghost

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Chance our D plays better than our O this year? Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:

We didn't win too many dude. Blind luck won us games, and miracles. Remember when the only way we could win is by dramatic miracle plays? That was awful.
Dessie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Chance our D plays better than our O this year? Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
Dessie wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:

We didn't win too many dude. Blind luck won us games, and miracles. Remember when the only way we could win is by dramatic miracle plays? That was awful.

Don't remember the Offense winning many ?
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty skeptical at this point because it's just preseason, but our D definitely looks better so far.

I think our offense has too much big play potential to let the defense outshine them this year. We shall see.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
NickButera

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This same offensive personnel has proven they can be top 10. Our defense hasn't proven they can play well as a team together yet. Based on the actual samples we have, I say offense.

Now, our offense may take a hit, and our defense will probably get better.... but I highly doubt they both swing so much that the eclipse eachother.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Pozzi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowhere to go but up on defense compared to last year. Especially with Allen/Tarver taking over now.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pozzi wrote:
Nowhere to go but up on defense compared to last year. Especially with Allen/Tarver taking over now.

Exactly. Last year was a historically bad Raider defense. Allen/Tarver would have to try hard to be that bad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defense has definitely improved. We'll see how and if they can be consistent in the regular season. Can we finally seal the edge and prevent big plays in the run defense? Can we get pressure off the edges consistently with Houston and Shaughnessy and the DL rotation?

Wanna see how much Spencer can help us looking at his struggles back in San Fran. I think Bartell will be fine getting back into playing after the bad neck injury.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until I see it in the regular season I still give the edge to the offense because they have shown more in regular season recently, but I do think the defense looks much improved and they could be the strength of our team I just have to see it when it counts to buy in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: