Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR Coach George Stewart: On the Receiving End
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
I know nothing about hockey. Laughing

But, but...you're in the land of Lemieux and Crosby...and you know nothing about hockey? That's blasphemy. Laughing Wink

I'm in the land of Parise and Suter, and I know nothing as well.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the land of nobody now, so I rely on my knowledge of growing up in the land of Broten and Ciccarelli to get me by. Laughing

Although, it's a completely different sport than the one I watched then.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Stephen (pronounced Stefon?) Burton

No. Stephen, pronounced Steven.

Well I think someone said his name wrong during the game, or before the game was aired.

BTW, I can't tell much of a difference when people say "Stephen" or "Steven". Maybe its just the ending? Stephen- "in". Steven- "en"

down but not out. I still believe!
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
Stephen (pronounced Stefon?) Burton

No. Stephen, pronounced Steven.

Well I think someone said his name wrong during the game, or before the game was aired.

BTW, I can't tell much of a difference when people say "Stephen" or "Steven". Maybe its just the ending? Stephen- "in". Steven- "en"

First e, long or short.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Jenkins' base salary was cut by $1.5 million this year. Read a little further and they kept the same overall contract value by adjusting roster and performance bonuses.

Jenkins will make the team, but now they jostled some numbers around and should have more money if they want to sign someone else that gets cut.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
Yep, Jenkins' base salary was cut by $1.5 million this year. Read a little further and they kept the same overall contract value by adjusting roster and performance bonuses.

Jenkins will make the team, but now they jostled some numbers around and should have more money if they want to sign someone else that gets cut.

Good point, certainly, the team should be on the look out for some DT or MLB help. Jenkins at $1 million is not bad value and if some of the youngsters step up (Simpson and Burton), Jenkins will be a #4, at best. Even so, having that kind of veteran experience on the bench isnt a bad thing for the youth on the roster.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Receivers coach George Stewart said Jarius Wright is "not there yet" in his route-running but has impressed coaches with his football IQ, mainly his ability to grasp concepts and formations.

Stewart: "You quiz him and ask him questions, he can spit it back to you. With that for a young player, regardless of formation -- we have a variety of formations we use -- he's able to be in the right spot, run the right depth and he'll continue to be a good player for us."

The Vikings are intrigued by Wright's combination of speed (4.42 seconds in the 40-yard draft at the NFL combine) and versatility. He's mainly a slot receiver but can play outside if necessary.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21319459/minnesota-vikings-like-rookie-receiver-jarius-wrights-football

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Receivers coach George Stewart said Jarius Wright is "not there yet" in his route-running but has impressed coaches with his football IQ, mainly his ability to grasp concepts and formations.

Stewart: "You quiz him and ask him questions, he can spit it back to you. With that for a young player, regardless of formation -- we have a variety of formations we use -- he's able to be in the right spot, run the right depth and he'll continue to be a good player for us."

The Vikings are intrigued by Wright's combination of speed (4.42 seconds in the 40-yard draft at the NFL combine) and versatility. He's mainly a slot receiver but can play outside if necessary.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21319459/minnesota-vikings-like-rookie-receiver-jarius-wrights-football

I dont like the slot receiver steoreotype with Wright. He displayed the ability in college as an exceptional route runner as an outside receiver, combined with his exceptional speed, Wright could be a player to look out for.

However, with Harvin taking on a larger role in the offense, it doesnt hurt having a player like Wright who has versatility in the slot and as an outside receiver. If Wright can elevate his game, and Simpson can live up to expectations, I like that trio (plus Harvin), in 3 wide sets. Lots of speed and explosiveness.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is more excited about new Vikings wide receiver Jerome Simpson than his position coach, George Stewart.

Stewart: "In terms of a guy who can stretch the field, we haven't had one here like him -- and I'll go out on a limb when I say this -- since Randy Moss. I knew he was athletic but didn't realize he's as good as he is. He has ability to make plays downfield."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21377794/charley-walters-minnesota-vikings-wr-jerome-simpson-is

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
No one is more excited about new Vikings wide receiver Jerome Simpson than his position coach, George Stewart.

Stewart: "In terms of a guy who can stretch the field, we haven't had one here like him -- and I'll go out on a limb when I say this -- since Randy Moss. I knew he was athletic but didn't realize he's as good as he is. He has ability to make plays downfield."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21377794/charley-walters-minnesota-vikings-wr-jerome-simpson-is

That is a key phrase, in finding a WR opposite of Harvin. We know what Harvin can do and where he is limited, but to stick as a starting WR, MN needs a guy who will make those plays down field. Hopefully Simpson can be that guy. Devin Aromashodu has shown flashes of being capable in that role. Burton has also been on the receiving end of down field passes. I think between those three players, MN will have some capable down field receivers.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a flyer on Simpson in my fantasy league with my last pick. I know he'll be sitting on my bench for the first 3 weeks, so I could have waited, but I thought "Oh, what the hell", it's not like he's going to be taking up a more productive player's spot.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the price would be to get Dwayne Bowe off the Chiefs hands. A 2nd and 4th to have a #1 WR for 4-5 years. Might make things more interesting for 2012.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I wonder what the price would be to get Dwayne Bowe off the Chiefs hands. A 2nd and 4th to have a #1 WR for 4-5 years. Might make things more interesting for 2012.

I'd rather go after Dez Bryant (which won't happen. Jerry Jones loves all his flashy players. Makes his team recognizable) or just wait for Justin Hunter in next year's draft.

or Dwight Jones? lol

down but not out. I still believe!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: