Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 53 man roster discussion/guesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

struby3 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Looks about right, 49ersfan.

A few slight changes I see (and the first is nitpicky)

RJF is the 4th DL in, so not sure if you had an order going in that case)

I don't think Hall makes it over Leonard Davis. I think Big Leonard is here to stay for the year. Hall would probably be cut... stay an FA, and we can always scoop him back up if injuries occur.

Keeping Palmer, Tyms, and Owusu... hmmm... can't say I dislike it. Would probably look to cut it down to two, but suppose it could work. I am liking Tyms the most right now (yes, his size helps tip the scale), so I'd probably keep the smaller WR that most impresses in these next two games between Palmer and Owusu.

Just curious...do you think Rock makes the team? I'm pretty much "meh" on whether or not he makes it at this point. And what are you thoughts on Colin Jones? Too one-dimensional or does his ST skills make him worth a roster spot?

I'm currently into the early 3rd quarter of the Texans game for my play by play. I say that, because I really liked what I saw of Cartwright in game 1, but don't have a clear memory of his efforts in game 2 yet. This is one of the few that at the moment, I would cop-out on and go 50-50 on.

... and yeah, seems to me that Jones is very 1-dimensional. It's my feeling right now that Trent Robinson, Mike Thomas, and certainly Spillman offer more. So I feel like Jones will be cut after the Broncos game.

___
49ersfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Looks about right, 49ersfan.

A few slight changes I see (and the first is nitpicky)

RJF is the 4th DL in, so not sure if you had an order going in that case)

I don't think Hall makes it over Leonard Davis. I think Big Leonard is here to stay for the year. Hall would probably be cut... stay an FA, and we can always scoop him back up if injuries occur.

Keeping Palmer, Tyms, and Owusu... hmmm... can't say I dislike it. Would probably look to cut it down to two, but suppose it could work. I am liking Tyms the most right now (yes, his size helps tip the scale), so I'd probably keep the smaller WR that most impresses in these next two games between Palmer and Owusu.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always tinkering with it and thinking of new scenarios. I did mean to put in a depth chart but with RJF i just kind of got lazy there, so good call.

As for Hall/Davis, i decided to go with the youth. I also remember Barrows saying he played both OG/OT way back in June so i figured his versatility would help. But i can certainly see a scenario where Davis makes it for his experience as well; plus he has a ton of experience at both OT/OG (far better OG though). Hall would likely make it to the PS as well.

BTW, feel free for you (or anyone else) to post their own 53 man rosters. At this time of year when the games are vanilla and downright boring at times, the roster discussion actually becomes my favorite topic of discussion. I'm intrigued to see who we let go in our first round of cuts on Monday.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more before the cuts start coming.

QB-Alex Smith-Colin Kaepernick-Scott Tolzien
RB-Frank Gore-Kendall Hunter/LaMichael James/Brandon Jacobs
FB-Bruce Miller-Rock Cartwright

WR-Michael Crabtree-Mario Manningham-Kyle Williams
WR-Randy Moss-Ted Ginn-A.J. Jenkins-
TE-Vernon Davis-Delanie Walker-DeMarcus Dobbs

LT-Joe Staley-Mike Person
LG-Mike Iupati-Joe Looney
C-Jonathan Goodwin-Daniel Kilgore
RG-Alex Boone-Leonard Davis
RT-Anthony Davis-Mike Person

DE-Justin Smith-DeMarcus Dobbs
NT-Isaac Sopoaga-Ricky Jean-Francois
DE-Ray McDonald-Will Tukuafu

LOLB-Ahmad Brooks-Parys Haralson
MLB-Navorro Bowman-Tavares Gooden
MLB-Patrick Willis-Larry Grant
ROLB-Aldon Smith-Cam Johnson

CB-Carlos Rogers-Chris Culliver-Tramaine Brock
CB-Tarell Brown-Perrish Cox-Michael Thomas

SS-Donte Whitner-C.J. Spillman
FS-Dashon Goldson-Trenton Robinson-Michael Thomas

K-David Akers
P-Andy Lee
LS-Brian Jennings

PS
Tony Jerod-Eddie DL
Nathan Palmer WR
Chris Owusu WR
Jason Slowey OL
Deante Purvis CB
Corey Nelms DB/WR
Konard Reuland TE
Kourtnei Brown OLB

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
ninerfanwheelz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Brad Seely has a say again (I'm assuming he gets a few spots reserved for ST like last year), I could see Colin Jones making it. He may view Robinson or Thomas as more valuable or equally valuable though, which is what I suspect. I think they put Jones on the PS though.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I hear within 5 years the fans at Jags games will be able to vote via Twitter on the in-game playcalls.
49ersfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:

Solid list. Only couple of things i really disagree on. 1, can't see Cam Johnson making it over Bakhtiari for now. Johnson's been injured for a while. 2, I like Ian Williams more than Tuakufu. But i don't know how the team feels and who makes it as the 6th DL (i feel we're carrying 6 this year).

As for Colin Jones, i think he's played too many games to be PS eligible. He appeared in 13 last year according to NFL.com
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:

Solid list. Only couple of things i really disagree on. 1, can't see Cam Johnson making it over Bakhtiari for now. Johnson's been injured for a while. 2, I like Ian Williams more than Tuakufu. But i don't know how the team feels and who makes it as the 6th DL (i feel we're carrying 6 this year).

As for Colin Jones, i think he's played too many games to be PS eligible. He appeared in 13 last year according to NFL.com

I just remember Fangio saying he wants his d-linemen to be able to play multiple positions and that they can't afford to dress more than one player that can only play the nose. I could see it going either way though, and also like Williams over Tukuafu.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
ninerfanwheelz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:

Ahh didn't think of that. Yeah, he's gettin cut then.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I hear within 5 years the fans at Jags games will be able to vote via Twitter on the in-game playcalls.
DWARE94BALLIN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think Dixon will be traded or just cut. I would love Dallas to get him as #3 RB. He has some power and would really be an upgrade over Phillip Tanner. Are you guys deep at the 3-4 end and do you think a Dixon for Spears trade straight up is possible. Thanks in advance
NCAAF-Penn State

Throw Dez the Damn ball Club
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWARE94BALLIN wrote:
Do you guys think Dixon will be traded or just cut. I would love Dallas to get him as #3 RB. He has some power and would really be an upgrade over Phillip Tanner. Are you guys deep at the 3-4 end and do you think a Dixon for Spears trade straight up is possible. Thanks in advance

Most likely is that Dixon will just be cut. The coaches are happy with the DL as is, and Dixon doesn't really have real trade value.

___
iwentundrafted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah IMO we need to cut Dixon. Decent special teams player but if your not going to contribute anywhere else then we cant keep you. Still runs pretty soft for how big he is.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
DWARE94BALLIN wrote:

Most likely is that Dixon will just be cut. The coaches are happy with the DL as is, and Dixon doesn't really have real trade value.

I'd love to get a 6th for him - can't ever have enough draft picks. But everyone knows there's no room for him on our roster so not sure why anyone would give up anything to get him ... unless they really wanted him and didn't want to risk his signing with another team after we cut him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
DWARE94BALLIN wrote:

I'd love to get a 6th for him - can't ever have enough draft picks. But everyone knows there's no room for him on our roster so not sure why anyone would give up anything to get him ... unless they really wanted him and didn't want to risk his signing with another team after we cut him.

Yeah, exactly. The guy has value IMHO of a 6th or 7th rd pick, but I don't see an organization bothering to burn their late round pick on a trade. It would mildly surprise me if that were to happen.

___
49ersfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With recent cuts, news on Dixon's roster spot, and performances in the preseason game...i figure i will make 1 final 53 man list. This thread will be completely outdated in a couple of days anyway so why not.

QB- Alex Smith (Colin Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien)
RB- Frank Gore (Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Brandon Jacobs, Anthony Dixon)
FB- Bruce Miller
TE- Vernon Davis (Delanie Walker, Konrad Reuland)
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss (Mario Manningham, Ted Ginn, Kyle Williams, AJ Jenkins)
OL- Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathin Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis (Daniel Kilgore, Mike Person, Leonard Davis, Joe Looney)
DL- Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, Ray McDonald (RJF, Demarcus Dobbs, Ian Williams)
OLB- Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks (Parys Haralson)
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVarro Bowman (Larry Grant, Tavares Gooden)
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarrell Brown (Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox)
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner (CJ Spillman, Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas, Darcel McBath)
ST- Akers, Lee, Jennings

PUP- OLB Darius Fleming, OLB Cam Johnson. Non Football Injury- RB Jewel Hampton.
PS- WR Chris Owosu, WR Nathan Palmer, OL Chase Beeler, OL Derek Hall, OL Kenny Wiggins, DE Tony Jerrod-Eddie, CB Anthony Mosley, ILB Joe Holland

Notable cuts- QB Josh Johnson, RB Rock Cartwright, DE Will Tuakufu, OLB Eric Bakhtiari, CB Tramaine Brock, S Colin Jones, C Jason Slowey ( 49ers draft pick, already released), CB Curtis Holcolmb (49ers draft pick, already released).

Reasoning: Kept Reuland because i feel he gives us a bigger receiving threat at TE than Dobbs. But Dobbs has potential at DE so he stays. While Tuakufu is a solid but unspectacular backup, and Dixon/Sopoaga are backup FB's. Dixon recently received praise from the coaches and his game in Denver may have saved his job. He's also younger than Cartwright. Bakhtiari...some may disagree but i see a classic preseason player. Does well against players that will be out of a job Week 1, but is invisible against starters. Doesn't offer a lot of future upside either. Should be on the market if we need him in a pinch.

Potential surprise cut- Ted Ginn Jr. He's been injured 4 times in the last 9 months- Steelers, Saints, offseason workouts, and last Broncos game. Chris Owusu lined up as a KR in the last game, so they felt confident in his abilities. Not saying its a lock, but potentially...
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
With recent cuts, news on Dixon's roster spot, and performances in the preseason game...i figure i will make 1 final 53 man list. This thread will be completely outdated in a couple of days anyway so why not.

QB- Alex Smith (Colin Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien)
RB- Frank Gore (Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Brandon Jacobs, Anthony Dixon)
FB- Bruce Miller
TE- Vernon Davis (Delanie Walker, Konrad Reuland)
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss (Mario Manningham, Ted Ginn, Kyle Williams, AJ Jenkins)
OL- Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathin Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis (Daniel Kilgore, Mike Person, Leonard Davis, Joe Looney)
DL- Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, Ray McDonald (RJF, Demarcus Dobbs, Ian Williams)
OLB- Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks (Parys Haralson)
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVarro Bowman (Larry Grant, Tavares Gooden)
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarrell Brown (Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox)
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner (CJ Spillman, Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas, Darcel McBath)
ST- Akers, Lee, Jennings

PUP- OLB Darius Fleming, OLB Cam Johnson. Non Football Injury- RB Jewel Hampton.
PS- WR Chris Owosu, WR Nathan Palmer, OL Chase Beeler, OL Derek Hall, OL Kenny Wiggins, DE Tony Jerrod-Eddie, CB Anthony Mosley, ILB Joe Holland

Notable cuts- QB Josh Johnson, RB Rock Cartwright, DE Will Tuakufu, OLB Eric Bakhtiari, CB Tramaine Brock, S Colin Jones, C Jason Slowey ( 49ers draft pick, already released), CB Curtis Holcolmb (49ers draft pick, already released).

Reasoning: Kept Reuland because i feel he gives us a bigger receiving threat at TE than Dobbs. But Dobbs has potential at DE so he stays. While Tuakufu is a solid but unspectacular backup, and Dixon/Sopoaga are backup FB's. Dixon recently received praise from the coaches and his game in Denver may have saved his job. He's also younger than Cartwright. Bakhtiari...some may disagree but i see a classic preseason player. Does well against players that will be out of a job Week 1, but is invisible against starters. Doesn't offer a lot of future upside either. Should be on the market if we need him in a pinch.

Potential surprise cut- Ted Ginn Jr. He's been injured 4 times in the last 9 months- Steelers, Saints, offseason workouts, and last Broncos game. Chris Owusu lined up as a KR in the last game, so they felt confident in his abilities. Not saying its a lock, but potentially...

I think when we drafted two OLBs the team said it was really unusual to only have three OLBs on the team and expected to have 4 this year. Not sure what position they would cut back on if they wanted to have 4 OLBs. What would you do to your projected roster if you had to add a 4th OLB?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@MaioccoCSN: Former 49ers updates: Seahawks sign T Mike Person to practice squad; Eagles release C Chase Beeler from their practice squad.

Pete. You'll never be Jim.

new sig... sorry alex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: