Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do you feel urgency to start winning more titles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fired-Up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Do you feel urgency to start winning more titles Reply with quote

I'm starting to feel like we need more titles and we need to get a move on. I have high hopes for this team. I would like to think we could have a dynasty. In my own arbitrary world a dynasty is 3 super bowls. Do we consider the 90's Cowboys and 00's Patriots a dynasty? Yes. Do we consider the 00's Steelers and 00-10's Giants a dynasty? No, we don't. The line clearly seems to be drawn at 3 rings is a dynasty.

There have been by my count a dynasty in every decade since the 70s. Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, Patriots. We seem like the next logical choice given the fact that we already have 1 and we have a lot of talent. But, their doesn't have to be a dynasty every decade, no rule says that their should be.

We can't win 3 titles without getting the 2nd title before. I'm not saying our window is closing. But I am saying our window has been wide open since 2009. Rodgers has been an elite QB since 2009. The 2010 posteason was his national coming out party, but since 2009 he's been up there in the 1st tier.

We've been so loaded since 2009. In that season we had an elite QB who played awesome in the wild card round. We lost because the D couldn't stop Warner. The defense was actually decent then which makes the loss tougher. In 2011 we went 15-1. Another 1 and done even though Rodgers went nuts in the regular season. However, the offense uncharacteristicaly struggled in the playoffs and the defense struggled like always.

We won in 2010, which is great, but we blew 2 opportunites in 2009 and 2011. Most great teams win them in bunches. Their is always repeats in dynasties and they usually win the 3rd one close to the second one.

The window may not always be so wide open. Am I saying we will decline as a team in the near future? No, but we should take advantage of our situation. The WR corps is loaded, the pass pro is loaded, we have the best QB in the game. These things could changed within a couple of years. Who knows?

After we lost in 2009 I thought to myself I don't care if it's one and done or a super bowl loss. If you don't win the chip you don't win the chip. I remember thinking this Rodgers 2nd year, we have time. I don't think that way anymore. The team won't be loaded forever. It has been for years, but it won't stay this way in all likelihood.

Am I paranoid? Or is there urgency to win now?
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paranoid. There's really nothing we can do as a fanbase that we aren't already (attending games) that can affect this team. So I'm not really sure that we should feel urgency as a fan of a sport for our team to win titles. I think it's just important to have fun watching the game that the Packers love to play. When we brand it as something bigger than that people start to go crazy Wink

As for the Packers, I believe that they do feel a little pressure to win the big one, and in the end that may be what distracts them from winning it all. Who knows, but we'll sure find out what sort of character this team has come this regular season. If they come out of the gates firing and roll through the season we know they aren't going to let the little things fog their mind. If they come out and make silly mistakes, commit (legitimate) penalties with frequency, and generally stumble through, we might have to re-tool the roster.

On a side note...the current packers team only has one roster holdover from "pre-Thompson" and that is Driver.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm... What? 2009 the Pack were a lot of peices away and there were better teams in the league... Last year, yeah, we shoulda probably have brought a championship home. But this team is built to last at least a decade.

The Pats won their first SB in 2001. In 2011 they are still in the SB. This year they are one of the favorites to get back. So I dunno about all this rush stuff.

The Pack is built to last. That's a far cry from, say, Philly or the Ravens which are a bit long in the tooth and well spent. Those teams are seeing the door closing rapidly.

I'm surprised by what folks think are the core for the Pack. The core is really just Rodgers and one could make an argument for Woodson. Those are the money guys and big difference makers. All the other players take going rate. It's what you see in Pittsburgh. Then you rely on the youth and "next man up". Never get up against the cap and never get caught up in old guys and past performances.

If we keep that philosophy the door to championships never closes in this new era of FA.
Fired-Up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunderhead wrote:
Ummm... What? 2009 the Pack were a lot of peices away and there were better teams in the league... Last year, yeah, we shoulda probably have brought a championship home. But this team is built to last at least a decade.

The Pats won their first SB in 2001. In 2011 they are still in the SB. This year they are one of the favorites to get back. So I dunno about all this rush stuff.

The Pack is built to last. That's a far cry from, say, Philly or the Ravens which are a bit long in the tooth and well spent. Those teams are seeing the door closing rapidly.

I'm surprised by what folks think are the core for the Pack. The core is really just Rodgers and one could make an argument for Woodson. Those are the money guys and big difference makers. All the other players take going rate. It's what you see in Pittsburgh. Then you rely on the youth and "next man up". Never get up against the cap and never get caught up in old guys and past performances.

If we keep that philosophy the door to championships never closes in this new era of FA.

The Pats and Cowboys won 3 of 4 and then nothing. Joe Montana's 4 super bowls are the result of 2 repeats. Dynasties come in bunches.
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
Dunderhead wrote:

The Pats and Cowboys won 3 of 4 and then nothing. Joe Montana's 4 super bowls are the result of 2 repeats. Dynasties come in bunches.

I'm even more lost now. In the last 10 years the Pats have been to 5 SBs... They won 3 of them. That's amazingly tough in this era of FA. The Cowboys won theirs in a different era of football.

You're comparing apples to oranges. The way the teams were built and maintained are completely different. You can't stack teams anymore. Even after Montana and Walsh left the 9ers won a SB. FA quickly broke that up along with what Dallas had accumulated.

But the 49ers didn't start winning in bunches. SF won it's first SB in '81. They don't win another till 84. The next comes in 88. How's that the bunches you describe?

I guess I just don't quite understand the whole point? Is the idea the Pack should over spend and mortgage the future? Seriously, doesn't seem with the examples you've used you even have the slightest grasp of what you want to say (or have an understanding about era and rule changes)...

So I'll ask the question one should always ask themselves before they start a thread - What's the point and is there a solution to a percieved problem. I can't tell if the Pack will be a dynasty team, I know I believe in the way the team is put together and the way it's being maintained. Hopefully that should lead to good things, but nothing is guaranteed.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. And I am trying as hard as I can.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I'd rather see us go 1 and done in the playoffs, that way I can enjoy my winter more because I am not worrying about the Packers.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
byzr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teams are only going to get better so of YES i'd like to win more rings now rather than just continue to build through the draft. what kind of question is this?

obviously our best opportunity to win is going to be in the next couple of years. we have big contracts coming up and maybe more than TT will want to afford.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

As a fan, NO, I do not feel the urgency to win more titles. I'm sure the team does - Driver/Woodson want as many as they can and they know their days are limited. Greg/Finley/Matthews/Raji feel the urgency with their contracts expiring within the next few years.

Sig brought to you by Justo
svp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want as many trophies as they can bring in.
I want the Driver disco ball every time too.

Sometimes I cheer the cat when he is killing flies, other than that...
it's exclusively Green Bay Homer every time.

I also think the team should NOT encounter any red lights while driving in Green Bay.

TedThompson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunderhead wrote:

The 2009 offense was better than the Super Bowl offense. At least by season's end, playoff time.
Nobody wanted to face us, just like in 2010.

I even was regularily talking to an NFL player when those playoffs were set to begin, and he told me man to man he thought the Packers were the team to beat in the NFC at that point in time. We were red hot.

But of course our defense sucked and never came close to stopping Warner.

If that defense played like the 2010 post-season defense, we could have won that Super Bowl.

This past 3 year window, I don't think there's ever been a passing offense any better in a 3 year window, Saints, Patriots, old Niners, etc. included.

Title hopes for us all rest on the defensive side of the ball. If they play good or great, we should win it. If they play bad, or crappy, we'll get beat by a good QB.
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TedThompson wrote:
Dunderhead wrote:

The 2009 offense was better than the Super Bowl offense. At least by season's end, playoff time.
Nobody wanted to face us, just like in 2010.

I even was regularily talking to an NFL player when those playoffs were set to begin, and he told me man to man he thought the Packers were the team to beat in the NFC at that point in time. We were red hot.

But of course our defense sucked and never came close to stopping Warner.

If that defense played like the 2010 post-season defense, we could have won that Super Bowl.

This past 3 year window, I don't think there's ever been a passing offense any better in a 3 year window, Saints, Patriots, old Niners, etc. included.

Title hopes for us all rest on the defensive side of the ball. If they play good or great, we should win it. If they play bad, or crappy, we'll get beat by a good QB.

I thought talent wise we were below the Vikes and Saints... In the AFC I thought Indy was a bit better. But 2009 was Raji and Mathews rookie outings. Our DB depth was ok and then we lost Al Harris and it really fell apart. Was not in love with Bigby at safety... Barnett, Chillar were both a bit overrated (maybe a lot). Jordy Nelson was still developing. Finley and David Martin? Eww...

Yeah, the team had good talent, but it needed some time and simply put, there were clearly better teams. It would have been an upset to go to Minny or NO and take a win, and near impossible to sweep both. In 2010, the Pack were favored I believe in every game even though all were away games.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Titletown and it is called the Lombardi Trophy, there is an urgency EVERY year. That is the expectation.
BartStarving

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
This is Titletown and it is called the Lombardi Trophy, there is an urgency EVERY year. That is the expectation.

Indeed, I don't ever want to go back to the days when we had to overpay guys to keep them from jumping to the CFL, WFL, USFL, or whatever. Let's face it, nobody's coming to Green Bay for the ambiance. We want rings!!!!
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the third (well second and a half year if we want to get technical) that we've seen Aaron Rodgers play at a high level. It'd be one thing if he was exiting his prime, but he's just starting to enter his prime.

And like PF4L said, the Packers are a first class organization. Nothing short of NFL Championships are expected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: