Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans WR Situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jargin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was an interesting way of putting it: Dre and Walter have spots saved for them due to veteran status on the team. Martin and Posey have spots saved for them due to draft status. That means 4 guys have spots locked up no questions asked. If the Texans decide to carry 6 then both Jean and Bryant will make the team. If they only want to go with 5 then Jean is the man over Bryant and if Jean continues on his path he will make the first team offense ahead of the rookies. It's a pretty simple situation.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
I thought this was an interesting way of putting it: Dre and Walter have spots saved for them due to veteran status on the team. Martin and Posey have spots saved for them due to draft status. That means 4 guys have spots locked up no questions asked. If the Texans decide to carry 6 then both Jean and Bryant will make the team. If they only want to go with 5 then Jean is the man over Bryant and if Jean continues on his path he will make the first team offense ahead of the rookies. It's a pretty simple situation.

That ignores recent Texans history which has us regularly stashing young players we like for the future but not the present on the IR.
2011 - Jean & Carmichael
2010 - S. Smith & Holliday
2009 - Nolan & Anthony Hill (the one legit injury of the bunch)
2007 - Brandon Harrison

With the overall improvement in the roster, being drafted also doesn't mean they automatically make the team anymore (Cheta Ozougwu) or that we aren't willing to cut them and bring them back on the practice squad (Keo, S. Smith, Holliday, Brink).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Anywho - just heard on 610 that Kubiak has been pleased with DeVier Posey as of late:

HT.com wrote:
“He has a lot of talent, a lot of ability. You could tell in OTAs and stuff that he had missed a lot of football, but I see him catching up. I like the way he works. He’s in very good shape and can go all day, so that’s what you’ve got to do in this league to play receiver. He’s on his way. He’s had a good week so far.”

While I'm not ready to let him off the hook, I think it's a solid sign. Seems like he has a good work ethic, and you can't discount the praise he gets for being in shape; That's a big part of taking a game from college to pro, the ability to keep yourself in game shape.

Still think it was a bad pick, however.

When I see things like this I get excited to know that our rookies are making progress, but then I have to temper my exuberance knowing that this is only training camp and that Kubiak typically pumps alot of sunshine up your backside this time of year.

I agreee with you though, it was still a bad pick when you consider the totality of the situation.
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Anywho - just heard on 610 that Kubiak has been pleased with DeVier Posey as of late:

HT.com wrote:
“He has a lot of talent, a lot of ability. You could tell in OTAs and stuff that he had missed a lot of football, but I see him catching up. I like the way he works. He’s in very good shape and can go all day, so that’s what you’ve got to do in this league to play receiver. He’s on his way. He’s had a good week so far.”

While I'm not ready to let him off the hook, I think it's a solid sign. Seems like he has a good work ethic, and you can't discount the praise he gets for being in shape; That's a big part of taking a game from college to pro, the ability to keep yourself in game shape.

Still think it was a bad pick, however.

When I see things like this I get excited to know that our rookies are making progress, but then I have to temper my exuberance knowing that this is only training camp and that Kubiak typically pumps alot of sunshine up your backside this time of year.

I agreee with you though, it was still a bad pick when you consider the totality of the situation.

Both of these. +1
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would like to see:

Andre and Walter are obviously going to be our starters baring any injuries. Kubiak said the rest of the WR's (Jean, Martin, Posey, Johnson) hasn't seperated themselves from the pack, but Jean could be the number 3 WR (not the slot receiver), and Martin can become the slot receiver (aka Jacoby's old role) and punt returner. Posey and Johnson would probably battle it out for the 5th WR job, and if Posey loses to Johnson put him on the IR, but if Posey beats Johnson, cut Johnson. I know we would be inexperienced at the WR position after Walter, but I think it would work up soon enough. That's why I can't wait till preseason!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
jargin wrote:

That ignores recent Texans history which has us regularly stashing young players we like for the future but not the present on the IR.
2011 - Jean & Carmichael
2010 - S. Smith & Holliday
2009 - Nolan & Anthony Hill (the one legit injury of the bunch)
2007 - Brandon Harrison

With the overall improvement in the roster, being drafted also doesn't mean they automatically make the team anymore (Cheta Ozougwu) or that we aren't willing to cut them and bring them back on the practice squad (Keo, S. Smith, Holliday, Brink).
The reason why I ignored that part is that it doesn't matter who we put/stash on IR because the top 5 WRs are essentially set. If we put someone on IR, they have no impact on the play of the group we put on the field. They are just a viewer on the sideline. I'm sure we will use our IR vacation spots like we so regularly do. I'm just more confident in our WR group than most are because I think we are faster and more explosive overall than we were last year. It doesn't matter to me who makes the 6th spot if they even carry 6 because the 6th WR on a football team is an afterthought on almost every team. I think the group of 5 that I mentioned- Dre, Walter, Posey, Martin and Jean are a good group and that the rest of the WRs on the roster, whether on IR or 6th slot on the depth chart, don't really matter that much.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After tearing his ACL early last year the Bengals released Jordan Shipley after sub-par pre-season games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/17/bengals-waive-jordan-shipley/

I wouldnt mind us bringing him and then getting him a ticket to the IR resort.
treece300e

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
After tearing his ACL early last year the Bengals released Jordan Shipley after sub-par pre-season games.

I would second this. He's cheap and proved his rookie season that he has talent. Obviously the ACL is a huge concern, but if we were to put him on IR for another season, I think that greatly decreases the chances of hurting it again next season. I really liked him coming out of college and in his rookie season.
longhorntexan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

I would second this. He's cheap and proved his rookie season that he has talent. Obviously the ACL is a huge concern, but if we were to put him on IR for another season, I think that greatly decreases the chances of hurting it again next season. I really liked him coming out of college and in his rookie season.

This is like the third time he's blown out his knee so he's lost a lot of speed from his earlier years at Texas. But he's a workaholic who can mold his game into whatever he needs it to be. I think he could tool himself to be something like Kevin Walter (Not just because he's white). He's got solid hands and crisp route running and he's still pretty big last I saw of him so if he can block...boom. KW2.

Has Holliday's nearly nonexistent potential at wide out been discussed? If he somehow makes the team, would the Texans carry him as a 6th receiver? or pack 5 and expect him to have minimal contributions to the receiving game like DA did for us so well back in the day.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Shipley is more like David Anderson than either KW or Wes Welker (who I thought would be a good comp). He doesn't have great speed (4.55 and probably slower now) or tremendous quickness (4.22 shuttle and probably worse now) or great size (5-11, 195-ish). If he's IR'ed, he'll turn 28 in the first season that he could contribute to the team. He could probably be a solid slot receiver, but we already have a superior option in Keshawn Martin, who is younger, faster, quicker, and is impressing our coaches. I like Shipley and think he's an NFL player, but I don't see the fit with our team.

Sig by matthouston91
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Patience with Posey
Rookie wide receiver DeVier Posey, a third-round pick from Ohio State, still does not have a catch in the preseason. He has been targeted just one time in both of the Texans’ first two preseason games, both times in the fourth quarter.

Because rookie fourth-round pick Keshawn Martin and second-year pro Lestar Jean have played so well, Posey has had fewer opportunities.

“The way it kind of played out last night, the guys that are working with the third group did not get many reps last night,” Kubiak said. “It’s just the way the game came out. I wish I would have got DeVier a little bit more but those other two guys (Martin and Jean) are playing extremely well. They’re picking things up extremely well. I wouldn’t say that DeVier is not doing the same things; I would not say that. I just think that it has taken him a little bit more time to get going with the offense, so to speak. I mentioned many times throughout the course of the month, he did miss a year of football in a lot of ways last year, but his ability shows up… We’re going to play our starters a bunch this week, but before this preseason is over, he’ll get plenty of time.”
per houstontexans.com

How long before he "breaks / injures a finger / wrist" Wink and gets stashed on IR?
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Quote:
Patience with Posey
Rookie wide receiver DeVier Posey, a third-round pick from Ohio State, still does not have a catch in the preseason. He has been targeted just one time in both of the Texans’ first two preseason games, both times in the fourth quarter.

Because rookie fourth-round pick Keshawn Martin and second-year pro Lestar Jean have played so well, Posey has had fewer opportunities.

“The way it kind of played out last night, the guys that are working with the third group did not get many reps last night,” Kubiak said. “It’s just the way the game came out. I wish I would have got DeVier a little bit more but those other two guys (Martin and Jean) are playing extremely well. They’re picking things up extremely well. I wouldn’t say that DeVier is not doing the same things; I would not say that. I just think that it has taken him a little bit more time to get going with the offense, so to speak. I mentioned many times throughout the course of the month, he did miss a year of football in a lot of ways last year, but his ability shows up… We’re going to play our starters a bunch this week, but before this preseason is over, he’ll get plenty of time.”
per houstontexans.com

How long before he "breaks / injures a finger / wrist" Wink and gets stashed on IR?

I highly doubt it. He needs to be out there practicing and catching up. Remember you cant practice if you're on IR and that's what he needs.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Quote:
Patience with Posey

per houstontexans.com

I highly doubt it. He needs to be out there practicing and catching up. Remember you cant practice if you're on IR and that's what he needs.

I'm thinking he gets an aggravated hang nail in the last preseason game and then goes to IR island. What should happen, is he should go to the PS so that he can continue to work on becoming a 3rd round WR. It seems pretty obvious all our fears about Posey being drafted way to early are coming true. I think he'll be safe on the PS because I think Kubiak is the only person that views Posey as anything close to an NFL player. This pick still makes me mad and I wonder how many years we'll drag this guy along, as Kubiaks latest project player, trying to turn him into a player worthy of being a #3WR
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Quote:
Patience with Posey

per houstontexans.com

I'm thinking he gets an aggravated hang nail in the last preseason game and then goes to IR island. What should happen, is he should go to the PS so that he can continue to work on becoming a 3rd round WR. It seems pretty obvious all our fears about Posey being drafted way to early are coming true. I think he'll be safe on the PS because I think Kubiak is the only person that views Posey as anything close to an NFL player. This pick still makes me mad and I wonder how many years we'll drag this guy along, as Kubiaks latest project player, trying to turn him into a player worthy of being a #3WR

That might be tough getting him through to the PS but I dont blame Posey for not getting time. It's not his fault Martin and Jean have risen to the occasion.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Quote:
Patience with Posey

per houstontexans.com

That might be tough getting him through to the PS but I dont blame Posey for not getting time. It's not his fault Martin and Jean have risen to the occasion.

Sadly, you just can't risk exposing a 3rd rounder to waivers as some team like the Dolphins will take a flier on him. Holliday has all but secured a "specialist" spot at this point, so I suspect we will be keeping 6 WR's which is bad news for Jonathan Grimes who probably ships back to the PS. We could also keep just 2 TE's since Casey is really a 3rd TE. I think we will keep one "true" fullback, likely Moran Norris. Don't want to jinx anything, but we still have 2 games for someone to develop that "season ending" sprained ankle and a trip to the IR resort which I can still see befalling Posey.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: