Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best and Worst Moves Since the End of Last Season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Best and Worst Moves Since the End of Last Season Reply with quote

Best Moves:

Cedric Benson - obviously he has been a successful runner for many years and he may bring something to the team that is lacking in James Starks. Interesting they passed on a system runner like Ryan Grant to go for Benson.

Charles Woodson moving to safety - makes me feel better for sure and it should stablize that part of the field.

Drafting all Defensive Players in the First 6 Picks - if a couple of these guys contribute it will be well worth it.

Worst Moves:

Not bringing in more competition to compete against Graham Harrell - looks to be a position of real concern because Harrell ahs shown nothign so far.

Not addressing OL depth - the Packers knew Sherrod likely would not be available opening day and has left a gaping hole at the LT backup spot.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I follow. You say good to taking 6 defensive players and say bad for not getting OL depth, but in there last 2 picks they got an OT and competition for Harrell.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best:

Not drafting Courtney Upshaw.

Worst:

Not signing a cheap vet behind Rodgers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Moves (my favs) -

1. Resigning TJ Lang on the cheap. I like him a lot and think he still has some growth.

2. Trading up to get Worthy. It took some hutzpah and the price wasn't bad at all to move up. It was a good value at that slot too. All and all very happy with it. Plus, maybe Raji will now be allowed to breath on game days!

3. Getting Jeff Saturday. His price is very cheap but he's also pretty old. But it certainly was a need for us and may be even more of a need if we're going no huddle. I hate spending big bucks on centers, I just don't see it and letting Wells go chase his money was the right thing to do.

4. Drafting Nick Perry. Sure, some will say no brainer, but it's not. Perry is exactly the kinda OLBER we need and has looked the part. Sometimes the smartest moves are the ones you shouldn't have to think too much about (Rodgers at pick #24).

5. I can't believe I'm going to say this but the Finley contract. It's really another year to see if this guy can be what some here think he can be. And the price really isn't that much for this year and if he plays at a star level it can be reworked and be manageable.

Things I'm not so crazy about (might be bad moves) -

1. Still not sold on Ced Benson. Had someone started a Ced Ben thread 2 months ago I would have looked for the old "Kick the tires" responses and every other cliche. In the big scheme of things not a big deal though.

2. Not having worked out something with Jennings. Nit picky, I know, but I think he has good football ahead of him and we have some money.

3. Cutting Peprah. I don't like it on face value although many seem to love it around here. I like the depth he gives us. No he's not a starter, but he can play. No he's not Collins, but I dunno if teams have 2nd string guys that are probowlers sitting on their benches either? I have high hopes for Jerron McMillian - but i think he'll need time. Jennings and Levine? Ewww...

4. The coaching of Sam Shields... This guy had a lot of promise and now he's getting buried in the depth chart. Witt has taken blame and yet things are getting worse. Hate to see talent wasted when we are a draft and develop team.

5. Some of these promotions... I wonder about the new QB coach. Again, nit picky and I dunno what goes on behind closed doors and a lot of other stuff. I guess it's a wait and see thing and I'll probably take some flak. I just don't know if I like it.
byzr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best moves:

Drafting the defense rookies as well as bringing in some veteran depth(even if they won't be playing early).

Worst moves/not moves:

Safety is going to be a position of concern i think this season. Chuck should play well there but i don't he'll be there a majority of the time and our other safeties are still developing not including Burnett.

Offensive line is still a little flaky at LT but that could be mostly due to injuries with Newhouse and Sherrord both out. Rodgers moves well i know but I'd rather that be an option rather than a necessity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best: Addressing the pass rush problem in the draft

Worst: Not drafting a single offensive player in the first 6 rounds.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunderhead wrote:
5. Some of these promotions... I wonder about the new QB coach. Again, nit picky and I dunno what goes on behind closed doors and a lot of other stuff. I guess it's a wait and see thing and I'll probably take some flak. I just don't know if I like it.

I agree with this. It is odd that we have a TE coach coaching QBs, a RB coach coaching WR's and a QB coach coaching RB's. Something seems fishy...

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like how some of you guys are critical of our safties... like replacing a nick collins is supposed to happen overnight...

yes that group is probably going to be a problem this year, but not having #36 is 98% to blame for that...

also, if Graham Herrell ever looks as good as Nick Foles looked last night this forum will implode into a black hole
Abalow7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best: drafting Nick Perry. No need to elaborate on this one.

Worst: letting Matt Flynn walk out the door for no return.

Packerbacker87 on the SIG ^
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abalow7 wrote:
Worst: letting Matt Flynn walk out the door for no return.

There was no avoiding that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Abalow7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a certain point, there was no avoiding that. I guess that one falls into a different category: worst move since preseason 2011.

spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abalow7 wrote:
At a certain point, there was no avoiding that. I guess that one falls into a different category: worst move since preseason 2011.

So last year we should have dumped a good backup QB just to get something for him but for this year, a major mistake is not getting a good backup QB?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Abalow7 wrote:

So last year we should have dumped a good backup QB just to get something for him but for this year, a major mistake is not getting a good backup QB?
I think what he is getting at is, last preseason we should have signed Flynn to an extention. Its not like we had no idea he was good... Go back and watch the Pats game. If we offered him a 4 year $9million extension he most likely would have taken that IMO. Then if he had played that well against Detroit, and was on THAT team friendly of a deal we could have gotten a Kevin Kolb esque trade comp for him if we wanted to.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Abalow7 wrote:

I think what he is getting at is, last preseason we should have signed Flynn to an extention. Its not like we had no idea he was good... Go back and watch the Pats game. If we offered him a 4 year $9million extension he most likely would have taken that IMO. Then if he had played that well against Detroit, and was on THAT team friendly of a deal we could have gotten a Kevin Kolb esque trade comp for him if we wanted to.

I highly doubt that. He knew he'd have at least a shot to be a starter somewhere else. He was looking like at the very least a high quality backup and I doubt he would have taken a deal like that.
Abalow7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Abalow7 wrote:

Exactly sir!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: