Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stadium Saga Part XI - Saga is Over, Time for Celebration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laughed when I saw some of the comments by people on the Strib site when they heard that a Wisconsin company was overseeing the construction, not understanding that the Wisconsin company won't be doing the construction, they'll just be overseeing it, which is their specialty (of which there aren't many that can).

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I laughed when I saw some of the comments by people on the Strib site when they heard that a Wisconsin company was overseeing the construction, not understanding that the Wisconsin company won't be doing the construction, they'll just be overseeing it, which is their specialty (of which there aren't many that can).

There's just something about seeing Wisconsin in anything that sends a chill up your back. Once those people figure out exactly what the company is for they might settle down.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said he is patient with the progress being made on the team's new stadium, with the first big move to be made sometime in September when the architect for the building is named.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/166592656.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
SodakViking

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, my uncle works for a cement company that has worked on the metrodome, target field, and other large projects in South Dakota and Minnesota, including negotiations with the new Viking stadium. I cornered him and picked his brain on everything he knew about the deal! (he said he already has had 5 meetings about it!)

He said the architecture company will 99.99% be Populous which is probably the best sports architecture company in the world. They base out of Kansas City. He said he's been to their headquarters and it's basically a sports bar and the atmosphere is awesome.

More excitingly, he's seen a couple conceptual designs done by Populous. One of which, like rumored, is modeled after Lucas Oil Stadium (this one had a lot of concrete siding, which he favored Laughing). The second one he said looked more futuristic, with a lot of metal on the outside; very "spaceship" like.

Both of them had fixed roofs, but hopefully that changes. He didn't have any details about the retractable roof or anything.

It was very interesting, since whenever he would get an email with pictures or designs, there was some kind of thing that automatically deleted it from his mailbox. He couldn't talk about anymore, since it was confidential, but still cool!
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Nice intel
[UMN]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Populous also did TCF stadium.

Here are some of the stadiums they have done:
http://populous.com/projects/type/stadia/
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want that one!!!!

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
Eastern Walrus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at that brazil butt!
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

their style is very organic, making the stadia look like they grew naturally out of the native environment.

i fear ours will look like a giant Minnesota hot dish.

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
their style is very organic, making the stadia look like they grew naturally out of the native environment.

or else this style will become outdated and 20-25 years and the team will end up wanting a new stadium. I just hope they can build something that will stand for generations and not fizzle out like the dome concept did.

I am not a fan of the University of Phoenix stadium, but I like Lucas Oil stadium if I had a preference.
Shorty McFast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
I want that one!!!!

Looks like an 8 year old is their photoshop expert. Terrible.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

That, or a giant mosquito. Laughing

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday’s deadline to submit design proposals for the new Vikings stadium resulted in five bids from nationally-recognized architectural and engineering firms. All five of the following firms have previous NFL stadium design experience:

AECOM: Based out of Los Angeles, AECOM designed CenturyLink Field, home of the Seattle Seahawks. The firm also oversaw the renovation of Green Bay’s Lambeau Field.

Ewing Cole: Philadelphia-based Ewing Cole partnered with 360 Architecture to design MetLife Stadium, the $1.6 billion home of the New York Jets and New York Giants that opened in 2009.

HKS, Inc.: HKS has designed two of the most recent NFL stadiums – Lucas Oil Field (Indianapolis-2008) and Cowboys Stadium (Dallas-2009). In 2008, the Dallas-based firm worked with the then-Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission and the Vikings on a new stadium outline for the Metrodome site.

HNTB, Corp.: Kansas City-based HNTB designed the San Francisco 49ers new home in Santa Clara – the most recent NFL stadium currently under construction.

Populous: Formerly known as HOK Sport, Kansas City-based Populous has extensive experience with facilities in the Twin Cities, having designed Target Field, Xcel Energy Center and TCF Bank Stadium.The firm’s recent NFL stadium experience includes University of Phoenix Stadium (Arizona-2006), Gillette Stadium (New England-2002) and Reliant Stadium (Houston-2002).

Each of the five firms will have a chance to present their proposals to the Stadium Authority and the Vikings in the coming weeks. The Authority and the Vikings will be looking for creative elements that make this stadium unique to Minnesota and provide the game day experience Vikings fans deserve.

http://blog.vikings.com/2012/08/31/five-firms-submit-bids-to-design-new-vikings-stadium/

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf will be here Thursday and Friday, when the architect for the team’s new stadium will be selected.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/168282386.html?refer=y

big news comin' UP!

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five architectural and engineering firms bidding to design the new Vikings stadium will show off their résumés at an open house Thursday at the Metrodome from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on the Metrodome field. Those interested in attending are asked to enter through Gate D.

The firms will display their work on the Metrodome floor, allowing the public to inspect past projects and ask questions. Representatives of each firm also will deliver a short presentation.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/168703736.html?refer=y

but apparently aren't showing any ideas/sketches of the new stadium. bummer.

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: