Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

That Titans Fan Preseason Week 2 Defense Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: That Titans Fan Preseason Week 2 Defense Review Reply with quote

Whew, What a frikking game. We all know this next week is going to be about nothing but Locker v. Hass, but it shouldn't be. That was one of the best defensive efforts I've ever seen the Titans put forth.

So let's start at the same place as last week- the DLine.

The good-
#1. Holy heck, could our DT rotation be any deadlier? I commented on how good Marks looked last week, but I said I wanted to see more. I saw more- his sack was a beautiful play, just ripped the guard out of the way and threw himself onto Freeman. He penetrated a few more times on rush plays, and held his ground all game long.
#2. Again, Klug and Casey show how great those picks were. Casey was a terror in the run game, with 6 tackles and 1 TFL. Klug didn't show up in the stat line, but he was constantly in the backfield, getting in Freeman's face, and just generally being a badass.
#3. Martin looks immovable in the run game. Despite being a fair bit smaller than Shaun Smith, he is doing what we brought in Smith to do last year. He didn't pop on the stat line, but he got ok movement rushing as well.
#4. Hey there Derrick Morgan! 2 tackles, a sack, a TFL, and a QB hit. Granted, the sack was a freebie given by the DTs forcing Freeman to move, but Morgan was getting good push and was in the exact spot he needed to be to keep Freeman from getting out. His TFL was a good play against the LT, and he actually seemed to hold his own in the run game.

The bad- Nothing really. Wimbley didn't show up on the stat line, but hey, why complain when the two starting RBs average 3.3 and 1.4 yards a carry, and we hold their starter to 4/10 with 21 yards. Add in 3 sacks by the first team defense, a forced fumble, and an int (although orlovsky threw it).

This was just pure domination by our Dline. And Tampa's OLine may not be top 5, but they aren't awful either. I wonder how they feel spending all that money on Nicks and Jackson now?

LB- See Dline

The good
#1- Ayers was beastly, he was all over the field, didn't make bad choices, and just played well.
#2- McCarthy is still making plays, and he has such good vision to slice through lanes right as the RB goes for them. Again, if he was a little more athletic and quicker, he'd already be one of the best MLBs in the league. He has such an amazing feel for the run game. His only liability is going to be in the passing game against speed, but he takes angles so well that it might not matter. He did have one bad play, where he saw the lane, and went for a TFL, but the angle he took allowed the RB to take an extra step outside and slide past the ankle tackle McCarthy put on him.
#3. Zach Brown just keeps looking better and better. A TFL, 6 tackles, good coverage. Granted he didn't play much against the 1s, but he is clearly dominating the 2s. Two good weeks in a row.

The Bad- Absolutely nothing. Our linebackers played a hell of a game. No big mistakes anywhere.

The Secondary- Invisible, in the best possible way.
The good
#1- Hawkins looks pretty legit. Good moves to grab the Int, and he had a pass defensed.
#2- Freeman just couldn't throw. The Secondary blanketed the receivers, and the Dline got too much pressure for the WRs to ever break free. Really impressive work.

The Bad- Not much
I guess we wish to see more from Johnson? But there were so few throws that it isn't surprising we saw nothing big. He didn't give up anything big, so that's always a plus.

This is exactly what I wanted to see out of our defense. The Secondary is good enough to blanket the deep and mid passing game to give our Dline time to go to work. We may have been sliced up a little against Seattle, but in two games I don't think we've given up a single pass over 20 yards. And with how opportunistic our players are, even a west coast offense has a lot to fear. The Dline continues to be powered around the tackles, and with Marks emerging as a big threat, we have one hell of a 4 man rotation. Morgan looked a lot better this week, Wimbley put on pressure even though he didn't get any good stats, and Egboh again looked like a fantastic rotational player. Our linebacking core looks solid as hell, regardless of whether Brown takes the spot or Witherspoon holds on.

Oh, and we're still the second youngest defense in the league. Think about that.

Last note- Gray still hasn't opened up his bag of tricks. If we're getting this type of pressure and control in the run game now, imagine what we're going to do when he starts bring Verner, Babineaux/Johnson, Ayers, and Brown (if he steals the spot) on blitzes, or starts running zone blitzes to overload sides.

Hey, screw offense. We were up 20-7 first v. first team. If our defense plays like this, we don't need no offense.

PS: Regardless of how Locker played, look at the difference in running room. Lockers legs kept alive a drive, could have kept alive another (if he hadn't thrown that int), and definitely added another level to our play action. CJ and Reynaud benefited.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

long post.

i will enjoy reading this.

as much as I personally post on here, I lurk so much more.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
long post.

Good read confirmed.

One note: For the bad on secondary, I'd count that redzone Mike Williams touchdown catch. We were just abused on that play.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
long post.

Good read confirmed.

One note: For the bad on secondary, I'd count that redzone Mike Williams touchdown catch. We were just abused on that play.

It did look pitiful.

Adopt-A-Titan 2013-14
- Kendall Wright 73 rec 857 yd 2 TD <3
- Shonn Greene 49 car 190 yd 3 TD
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TwoToneBlue"][quote="RuskieTitan"][quote="RuskieTitan"]long post.

as much as I personally post on here, I lurk so much more.[/quote]

Good read confirmed.

One note: For the bad on secondary, I'd count that redzone Mike Williams touchdown catch. We were just abused on that play.[/quote]

It did look pitiful.[/quote]

Eh- that's a size matchup that we won't win. If Campbell does seize the 3rd corner position, it wouldn't surprise me if we pull Verner off in those situations.
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatTitansFan wrote:
TwoToneBlue wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
long post.

Good read confirmed.

It did look pitiful.

Eh- that's a size matchup that we won't win. If Campbell does seize the 3rd corner position, it wouldn't surprise me if we pull Verner off in those situations.

I mean, he's only listed at 6'2". Honestly that's probably below average height for an NFL receiver.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13489/mike-williams

Adopt-A-Titan 2013-14
- Kendall Wright 73 rec 857 yd 2 TD <3
- Shonn Greene 49 car 190 yd 3 TD
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TwoToneBlue"][quote="ThatTitansFan"]
It did look pitiful.[/quote]

Eh- that's a size matchup that we won't win. If Campbell does seize the 3rd corner position, it wouldn't surprise me if we pull Verner off in those situations.[/quote]

I mean, he's only listed at 6'2". Honestly that's probably below average height for an NFL receiver.

[url]http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13489/mike-williams[/url][/quote]

Still better than Verner at 5'9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: