Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Predict The Final 53
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mile High wrote:
Story: I train with a guy named Reggie Givens, he played at Penn St and then for 3 years in the NFL. His third year in the NFL he was special teams capitan for the Redskins. His 4th year he got cut. The reason is that his 4th year qualified him for a higher veteran minimum, and not matter how good he was (special teams capitan) they could still get literally 2 younger NFL players in his place.

How this relates to the Broncos: David Bruton. Special teams capitan last year and a decent player. It's just that his 700,000 minimum is really high compared to a rookies 390,000. I think he gets cut because of that minimum.

That's an interesting story, thanks for your sharing, but I'll bet you David Bruton will make the team.
DiehardBronxFan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos 2012 53 Man Roster
Givens:

Offense
QB: Manning, Osweiler
RB: McGahee, Hillman
WR: Decker, Thomas, Caldwell
TE: Dreessen, Tamme
OL: Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Franklin, Ramirez, Clark

16 Secure spots (barring injury)

Defense
DL: Dumervil, Bannan, Vickerson, Warren, Wolfe, Ayers
LB: Miller, Irving, Mays, Woodyard
CB: Bailey, Porter, Harris, Florence
Safety: Moore, Carter, Adams

17 Secure spots

Special Teams
K: Prater
P: Colquitt
LS: Paxton

3 Secure spots

Total – 36 of 53 spots are locked in barring injury. 17 spots have some level of “competition” to make the team.

Key Contenders by position, and my call:

OFFENSE:

QB: Hanie, Weber. I don’t believe either will make the final 53. Only reason to keep Hanie is if he is your number 2, but he has shown nothing to suggest he can do that (whether it be last year or in camp). No use using a spot on Weber with PS eligibility.
My Call: Broncos keep 2 (or, add a FA).

RB: Ball, Moreno, Johnson, Oman. Toughest position to call. All offer something, all have drawbacks. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the Broncos try to trade Moreno for a late round pick or some veteran depth at OL or LB. Fox will want Ball as a “proven commodity”. Oman and JJ battle it out for the final spot. Oman is hungrier and grabs it during the final preseason games (making Moreno expendable).
My Call: Moreno is traded, Ball and Oman make the final 53.

FB: Gronkowski, Sylvester. Easy choice is Gronkowski – clearly running ahead of Sylvester all through camp. But I just can’t bring myself to go that direction – he’s useless – always has been. Don’t know enough about Sylvester to justify this pick, but he HAS to be better than Gronk, doesn’t he?
My Call: Sylvester makes the final 53.

OL: Blake, Davis, Harris: Oddly, Blake is probably the least prepared to contribute, but the most likely to be picked up if let go. Big question is whether the Broncos try to Gamble and sneak him on the PS. Biggest need is OT (as Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Franklin, and Martinez give you versatility along the middle). And, most important thing for this line is to keep Manning on his feet.
My Call: Harris makes the final 53.

TE: Green, Thomas, Ingram. Green will make this team, but not opening day. Question is whether the Broncos keep 3 or 4 TE for opening day. Clark gives them versatility as an extra blocking TE. Thomas’s upside has to make Manning and Elway salivate, and its not like he hasn’t flashed, when not injured.
My Call: Thomas makes the final 53.

WR: Stokely, Willis, Hill, Robinson, Orton, Dell. Stokely is a virtual lock, although I wish it wasn’t so. I love him, but we are going to be sacrificing somebody that can contribute on Special Teams and be part of the organization in years to come for one last hurrah from Stokes. Hopefully he catches a tipped ball for a last minute, game winning touchdown to justify keeping him
My Call: Stokely, Willis, and Hill make the final 53

Total on Offense: 24:

DEFENSE:

DL: Beal, Unrein, Siliga, Jackson. Another tough position to call. Not sure whether Unrein, Siliga have PS eligibility. With Hunter down, we are thin at DE. It scares me that we are one play away from having Beal as our starting rush end. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see the Broncos bring in a veteran DE at cut-down. Think Beal and Siliga go back to PS.
My Call: Unrein, Jackson, and a Vet DE make the final 53

LB: Brooking, Trevathan, Mohamed, Franklin, Johnson. Our weakest position, IMO. Trevathan has been impressive and seems a virtual lock at WLB. Franklin shows promise, but too raw. Brooking was done last year, but I really think Fox is looking for someone he can trust behind the kids. Mohamed is back-up MLB by default. Another position where we may try to find a vet at cut-down.
My Call: Trevathan and Mohamed make the final 53.

CB: Bolden, Thompson, Jones. Key question here is how CB’s they decide to keep. Elway is planning on Manning putting up points – and thus will want the depth at CB. Plus, Thompson is their best PR.
My Call: Bolden and Thompson make the final 53.

Safety: Leonard, Bush, Bruton. I may be one of the few that think Bruton is a serviceable back-up safety. Combined with his solid contribution on PS, would like to see him stay. But don’t think Leonard was brought in to get cut, and don’t see them keeping 11 DB’s.
My Call: Bruton makes the final 53! (made this call right after Bruton blocked the punt)

Total on Defense: 26
bobdevine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiehardBronxFan wrote:
Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the Broncos try to trade Moreno for a late round pick or some veteran depth at OL or LB.

I was going to make this prediction too. While its sad that a ex-1st-rounder may only be worth an OL backup, a "used" RB depreciates quickly.

By the way, here are the Madden rankings of WRs:
http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/article/receivers-ratings-in-madden-nfl-13
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be shocked if Ryan Harris gets cut and never plays another down.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB: Manning, Osweiler
RB: McGahee, Ball, Hillman
FB: Gronkowski
WR: Thomas, Decker, Stokley, Caldwell, Willis
TE: Dreessen, Tamme
OL: Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Franklin, Clark, Ramirez, Blake

DE: Doom, Wolfe, Ayers
DT: Warren, Vickerson, Unrein, Bannan
LB: Woodyard, Trevathan, Irving, Miller, Mays
CB: Bailey, Porter, Harris, Florence, Bolden
S: Carter, Adams, Moore

There's a base 41 which leaves 9 spaces for final picks

Caleb Hanie looks to be the 2nd QB

I think we keep 4 RB's. Moreno v Johnson v Omon on Thursday night. 2 down.

Will we keep 3 tight ends? Could Ryan Harris, Tony Hills or CJ Davis sneak in as a 9th OL maybe? I'm saying we go 2 TE's and 10 OL with Harris and Davis on the 53. So that's a 25 man offense.

Will Beal make the team? I think yes.

6th linebacker Mohammed, Brooking or Johnson? I reckon Brooking.

Dave Bruton and Leonard both make the team IMO mainly for special teams.

And finally, Syd'Quan for return duties.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB (3): Manning, Osweiler, Hanie
RB (4): McGahee, Hillman, Ball, Moreno
FB (0):
WR (6): Thomas, Decker, Stokley, Caldwell, Willis, Hill
TE (3): Dreessen, Tamme, Ingram
G/C (5): Kuper, Beadles, Walton, Ramirez, Blake
OT (3): Clady, Franklin, Clark
OFFENSE: 24

DE (5): Dumervil, Wolfe, Ayers, Beal, Jackson
DT (4): Warren, Vickerson, Bannan, Unrein
LB (7): Mays, Miller, Irving, Woodyard, Trevathan, Johnson, Brooking
CB (5): Bailey, Porter, Florence, Harris, Bolden
S (5): Adams, Carter, Moore, Leonhard, Bruton
DEFENSE: 26

SPECIAL (3): Prater, Colquitt, Brewer

I went back&forth on whether the team would only keep 2 QBs but Hanie will be useful for practices. Osweiler isn't experienced enough for that even though he might sub for Manning in real games.

Zero FBs? Yeah, I think a TE (maybe Ingram) can do the blocking on run plays, even though that's not ideal, the need for OL is greater than keeping a roster spot for a pure FB.

I wouldn't be surprised if a new CB is grabbed from the cut list to replace Florence. And maybe a good backup OL can be found.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
Zero FBs? Yeah, I think a TE (maybe Ingram) can do the blocking on run plays, even though that's not ideal, the need for OL is greater than keeping a roster spot for a pure FB.

Ingram is a terrible blocker(and haha at him making the team but not Virgil Green, doubt that's going to happen) and Gronkowski plays a lot on Special Teams so I expect he will make the team for that reason. Speaking of Fullbacks though, I wouldn't mind us getting Anthony Dixon if he was available. He can play both back positions and I wouldn't mind him taking Moreno's spot on the team and competing with Ball for time.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think there are several players, maybe 5 or more, that make the 53 that are on other teams right now.

With what I saw last week, it shouldn't be too tough to upgrade our depth off the waiver wire.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so here is my guess ...

QB - Manning, Hanie, Osweiler (3)
RB - McGahee, Moreno, Hillman, Ball (4)
FB - Gronkowski (1)
TE - Dreesen, Tamme, Thomas (3)
WR - Decker, Thomas, Stokley, Caldwell, Willis (5)
OT - Clady, Franklin, Clark (3)
OG/C - Beadles, Kuper, Walton, Ramirez, Blake (5)

(24 players)

DE - Dumervil, Beal, Ayers, Jackson (4)
DT - Warren, Bannan, Vickerson, Unrein, Wolfe (5)
LB - Woodyard, Mays, Miller, Trevathan, Irving, Johnson (6)
CB - Bailey, Porter, Harris, Florence, Bolden, Tony Carter (6)
S - Adams, Moore, Leonhard, Bruton, Quentin Carter (5)

(26 players)

LS - Brewer
K - Prater
P - Colquitt

(3 players)

Suspended: DJ Williams, Virgil Green

Practice Squad: Garland (DT), Blatnick (DE), Orton (WR), Ingram (TE), Weber (QB), Robinson (WR), Siliga (DT), Tribue (OG)

So, there it is. The highlights are firstly that we carry 11 DB's. I just think with the way the league is right now, and the opponents we face whilst DJ is suspended, we end up keeping Tony Carter who I think has done a good job in coverage this preseason. He isn't big, but he is always around his man in coverage which is a good sign in my opinion. I could certainly envisage this not happening, but it is just an inclination of mine.

Jeremiah Johnson is probably the toughest cut of all. He flashed his burst of speed again yesterday, but I just think that Knowshon Moreno did enough last night to keep his roster spot. I have no doubt JJ will latch on somewhere else very quickly on Friday night/Saturday morning.

As for the PS - we may find a way to get Ihenacho on there, but with us carrying 5 Safeties on the active roster I just thought there wasn't enough room for him.

MUFC OK
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

FB - Gronkowski (1)

(24 players)

(26 players)

LS - Brewer
K - Prater
P - Colquitt

(3 players)

Practice Squad: Garland (DT), Blatnick (DE), Orton (WR), Ingram (TE), Weber (QB), Robinson (WR), Siliga (DT), Tribue (OG)

So, there it is. The highlights are firstly that we carry 11 DB's. I just think with the way the league is right now, and the opponents we face whilst DJ is suspended, we end up keeping Tony Carter who I think has done a good job in coverage this preseason. He isn't big, but he is always around his man in coverage which is a good sign in my opinion. I could certainly envisage this not happening, but it is just an inclination of mine.

Jeremiah Johnson is probably the toughest cut of all. He flashed his burst of speed again yesterday, but I just think that Knowshon Moreno did enough last night to keep his roster spot. I have no doubt JJ will latch on somewhere else very quickly on Friday night/Saturday morning.

As for the PS - we may find a way to get Ihenacho on there, but with us carrying 5 Safeties on the active roster I just thought there wasn't enough room for him.

I think this is the exact same 53-man I was about to post. Agree on everything.

My biggest bubble player right now is Tony Carter. Hes a decent player and coaches seem to like him a lot, I just dont know where he fits on this team.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last shot

Manning, Hanie, Osweiler
McGahee, Ball, Hillman, Moreno
Gronkowski
Thomas, Decker, Stokley, Caldwell, Willis
Dreessen, Tamme
Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Franklin, Clark, Harris, Blake, Ramirez
(24)

Dumervil, Wolfe, Jackson, Ayers, Beal
Warren, Bannan, Vickerson, Unrein
Woodyard, Mays, Miller, Irving, Trevathan, Johnson, Brooking
Bailey, Porter, Harris, Florence, Bolden
Adams, Carter, Moore, Leonhard, Bruton
(26)

Prater, Colquitt, Brewer
(3)

Reserve/Suspended
Williams
Green

IR
Fannin
Hunter

PS
Weber
PICKUP RB
Robinson
Orton
Siliga
Blatick
Franklin
Ihenacho
DiehardBronxFan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Personally I think there are several players, maybe 5 or more, that make the 53 that are on other teams right now.

With what I saw last week, it shouldn't be too tough to upgrade our depth off the waiver wire.

Given our position in the Waiver order (we're like 25th, aren't we) it will likely be harder than you might think. Seem to be a lot of team with holes on the OL. I doubt we pick anybody up at WR, TE, RB, or CB. would Also be surprised if we pick any on up at DL. OL, LB, and QB are the best bets, and I just don't see more than 1 or 2 decent options falling to us.
DiehardBronxFan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

FB - Gronkowski (1)

(24 players)

(26 players)

LS - Brewer
K - Prater
P - Colquitt

(3 players)

I think this is the exact same 53-man I was about to post. Agree on everything.

My biggest bubble player right now is Tony Carter. Hes a decent player and coaches seem to like him a lot, I just dont know where he fits on this team.

Yup, gotta agree this looks right. The only difference I would not be surprised to see is Brooking ( or some other veteran, waived LB) insted of Carter. Just get the hunch Fox and JDR want some sort of veteran experience in the LB core (other than Mays)
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get to see the game last night, but it looked like Moreno is playing with a bit more gumption. That is a good sign, I think.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beal to IR apparently.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: