Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Duane Brown extended
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAS22 wrote:
Quote:
Duane Brown signed 6-year $53.4 million extension. $22.08 guananteed. $8.9 million average.

LINK

Wow, I can deal with that. Good for both sides.

Outstanding news, props to Rick Smith for getting this done and for a price that's good for both sides. Applause Applause Applause

As for Barwin, I think we have more leverage on him due to our depth at the OLB position and ability to draft that position well. While I very much want to extend Barwin as well, I want it for a reasonable price tag. I think we'll get that deal done as well, as I don't see Barwin as the type to squeeze us for every nickle he can get. Hopefully these guys realize we're trying to put together a team to make several deep playoff/Super Bowl runs.
texansfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing the numbers, this is definitely a good signing for the Texans. Considering only $22M is guaranteed as well is also really good for us.

Good deal all around. If they can lock-up Barwin in a similiar fashion, I'd be all for it.
mse326

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great deal.

Just to put it in further perspective other than the top 10 money said earlier, the franchise tag this year for tackles was $9.383M and would likely stay around there next year.

It was really smart to get this done now. He really only had the 1 year of elite play. Another year and the price goes up. And with Clady and Jake Long also about to hit FA the contracts they might receive could also have raised it.

#JDI
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown & Smith earning their paychecks! (Myers too)

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/wade-smith-calls-meeting-for-offensive-linemen-after-sloppy-showing/
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
dsorc wrote:
I'm very surprised at the numbers. I expected something closer to what Jordan Gross got in 2009 (6years 60million) which would have made Brown a top5 paid OT by average salary. He's still in the top 10 average salary but that was definitely a discount.

I will take it 100 times out of 100.

Given the changes he's made to this roster in the last two years, Rick Smith has GOT to win GM of the year. I'll admit - we have to see how the right side of the OL pans out before we can REALLY say everything has turned to gold, but for the most part, he's been nothing short of fantastic.

Did any of you know that Brown's deal actually kicks in NEXT year? So if I understand this correctly, he's going to keep his current cap figure this season, and NEXT year is when we'll see his new contract hit our books. Brown is going to "play out" his new deal, but won't hit the open market at all with this deal waiting to take the place of the new deal.

This is just GREAT, GREAT news. I am extremely impressed with how Rick Smith dealt with this one. He dodged a big bullet by not letting Brown hit the open market, but didn't burden the current cap with a new extension for a prime LT in the NFL.

GM of the year, hands down.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
kenney

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
dsorc wrote:
I'm very surprised at the numbers. I expected something closer to what Jordan Gross got in 2009 (6years 60million) which would have made Brown a top5 paid OT by average salary. He's still in the top 10 average salary but that was definitely a discount.

Given the changes he's made to this roster in the last two years, Rick Smith has GOT to win GM of the year. I'll admit - we have to see how the right side of the OL pans out before we can REALLY say everything has turned to gold, but for the most part, he's been nothing short of fantastic.

Did any of you know that Brown's deal actually kicks in NEXT year? So if I understand this correctly, he's going to keep his current cap figure this season, and NEXT year is when we'll see his new contract hit our books. Brown is going to "play out" his new deal, but won't hit the open market at all with this deal waiting to take the place of the new deal.

This is just GREAT, GREAT news. I am extremely impressed with how Rick Smith dealt with this one. He dodged a big bullet by not letting Brown hit the open market, but didn't burden the current cap with a new extension for a prime LT in the NFL.

I noticed that as well. My hope is that Smith's intent was to leave a little room to incentivize Barwin to re-up this year by giving him a pay bump, as you mentioned in an earlier post.

Now I'm just waiting for Apollo to pop in and reveal why this is secretly a terrible move.
jargin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
dsorc wrote:

Its really amazing to think about the work Smith has done with striking gold in the draft and free agency. Hes been absolutely top notch.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
dsorc wrote:

I noticed this as well but assumed it was so that we could sign a WR once cuts start. I still think there's a WR in someones training camp that doesn't know he's going to be a Houston Texan in about a month. From the little I've heard we only have about 3.5-4 mil. in cap space right now so I don't think Brown's new salary would fit the team this year anyway. I really hope that Smith is keeping a close eye on the waiver wire for a WR.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: