Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cundiff vs Tucker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you think will be the 2012 kicker?
Billy Cundiff
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
Justin Tucker
84%
 84%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 26

RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
jpeter15 wrote:
I think we end up keeping Cundiff and see how he does during the season, then if he struggles we can easily bring in Tucker without really missing a step. I think it is very unlikely we flat out cut Cundiff before the season even if Tucker beats him out in preseason.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we did. If Tucker shows he's the better man for the job, we'd save money under the cap by cutting Cundiff and could use it elsewhere. Then, if Tucker screws the pooch, I'm sure Cundiff will still be floating around to bring him in. If we let Tucker go, I wouldn't be surprised to see another team potentially scoop him up kinda like what happened with Hauschka.

I also read that in camp, Tucker is currently 82/97 (84.5%) whereas Cundiff is 74/89 (83%).

That was actually a typo Tucker is 82/87 (94%) and has been perfect most days in camp
http://www.csnwashington.com/08/15/12/Justin-Tucker-has-made-82-of-87-FGs-in-c/mobile_landing.html?blockID=757173&feedID=6703

Yeah. I definitely want Tucker. He looks good and just about anything would be better than going into the season with Cundiff as the kicker. I'd much rather have the doubt of having an inexperienced rookie, than have a guy we already know we can't trust.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but supposedly Tucker has also punted before so that's kind of a nice insurance policy in case Koch ever got injured. That's another plus for Tucker.

I see a ton of reasons to keep Tucker and I don't see any reason to keep Cundiff. I think this is going to come down to the end of preseason, but in the end I see Tucker winning this. Cundiff has no case. If he can't even beat out the rookie in training camp and preseason, he shouldn't get any kind of preference because he's a veteran. From his track record, that's only a negative.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before. I think this competition should be over. If this were a QB competition and a rookie QB was so thoroughly owning a veteran than he'd likely be announced the winner of the competition sometime after the 2nd preseason game. The only reason this competition will likely go down to the wire is because Harbaugh cares so much about being the nice guy. He doesn't want to let go of Cundiff too early because he doesn't want to hurt his feelings.

The fact is I haven't been as confident in a kicker than I am in Tucker since... Well obviously Matt Stover. A couple months ago I mentioned Tucker's college resume and thrusted my hopes onto him. Some called it hyping training camp fodder. I said that I knew Cundiff was a fraud and that our only hope was for "J. Tucker to not die". Well preseason is nearly halfway through and not only has Tucker survived, but he's a machete wielding, zombie slashing beast reminiscent of Tallahassee from Zombieland... And Cundiff is.. A Twinkie and nothing more.

There's still plenty of time for Tucker to fraud, but as was said by one Dark Knight, "Sometimes, the truth isn’t good enough. Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded."... This is one of those times. Whether Tucker is the answer or not in the long term, in the short term he needs to be given this chance. We've been desperate to replace what we had in Stover and we need a new kicker to believe in. Harbaugh needs to make the right decision and reward out faith as fans with Tucker. If not, I'll be incredibly livid.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without being as dramatic as my guy diamondbull, I have felt since early training camp this should be Tucker's job.

The guy has a very good leg, and is accurate. Plus he's young, and could be our kicker the next 10-20 years. That type of stability on special teams is always a good thing.
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll be pissed if they don't keep Tucker over Cundiff barring some kind of catastrophic collapse from Tucker. He's the obvious choice and if they stick with Cundiff after the way both have played, why even bring him Tucker and say there's a competition. If we keep Cundiff, there was obviously no real intention of keeping Tucker because Tucker is winning the competition. I'm pretty sure Tucker wins this if there is really a competition.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ravens24x7.com/columns/Lombardis-Way/Cundiff-thinks-kicking-job-is-his-to-lose

Quote:
“The way the coaches have approached me and the way everybody in the organization has approached it is that if I kick well, this is my job,” Cundiff said after the game. “This isn’t necessarily a competition between myself and Justin. This is really a competition with myself and how good I can be.”

Quote:
“We’ve just been a little more aggressive,” Cundiff said. “We’ve got a young guy in camp, so kicking 65-yard field goals seems to be like the flavor of the week.”

Whoa. It's on.
bmore4life815

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Stock up on the ruffles awhile, Cundiff, Justin will take it from here.

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like last year when Cam Cameron was given an extension, this will be my reaction if Cundiff wins the kicking job if it continues to go the way it's going now:

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I just have to believe that Cundiff is simply recylcling old info that the coaches told him and/or is simply delusional to the fact that he's actually competing with Tucker and is losing the competition. I mean, he's losing the kicking "competition" so what else is he going to say... "well, uh... I'm not exactly a better kicker than Justin.. in fact, I'm worse... but the coaches really like me! Mr. Green "

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Cundiff is officially gone.
FlaccoForever

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Token wrote:
And Cundiff is officially gone.

From Aaron Wilson:

Quote:
ravensinsider Aaron Wilson
Thing about Justin Tucker is his maturity was unusual for a rookie. He earned this job
5 minutes ago Reply Retweet Favorite 6

Billy Cundiff was due $2.2 million base salary before being cut. Justin Tucker is due $390,000 salary, so financial element, too
7 minutes ago Reply Retweet Favorite 11

The thing about this competition is Justin Tucker was making long kicks with ease while Billy Cundiff's accuracy wasn't as sharp
10 minutes ago Reply Retweet Favorite 6

Not surprising that Billy Cundiff was released. Couldn't overcome AFC title game miss and the superior preseason of rookie Justin Tucker
11 minutes ago Reply Retweet

Token did you help pack Cundiff's bags because I'm available to take him to the airport Laughing Laughing
ceejay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife came up to me and said she had an early birthday present. I said what? My birthdays in December. She handed me her iPhone and insisted I read Aaron Wilsons tweet.

I almost dropped the phone and fainted. Best day of the year by far! I hate you Billy and I pray you never get a job again. Welcome to Baltimore Tucker!

Cundiff??

Na na naaa naaaaa, na na naaa naaaaaa, heeeeey heeey heeeeeeey gooodbyeeeeeeee!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really should have been a no brainer. Tucker was clearly the better choice.

Free Ray Rice
FlaccoForever

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceejay wrote:
Wife came up to me and said she had an early birthday present. I said what? My birthdays in December. She handed me her iPhone and insisted I read Aaron Wilsons tweet.

I almost dropped the phone and fainted. Best day of the year by far! I hate you Billy and I pray you never get a job again. Welcome to Baltimore Tucker!

Cundiff??

Na na naaa naaaaa, na na naaa naaaaaa, heeeeey heeey heeeeeeey gooodbyeeeeeeee!

LOL Laughing Laughing I'm available to take him to the airport to facilitate his exit out of Baltimore, any one available and willing to help him pack LOL.
Rebllious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Tucker clearly beat him out, he's looked great. I thought we would go with the vet though

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's good news. I'm glad that Tucker didn't end up being training camp fodder. The extra boost in salary cap space is nice too, I'm fully expecting the team to use what they have left to pick up somebody useful. I'm thinking a OLB, either a RUSH or SAM would work. Somebody at S would make sense too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: