Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 29th pick, MINN selects - Harrison Smith [S] ND
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turf2grass wrote:
I still think we'd be better off if we get another cb, if there is 1 worth which ever pick, and move Winfield to safety to pair with Smith. Everyone keeps saying that the safety's are more important in our defense then the corners anyway. Put our 2 best db @ safety then. We'd maybe have safety's that can tackle.

That would not be smart. Winfield is best on the line of scrimmage, in the slot close to the quarterback. Putting him at safety takes away all his effectiveness.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
turf2grass wrote:
I still think we'd be better off if we get another cb, if there is 1 worth which ever pick, and move Winfield to safety to pair with Smith. Everyone keeps saying that the safety's are more important in our defense then the corners anyway. Put our 2 best db @ safety then. We'd maybe have safety's that can tackle.

That would not be smart. Winfield is best on the line of scrimmage, in the slot close to the quarterback. Putting him at safety takes away all his effectiveness.

Not too mention, Winfield in jump ball situations in deep halves against WRs like Marshall and Megatron is a disaster waiting to happen. Winfeild is a terrible fit at S for the Vikes Cover 2 scheme
Purple Floyd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At his age Winfield is not the man he used to be and his contribution to the team will now be in limited roles rather than an every down player. He has also began to break down physically over the last few years due to his playing style.

We needed a starting S very badly as we did nearly every other position on the team. Hopefully the staff is good enough to take these guys and get more production out of them than they have been able to with the secondary players that have been drafted in the mid rounds the past 5-6 years. It would be a refreshing change.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spielman: "I think when you're building your roster and you look at the center of your roster, from your center to your quarterback to your linebacker to your safety, those better be very intelligent people because that's who's directing traffic. Those are the guys making the calls and adjustments. With Chad Greenway, with John Sullivan, with Christian Ponder and now with Harrison Smith, not only do you have very good football players, but you have very intelligent football players. That is a huge key to putting that roster together."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20515367/nfl-draft-vikings-gm-says-we-did-have

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of Harrison Smith, the Vikings were so convinced of his value after the Senior Bowl that they didn't speak again through the entire draft process. They didn't interview him at the annual scouting combine and didn't invite him to their facility for a pre-draft visit.

Spielman: "When we got into our meetings and we put our board together and seeing how it was going to develop and knowing that we do need some help on the back end to improve our secondary. That was the one huge advantage of being able to coach the Senior Bowl because we got to know those players inside and out and know what they are about. How they are in a meeting room. How they are out on the field. Our coaches know what it’s like to coach that player so that was a huge advantage for us and we know exactly what we are getting in Harrison Smith."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/41488/tying-a-ribbon-around-the-2012-nfl-draft

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrison Smith:

I don't have anything in mind to purchase when I sign my contract. Maybe someplace to live and some groceries for the house.

I like all types of music. I'm from Tennessee. So I like country music. I like rap, hip-hop, everything.

I'm into "Breaking Bad" right now. And "Workaholics" as well.

"Superbad." Funniest movie ever made.

Best movie ever is "Shawshank Redemption."

Best advice I ever got? Do not live under the bed, meaning don't live scared. Don't change your lifestyle because you're scared to do something.

To me, the highest praise is when you get it from your peers, and they respect you. I think that comes along with being a great player. That, to me, is worth more than anything.

Grumpy after a loss? Absolutely. After a loss, I usually don't talk, maybe even more than a day. I try to go 24 hours and move on to the next game. But I'll still be pretty upset until we get the next win.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20562375/vikings-draft-pick-harrison-smith-talks-bob-sansevere?source=rss

and more...

Webmaster wrote:
GermanVike

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he won't be talking very much next season Very Happy
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superbad is a good movie, but the funniest ever made? Not really. Any of Mel Brooks' movies are far funnier than Superbad. My personal favorite is History of the World Part I. I'd also have to put Monty Python's movies ahead of it (Holy Grail, Life of Brian, and Meaning of Life especially).

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDZf55pb7Ic&feature=related

guy sure is a nice tackler.

at 1:25 in... he comes up in run support, is being blocked by a lineman, and while still being held on to gets one arm/hand on the ball carrier, brings him down, and forces a fumble.

Shocked

Webmaster wrote:
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There were a lot of cartoons I watched growing up. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were pretty big. I always wanted to be Raphael. I just liked his weapons. He had the little trident. I was into him.

C'mon! Everyone knows those are called SAI's and he had 2 of them. Confused
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a "Meet The Pick" video on Vikings.com for those of you not too upset with his horrible choice for funniest movie ever.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings have also wanted safety Harrison Smith to stay hungry and not simply walk in to a starting spot. He didn’t begin working with the first-team defense until this week, while Mistral Raymond and Jamarca Sanford manned the position. But they’re both late-round draft picks (Sanford went in the seventh in 2009 and Raymond in the sixth in 2011), and they both struggled to stop the run in last Friday’s preseason game at San Francisco in which the 49ers rushed for 260 yards.

So Smith has moved past Sanford on the depth chart

Smith: “My favorite part is kind of being able to be on the back end and the front end, just because safeties have the ability to drop down in the box or play deep. So you can kind of get the best of both worlds. Big hits and interceptions both serve their purposes. I think interceptions help the team the most, but big hits, they get everybody pumped up.”

Alan Williams: “I love that. You want your safeties to be quarterbacks and smart but you want some nastiness to them too, and he has that.”

Jared Allen: “I hope he’s really, really awesome. Because that gives me more time to hit the quarterback.”

http://min.scout.com/2/1211558.html

Webmaster wrote:
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

Jared Allen: “I hope he’s really, really awesome. Because that gives me more time to hit the quarterback.”

http://min.scout.com/2/1211558.html

This is the real selling point.
Improving the secondary, will improve Jared Allens play.
Then again if our defense gets off the feild quicker, he will get less opportunities to get sacks... dont think he will mind too much tho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Then again if our defense gets off the feild quicker, he will get less opportunities to get sacks... dont think he will mind too much tho

unless the D is getting off the field because Allen/Robison are getting sacks.

yummy!

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrison Smith inched toward the line of scrimmage until he stood across from a receiver in the slot on third-and-15. At the snap, Smith sprinted toward the Buffalo Bills backfield. He didn't have enough time to get his hands on quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, but he did the next best thing. He leaped and batted Fitzpatrick's pass down with both arms.

That singular play in the Vikings preseason home opener Friday night was significant because the Vikings coaching staff not only showed enough confidence in the rookie safety to send him on a blitz on third down, but more important, Smith made a play. A timely play that allowed the defense to get off the field.

Smith: "The coaches have kind of been saying, 'If we call your number on a blitz and you don't make a play, we're probably not going to send you again. When you hear that, you know it's time to make a play just so you can keep doing it."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/166617296.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: