Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Week 1 GDT: Houston Texans vs Carolina Panthers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
I would love to see Holiday get some time at WR or RB too. I remember last season he got some playing time during the preseason on offense. But I don't think it would be fair to cut Holiday because he can't play WR if we don't even let him play it in the preseason. It is also understandable as to why he wouldn't get reps at WR because we have so many young WRs who need to get those reps to gain experience who come as a bigger priority than Holiday. I for one would be perfectly fine keeping Holiday as a 6th WR if he continues to return kicks and punts like he did on Saturday. I also wish our offense was a little more aggressive in letting Holiday get the ball, I feel like other teams would definitely want to see what he could do on offense especially in the preseason. Why not try doing a toss to Holiday and seeing him try to get to the outside turning up field faster than a bullet or try a screen to him and maneuver his way up field. He is so quick and, for being a little guy, very hard to tackle.

Sorry, I'm just not in favor of sticking with a guy because he can return kicks. We have a bevy of guys that can return kicks as well as provide some type of value on offense or defense. That opens up a roster spot for a REAL development player, someone we want to keep an open spot for and develop at our own pace.

Holliday has had three years to prove himself as ANYTHING. This was the first time he took a KR to the house. Had he done anything remotely similar to that in the last two seasons, I would be more willing to cut him some slack, but he hasn't. With as long as he's been in the organization, he better of taken to the coaching and picked up some other skills, or he really has no value to us. Justin Forsett and Sherrick McManis can return kicks, and both can contribute outside of KR duties - Forsett seems to have the #3 RB position locked, and McManis at the very least serves as a gunner on KO and PC teams.

Holliday has NO other value to this team at present. I would love to see something from the guy that would point otherwise - just one catch where he makes someone miss and picks up an extra 3-5 yards is all I need to see. It's not much, but it shows me that all of the work that he's been through since being with the team has paid SOME dividends.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just watched Kubiak's press conference and him not getting any reps on offense is exactly the reason that I said. There aren't enough to go around because they need to give them to Posey, Martin, Jea, etc. He also said that his offense game has improved but he is having Holiday focus on mainly returns.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Kubiak-press-conference-/6398a877-ba6d-41e0-8314-b6cd5d0ff016
Quote:
(on incorporating WR Trindon Holliday into the offense more) “I don’t know if he played any offensively last night, but the biggest thing we’re going to do is we’re going to give him a chance to be our all-time returner. That’s what we’re trying to give him chance to do. Yes, he’s come a long way offensively as far as knowing what we’re doing. The thing he’s caught up in right now is my evaluation with him is going to be a big priority on special teams, because I’ve got the issue with all the other young receivers, trying to get (DeVier) Posey along, and (Keshawn) Martin along, and Lestar (Jean). We’ve got such a battle going on there from that standpoint. Reps are kind of at a premium right now so that was kind of on me.”

The bolded part makes it clear to me that if he keeps on returning well he will make the team.
Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="EliteTexan80"]

Quote:
Holliday has had three years to prove himself as ANYTHING. This was the first time he took a KR to the house. Had he done anything remotely similar to that in the last two seasons, I would be more willing to cut him some slack, but he hasn't.

He hasn't really been given the opportunity to showcase his skills that much in preseason so far besides week 4 of last season when he returned 3 kicks on avg for 26 yards and 3 punts for 7 yards while also catching 1 ball for 14 and running once for 2 yards. This year it seems that he is going to be given every chance to prove himself on returns and if he does he will make the team. So far he is off to a good start. Sure it would be nice to see him on offense I agree, but we don't have that luxury right now.

Quote:
Forsett seems to have the #3 RB position locked

On another note I wouldn't be so sure. Grimes and Megget played pretty well, if not better than Forsett and Kubiak said in the presser that they are all on equal grounds right now.

Quote:
(on the running backs competition) “I think there’s a great competition going on at three, four and five and all for our third spot. All those guys have shown good things and they’ve all shown that they’ll be able to help Joe (Marciano), so that kind of puts them all on equal footing as we move forward.

Quote:
Holliday has NO other value to this team at present. I would love to see something from the guy that would point otherwise - just one catch where he makes someone miss and picks up an extra 3-5 yards is all I need to see. It's not much, but it shows me that all of the work that he's been through since being with the team has paid SOME dividends.

The improvement is there offensively we just can't see it because in games they dont have the luxury of playing Holiday right now and in the past he has had one catch Laughing
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
I would love to see Holiday get some time at WR or RB too. I remember last season he got some playing time during the preseason on offense. But I don't think it would be fair to cut Holiday because he can't play WR if we don't even let him play it in the preseason. It is also understandable as to why he wouldn't get reps at WR because we have so many young WRs who need to get those reps to gain experience who come as a bigger priority than Holiday. I for one would be perfectly fine keeping Holiday as a 6th WR if he continues to return kicks and punts like he did on Saturday. I also wish our offense was a little more aggressive in letting Holiday get the ball, I feel like other teams would definitely want to see what he could do on offense especially in the preseason. Why not try doing a toss to Holiday and seeing him try to get to the outside turning up field faster than a bullet or try a screen to him and maneuver his way up field. He is so quick and, for being a little guy, very hard to tackle.

Sorry, I'm just not in favor of sticking with a guy because he can return kicks. We have a bevy of guys that can return kicks as well as provide some type of value on offense or defense. That opens up a roster spot for a REAL development player, someone we want to keep an open spot for and develop at our own pace.

Holliday has had three years to prove himself as ANYTHING. This was the first time he took a KR to the house. Had he done anything remotely similar to that in the last two seasons, I would be more willing to cut him some slack, but he hasn't. With as long as he's been in the organization, he better of taken to the coaching and picked up some other skills, or he really has no value to us. Justin Forsett and Sherrick McManis can return kicks, and both can contribute outside of KR duties - Forsett seems to have the #3 RB position locked, and McManis at the very least serves as a gunner on KO and PC teams.

Well to be fair he was kinda hurt his rookie season and was put on the IR during preseason, and last season he was on the practice squad. Based on Kubiak's comment during the game against the Panthers and Marciano's comment's I do agree with you in that he has to do more to make this team. If he takes one deep against the Niners it will really interesting. Even at LSU he wasn't used primarily as a WR, just as a returner. I'm actually rooting hard for him to make this team. He could be an instant fan favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Holliday continues to be a force at returning, then Im ok with having him as our all time returner, but he needs to break longs one, even if he doesnt score each week....
DWARE94BALLIN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

- We have THE best defense in the NFL. That's it. Nothing more to say. There is not a single weakness you can point at...save for ONE guy...

- Alan Ball. My oh my, is this guy bad. Dallas fans tried to warn us, but wow...you gotta see that level of suck firsthand to really understand how bad he is. We were quick to point out the resurgance of former Dallas CB Jacques Reeves when talking about Ball, and truth is - Ball IS like Reeves (A bigger, more chiseled Reeves, but Reeves nonetheless). He can hang with a WR, stick stride-for-stride with a guy...but he couldn't locate the ball if you painted it bright yellow with a soundbox attached to it that screams "ALAN BALL, THE PASS IS HEADED YOUR WAY! LOOK UP, SON! LOOK UP!" Ball has the same issues that Reeves had. Now, when your CB depth looked like Dunta Robinson and Fred Bennett, Jacko's skill was just that - a skill, one that was needed. Now, with one of the top three CBs in Jonathan Joseph, an ever improving Kareem Jackson (more on him later) and two young pups in Roc Carmichael and Brandon Harris (more on HIM later) and that skill is nothing more than a burden. If Ball makes this team, I am charging this to cronyism - courtesy of Wade Phillips.

Matts4313 wrote:
Step 1 - Sign Alan Ball

Step 2 - Cut Alan Ball

Step 3 - .......

PARTY

ET80 - Whats funny is you and Slam have an exchange here:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=13511944#13511944

Its awfully prophetic.
lol yep, this guy is terrible. How is Bradie James looking btw? Is he a lock to start/make the team?
NCAAF-Penn State

Throw Dez the Damn ball Club
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWARE94BALLIN wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

- We have THE best defense in the NFL. That's it. Nothing more to say. There is not a single weakness you can point at...save for ONE guy...

- Alan Ball. My oh my, is this guy bad. Dallas fans tried to warn us, but wow...you gotta see that level of suck firsthand to really understand how bad he is. We were quick to point out the resurgance of former Dallas CB Jacques Reeves when talking about Ball, and truth is - Ball IS like Reeves (A bigger, more chiseled Reeves, but Reeves nonetheless). He can hang with a WR, stick stride-for-stride with a guy...but he couldn't locate the ball if you painted it bright yellow with a soundbox attached to it that screams "ALAN BALL, THE PASS IS HEADED YOUR WAY! LOOK UP, SON! LOOK UP!" Ball has the same issues that Reeves had. Now, when your CB depth looked like Dunta Robinson and Fred Bennett, Jacko's skill was just that - a skill, one that was needed. Now, with one of the top three CBs in Jonathan Joseph, an ever improving Kareem Jackson (more on him later) and two young pups in Roc Carmichael and Brandon Harris (more on HIM later) and that skill is nothing more than a burden. If Ball makes this team, I am charging this to cronyism - courtesy of Wade Phillips.

Matts4313 wrote:
Step 1 - Sign Alan Ball

Step 2 - Cut Alan Ball

Step 3 - .......

PARTY

ET80 - Whats funny is you and Slam have an exchange here:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=13511944#13511944

Its awfully prophetic.
lol yep, this guy is terrible. How is Bradie James looking btw? Is he a lock to start/make the team?

I didn't get a good read on James in the 1st game since he didn't record a tackle. He only got an assist. I think he is a lock to start and definitely make the team. Coach Phillips made him the strongside ILB and made Cushing the weakside ILB so he can get easy access to plays. After we traded DeMeco Ryans the favorite to start was Darryl Sharpton, but he is hurt on the the PUP list, so James is going to be the starter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: