Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jonathan Stewart signs 5 year extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while i do like the idea of keeping double trouble around this is a lot for what amounts to a backup rb. we now have a lot invested in our rb core and this will probably strap us financially even more. i love signing our young guys but i don't dunno if this was more of a luxury

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
Zithers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stew takes more snaps than d-will... and d-will can be dropped in two seasons without much of a hit if he doesn't take a paycut as far as i know.

so we're basically assured of having the best backfield for the next two years along with our QB who might be the best in the game by the end of that second year.

sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look I like the idea of keeping Stewart and Williams, but I'm not quite sure we should tie up this much money on running backs. With Tolbert in the mix now, exactly how many carries will we have to spread around? It might have been better to try and trade one of them (preferably Williams in my opinion) for a solid defensive starter or even a decent number two WR. I understand that we like to build through the draft and not free agency, and I'm actually ok with that, but our defense and receiving corp needs more help.
Panthers11

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With most of the money in Williams' contract being in the first two years, I could see us trading him next offseason.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
atown703

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading DWill for a defensive playmaker could be in option but not until a couple more years when his cap hit won't be as high

PSN id - Kemikalmbalinsce
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about trading DWill is the fact that we probably will not get anything higher than a 4th based on his age. Yes, he has less miles than most RBs his age, but I can't see many GMs taking a trade for him knowing how RBs can decline overnight at times. Hopefully, we could get more, but realistically we are not going that high and a 4th would be pushing it.

The last time a RB was traded for was the Marshawn Lynch trade and he only went for a 4th and a 5th, he was only a few years into the league that point in time.

DWill will probably restructure after this year, as most Panthers do restructure after 2 years into their "pay day" contract in hopes of winning a Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
The thing about trading DWill is the fact that we probably will not get anything higher than a 4th based on his age. Yes, he has less miles than most RBs his age, but I can't see many GMs taking a trade for him knowing how RBs can decline overnight at times. Hopefully, we could get more, but realistically we are not going that high and a 4th would be pushing it.

I agree. It's a retroactive thing for me. I think it was a desperation signing at the time. Fox was on his way out, and the front office wanted to keep some stability, so they overpaid Williams to keep one of the Panthers few stars (who missed 10 games in 2010). Personally, I would have tried to get something for Williams and made Stewart the de facto RB of the future. But, we have both for what could be a while, and along with Tolbert will make things difficult for opposing defenses. The NFL is becoming a passing league. Maybe we can become an elite running team, a rarity in the league.
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyrev wrote:
boondock wrote:

I agree. It's a retroactive thing for me. I think it was a desperation signing at the time. Fox was on his way out, and the front office wanted to keep some stability, so they overpaid Williams to keep one of the Panthers few stars (who missed 10 games in 2010). Personally, I would have tried to get something for Williams and made Stewart the de facto RB of the future. But, we have both for what could be a while, and along with Tolbert will make things difficult for opposing defenses. The NFL is becoming a passing league. Maybe we can become an elite running team, a rarity in the league.

The missing of 10 games is something I don't really mark as a true injury for DWill. The team was sinking, he had a medium ankle sprain, therefore the team shut him down for the year rather than risking a serious injury while Jimmy Clausen proved or disproved himself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: