Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My impressions from our first preseason game by position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Withmy89vision

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: My impressions from our first preseason game by position Reply with quote

Finally got around to watching the game today, so by position I will note what I saw:

QB: Vick looks like he will probably be his inconsistent, injury prone self again this year. Good thing the runningbacks and Nick Foles looked great. I am legit surprised by Foles, I was disappointed we picked him actually. Kafka looked bad, and Edwards had good stats but those were misleading. He had happy feet, almost got picked off, and all he did was checkdown then his playmakers accomplished the hard work. For a number 3, no problem. But I really hope we don't have to come down to him or Kafka for a long stretch. I prefer Edwards over Kafka at this point though.

HB: McCoy didn't do much, but we want him to remain healthy so the least he does in preseason the better. All 3 backups look like legit NFL players, and I don't want to cut any of them. They all have different strengths and weaknesses. Lewis is shifty as hell, Polk is good as a blocker and receiver, and Brown is the most powerful runner. I hope we really keep all four.

FB: Did Havili play? I didn't see him at all. Emil is not worth keeping.

TE: Harbor didn't do anything receiving but looked very good blocking. He should honestly just be our fullback and a backup tight end. Chase Ford is a practice squad player. Brett Brackett looked decent receiving except the one drop, but not anything spectacular and his blocking was terrible. I would only keep Celek and Harbor, then try the waiver wire for a tight end. Brackett needs to put on some size. Hopefully we can get him on the practice squad but I wouldn't cry if we didn't.

WR: Depth is ridiculous here. Maclin, Jackson, and Avant are locks to make the team. I think Cooper will be healthy by week one, but he can't be put on PUP, I don't think the Eagles want to cut him, but I want to give some of these other guys a chance. At this point I would IR Cooper because of the depth we have, then develop Cooper for next year. McNutt didn't do anything receiving, but looked very good blocking and on special teams. He can easily replace what Cooper has done for us the last two seasons. Damaris Johnson is definitely making this team. Then Hamler and Gilyard both made cases for themselves. So Maclin/Jackson/Avant/Johnson/McNutt/Hamler/Gilyard is 7 guys. I think we will probably cut Hamler or Gilyard, probably Gilyard and hopefully IR Cooper. I would be upset if we kept Cooper and cut any of the 7 I mentioned.

Oline: The starting oline seemed to have a little trouble, but then again Pittsburgh is tough. Bell was average. We had some mis-communications and could have been better in run blocking. None of our backups stood out to me. This is an area of concern to me considering Vick. We should honestly just run the ball with a 4 man rotation and do a bunch of quick screens and checkdowns to Celek and our playmakers outside.

DE: Tapp had a sack, but still looked the worst of the guys I would not consider camp bodies. Phillip Hunt and Vinny Curry were the stars, and those two and Graham look like they can make a very good rotation for 5+ years after Cole and Babin leave. Ideally we would keep 6 DEs because we have the talent here for that and some of our guys are older.

DT: Thorton and Landri were the stars in both the run and pass game, getting plenty of penetration. Cox didn't do anything. Jenkins looked good at DE and DT until he got hurt. I don't like his injury-proneness so I would ideally keep 5 DTs or maybe have Patterson on the PUP in case Jenkins gets hurt before the deadline. Dixon looked okay, but he just isn't a starter. Landri and Jenkins should start, Thorton and Dixon backup, Cox as the developmental guy. If Patterson is healthy by the time PUP deadline is around, I would consider cutting Dixon to bring Patterson back unless Dixon really steps it up.

LB: Demeco and especially Kendricks looked very good. Kendricks was everywhere. Rolle made some boneheaded plays but then looked decent other times. Chaney was just invisible. Jordan actually looked okay as a backup, I still think we should keep him as a reserve. Casey Matthews actually looked pretty good. Still can't block shed, but he was very smart about where the play was developing and could get through the blockers before the play developed. Clayton still isn't impressing me.

CB: Asomugha, DRC, Hanson, Marsh, Boykin. Our depth chart is pretty much decided unless one of those guys gets seriously hurt. Then Lindley or Hughes would be next.

S: Jarrett was nowhere to be seen. Coleman was very inconsistent. Made some tackles, but also did not provide a physical presence and gave up a big play or two. Atogwe doesn't provide anything that we don't have, and he's past his prime. Phillip Thomas was the one bright spot.

K and LS are decided already

P: McBriar>Henry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Chaney didn't play Laughing

Other than that mishap I agree with your analysis

Birdwatch: Mychal Kendricks
TCK:10 TFL:1 SCK:0 INT:0 FF:0 FR:1
fly eagles fly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you about the quarterback situation. I'd like Edwards on the team purely because he has starting experience.

Disagree and agree with you on some spots with receivers. Yes, we have depth at receiver, but I still think this is the weakest position on our team. We have little to no size at the position and most of our receivers are poor route runners. I truly believe they are the cause of the inconsistencies of this offense. I also think Hall makes this team over McNutt, Hamler and Gilyard for sure.

I'm pretty sure Chaney didn't even play so that's probably why you didn't see him.

Jarrett looked horrible and was everywhere to be seen for that reason.
ianlewis16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarrett could definitely be seen, because he was the guy missing all the damn tackles.

i like your assessment overall, and completely agree with your analysis of the QB sitch, but I'm sure most people would.

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
ianlewis16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY DIDN'T WE DRAFT KELLEN MOORE

Blahman88 wrote:
I control the EBB.......except Ian, no body can control him
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianlewis16 wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/11/kellen-moore-does-not-look-like-an-nfl-quarterback/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: My impressions from our first preseason game by position Reply with quote

Withmy89vision wrote:

LB: Demeco and especially Kendricks looked very good. Kendricks was everywhere. Rolle made some boneheaded plays but then looked decent other times. Chaney was just invisible. Jordan actually looked okay as a backup, I still think we should keep him as a reserve. Casey Matthews actually looked pretty good. Still can't block shed, but he was very smart about where the play was developing and could get through the blockers before the play developed. Clayton still isn't impressing me.

That may be due to the fact that he didn't play...

I generally agree with most of your points, especially about the rbs, I too really wish we kept all 4 although that seems unlikely. If I had to pick between the 3 though I'd cut polk.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianlewis16 wrote:

....He sucks? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Kiltman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammertime52 wrote:
ianlewis16 wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/11/kellen-moore-does-not-look-like-an-nfl-quarterback/

I beg to differ....

Look how tight his...footwork...is, look at that thousand yard stare scanning the field, look at his Skeletor face...are you not afraid mortal?

Kellen Moore saves his black magic for real gamedays homie.. He's like Merlin, Dr. strange, and David Copperfield rolled into one when he steps on that field. I cry everytime I witness it, it's equal parts amazing as it is terrifying. If he would ever use his abilities for evil....surely it would be the death of us all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eagles defense definitely looks improved from last year. Depth should be much better. The ground game looks great.

The bad: the passing game is probably going to be inconsistent again, and the safeties are terrible. Those two things could really hold them back. If they hold it together, they look great. If not...8-8 season all over again
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vick looks like he will probably be his inconsistent, injury prone self again this year.

I'm not going to confirm or deny this prediction for Vick's 2012 season, but isn't it a little difficult to come to this conclusion when only seeing 6 or 7 snaps in the first preseason game? I know he banged his thumb on a helmet, but he didn't get a chance to prove much in that sample sized action.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Vicks play like that throughout the entire PreSeason, I'm worried, but until that happens, I'm still confident in him.

Edwards played against 3rd/4th strings, and beside his dumb INT Kafka was average (potential slightly above), Kafka, Vick and Foles are the three QB's.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianlewis16 wrote:

Because we drafted Slick Nick.
oland11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiltman wrote:
Hammertime52 wrote:
ianlewis16 wrote:

I beg to differ....

Look how tight his...footwork...is, look at that thousand yard stare scanning the field, look at his Skeletor face...are you not afraid mortal?

Kellen Moore saves his black magic for real gamedays homie.. He's like Merlin, Dr. strange, and David Copperfield rolled into one when he steps on that field. I cry everytime I witness it, it's equal parts amazing as it is terrifying. If he would ever use his abilities for evil....surely it would be the death of us all.

Sorry but im an immortal. Kellin Moore's sucky throwing arm doesn't scare me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: