Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason- Game 1: Rams vs. Colts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El ramster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Yesterday my Jaw dropped by how easy our Wrs were
Getting seperation. That is a great sign. Ive learn to view the small
things in pre-season. Sam looked poised and he has making his
quick reads. I wasn't really mad about the short throws. These where
Diff from the Pat Shurmer era. This offense looks to be designed
To bait the defense into short throws then ripping a long ball.
I deff didn't feel like Sam was in a leash. He has much more freedom.
Pead is exactly what we have been starving for. Quick shifty explosive
back. He's also such a natural catching the ball out the back field.
Phillip Rivers makes his money off those flat plays. I wish we would
Have seen more bootleg action. But i think we will at the end of the
pre season. The LBs are still a weakness in this defense..

But i like where we are headed. Also, Oline played pretty good IMO.
Also, Lunatic thoughts on Janotis?

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
MISTA314

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
I only watched the 1st half, because thats all I needed to. But those that are all screaming that the sky is falling, I thank you for the amusement. Apparently you all have forgotten this is the PRESEASON, and to take anything out of games as a whole is just foolish. Coaches, good ones at least, are calling plays to be able to see things about the players/units. Not to win.

Chuck Pagano pulled a Spags last night, trying to win a preseason game. Which when you think about it is so ridiculous; It doesnt count for anything, and you are pulling out your tricks already when you dont need to. When you watch what the Rams were doing it was so vanilla on both sides of the ball we clearly werent looking to win.

Offense
Breaking these dowm by individuals, because thats all you can do, Sam looked good, it seemed mostly to get him back out there, make sure he was getting comfortable in the pocket, and to show him that his ankle is just fine as long as he just plays his game. I didnt see a single thing that I had a worry about from Sam, sorry he only stayed in for 2 series and wasnt trying to be an All-Pro in a preseason game.

The running game wasnt a good as it should be, but there were alot of factors aiding that. Steven looked like Steven, but a leaner shiftier one to me. I noticed this in TC, he looks leaner, and to be wearing smaller pads. I wouldnt expect as much bruising running as he used to do, and I like that. He still can, and likely will when needed, but to prolong his career he will likely become a slightly different type of back. (which is what the league has moved to anyway) I actually loved what I saw from Isaiah Pead. Guy has some go, showed some great vision, and his wiggle is obvious. He was just playing outside himself, which is completely normal for a rookie. I guess some expected him to walk in and be Chris Johnson.

The offensive line was a mess, but they werent terrible. Big difference in those two things. They werent playing as a unit which is what causes all the missed assignments and wrong double teams. But as they go individually, they didnt play too bad. Saffold handled his side of the line, like we know he can. Nothing spectacular, just workman like and you dont hear from him. Ojinaka may be able to pass block, but he sure cant Run block, guy was not good looking out there, just seemed overmatched by the DTs, which is why he is a OT not a Guard, this experiment is likely short lived. Robert Turner whiffed multiple times and was on his hands and knees after alot of plays, that is why he is a backup but I wouldnt be shocked to see someone like Tim Barnes, who seemed to have control over the line calls, to beat him out as the backup Center. Harvey Dahl is still a monster, I love just about everything this guy does.There were multiple times you could visibly see his frustration with Barry Richardson to his right, who was just Awful, there was absolutely nothing redeeming about his performance yesterday, probably the only one I watched that I can say that about. Ive gone over Jason Smith's day many times already, Ill just sum it up as this; Same old Stuff-Athletic freak, scary mauling run blocker, but technically unsound and not up to speed on the understanding/communication side. He needs to be the starting RT tho, we dont have a better option, and maybe more time to be with Dahl/Wells will help him out a bit and cover up some of his blemishes. Rok Watckins was very much like Smith, but as a guard you can get away with it. Great mauler inside, but not a great pass blocker. He handled his man just fine, but when they would stunt he was having trouble picking it up. When they had Smith/Rok leading the run it was devastating (for them, not us just to make that clear)

The receivers showed me alot, and with only 2 series with Sam under center its hard to take anything they do with Clemens as useful information. Steve Smith is looking like his old self, I still think he is the #1 WR on this squad for the entire year. Amendola is still the slot magician, and looks ready to roll again (contract year, probably going to make some money this year) Was surprised to see Pettis getting work with the 1s, especially after all the love Greg Salas got so far. And where was he in this game? Givens has got some SPEED, like legit, take the top off speed. He is going to be a deadly weapon for same, even as a decoy for those Safeties to stay honest. Brian Quicks length is going to be real nice, guy just snatches the ball too, also a damn good run blocker outside. Lance is back to his old tricks, lets hope he figures out how to carry it over to when it actually counts

Defense
That screen pass everyone was pretty much doin their own thing. Bad play all around, but those are bound to happen, they were clearly over zelous to be other there and trying to hit someone. The D-line looked good. Brockers and Langford are the real deal at DT, both were blowing up the middle of the line and collapsing the pocket. Chris Long was there just about every pass play again, and actually looked to be anchoring and playing run first, then making his move to the QB, good progress. Quinn's speed off the edge is deadly, we just need him not to over do it every down and keep contain, when we do let him loose tho, we need that Backer staying home to be the contain man.

The LBs were so-so, nothing great, but I did notice that we need them to be speedy this year. Laurinaitis is the leader/QB ofthe D clearly, but I hope they switch up the outside guys and go with Dunbar & McIntosh. Let Jo-Lonn be the Sam even though he is a bit undersized, speed is the new game for LBs.

Janoris is going ot b damn good, Finnegan just needs to be himslef, dont try and do too much. My Boy! Jerome Murphy! Dude was killin it at Safety, right up there around the ball the whole time, sticking his nose in the line. I said it 2 years ago, I think his future is at FS. Speaking of our Free Safeties, Craig Dahl is bad, he needs to go now. Mikell seemed slow to me, he doesnt seem comfortable with the Cover 2 elements, pretty much the same deficiencies that Dahl has, with more natural talent. Wouldnt be shocked to see alot of Stewart/Murphy as the Safety combo this year.

Greg Zuerlein is a nice addition, and I was pleasantly surprised with Hekkers leg as well.

Great write up brotha. Agree with most everything you said. I was most impressed with the D-line and off course MY BOY Jenkins! That kid has freakish athleticism and quickness at the CB position. It was funny to hear Marshall go on and on how fast Jenkins break on the ball was, even after a Luck completion Laughing . I too was glad to see my man J Murphy laying the wood out there at safety. I believe he will definately knock challenge Mikell for a starting spot. I also though Trumaine Johnson had a very good showing in the 2nd half. He was everywhere.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
And yea, I made the same comment. Pagano is a rookie coach, he's treating the preseason like Spags did. Fisher treats it like Dungy did. He doesn't care if he wins. It's not about results, it's about evaluating players and individual match-ups.
Yea I couldnt remember who said it, should have known it was you oh wise sage.

Its so obvious to us know, but I think that is mostly due to having gone through the other side. Having gotten excited about an "impressive" preseason game when you are looking for some hope.

But now that we have a HC that knows what he is doing, and doesnt have to prove himself as early as possible, He could care less what fans & talking heads say about the result of the first preseason game.

Next week all I am really looking for is to clean some stuff up. Less penalties & missed assignments. more cohesion with the units (OL, DL, LBs & Secondary) and hope that the games starts to slow down for some of the younger guys. Dont need it, but would like to see atleast once Schotty let Sam rip one deep to Givens or Salas, would be comforting to see.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MISTA314 wrote:
Great write up brotha. Agree with most everything you said. I was most impressed with the D-line and off course MY BOY Jenkins! That kid has freakish athleticism and quickness at the CB position. It was funny to hear Marshall go on and on how fast Jenkins break on the ball was, even after a Luck completion Laughing . I too was glad to see my man J Murphy laying the wood out there at safety. I believe he will definately knock challenge Mikell for a starting spot. I also though Trumaine Johnson had a very good showing in the 2nd half. He was everywhere.
HaHa, yea that was great. Marshall was just astonished, So was I. Because a good about of the time Janoris is atleast going to ge a hand on that ball to knock it down, and when he does make that pick, with his speed on the sideline, its gonna be 6.

Great to hear about Trumaine, like I said I didnt watch the 2nd half. Im really excited about all the talent on the defensive side of the ball. We also seem to have the veterans in all the right places. Might have some growing pains early on, but I think by about week 6 this D is going to start taking over games.
El ramster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
And yea, I made the same comment. Pagano is a rookie coach, he's treating the preseason like Spags did. Fisher treats it like Dungy did. He doesn't care if he wins. It's not about results, it's about evaluating players and individual match-ups.
Yea I couldnt remember who said it, should have known it was you oh wise sage.

Its so obvious to us know, but I think that is mostly due to having gone through the other side. Having gotten excited about an "impressive" preseason game when you are looking for some hope.

But now that we have a HC that knows what he is doing, and doesnt have to prove himself as early as possible, He could care less what fans & talking heads say about the result of the first preseason game.

Next week all I am really looking for is to clean some stuff up. Less penalties & missed assignments. more cohesion with the units (OL, DL, LBs & Secondary) and hope that the games starts to slow down for some of the younger guys. Dont need it, but would like to see atleast once Schotty let Sam rip one deep to Givens or Salas, would be comforting to see.

I said something similar Crying or Very sad

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
mash3rramfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest takeaway from the defense (asides that horrible screen play) was that its a very talented group with a lot of that talent being young. All of the rookies looked good but they all seemed to have a lot of first game jitters. They were all playing at 100% speed they need to slow the game down and read the offense. I feel if Jenkins slowed up a quick second he picks that ball off and he scores.

The offense looked good, yes Bradford is playing Shurmurball but if he relies on this short passes all year long teams with load the box we need to open up the defense more. Aside from that he looked poised and sharp. SJAX looked like SJAX. Pead could be a huge asset if he can hold on to the football. Steve Smith was getting open and making plays he can be a huge addition. Quick and Givens looked good and if they can mature quickly this preseason they could be huge pieces. Kendricks looked good as well. The O-Line just needs to protect Sam better.

This team has a lot of potential I just want to see them gel and we can be a very solid team. The score doesnt matter to me in the preseason but the way we play the game does.

Rams. Oregon Ducks. Dodgers. Brewers. Lakers. Arsenal
Jonezy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see trumanie blow some cats helmet off? Damn.

Did Murphy play some safety? Very happy with him yeaterday

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not alot to add to the previous write ups. I felt positive about a few plays by several different players, but the 3rd pre-season game is the one I will pay the most attention to.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and that red zone sack that Smith allowed was because he wasn't ready at the snap, not because the Colt's D-lineman was offsides (like the broadcast suggested).

Perhaps Smith had the snap count wrong or just wasn't paying attention, but that wasn't a jump IMO.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
mash3rramfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
Not alot to add to the previous write ups. I felt positive about a few plays by several different players, but the 3rd pre-season game is the one I will pay the most attention to.

the 3rd and 4th is when we get to see who will probably start and see if this team gels the way they are supposed to

Rams. Oregon Ducks. Dodgers. Brewers. Lakers. Arsenal
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
Yep, that 1st half with the starters and key reserves, with some semblance of a game plan in place. That is the first time we can start to take away some overall trends/thoughts about this team for 2012.
MISTA314

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonezy wrote:
Anyone see trumanie blow some cats helmet off? Damn.

Did Murphy play some safety? Very happy with him yeaterday

Yeah i really liked what i saw out of him! Actually aside from Dahl all the secondary looked pretty nice to me. Just slightly over aggressive which is to be expected in your 1st preseason game. But I think Fischer will be very happy with his depth in the secondary.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Oline played pretty good IMO.

What? Barry Richardson and Robert Turner were awful. It was basically Harvey Dahl vs. on the right side.

At least Ojinnaka held his own.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
tim199009

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anybody see fletcher play? im not sure if he did
chris00cm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim199009 wrote:
did anybody see fletcher play? im not sure if he did
No he didn't dress.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: