Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who will be the first Texans hall of Famer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Who will be the first Texans hall of Famer? Reply with quote

Slow football week, so just an interesting topic that deals with distant future

Who will be the first Texans player in the HOF. I'm not talking about a HOF player who just spent a few years here but a guy who will be remembered as a Texan.

Obvious pick would be Andre Johnson, if he plays at a high level for 4-5 more seasons he will have The stats to be considered, but will need a ring or two

Matt Schaub will be no where close unless we win 2 rings or
1 ring and he has 4-6 4500 yard seasons

Arian Foster would have to play at his 1200-1500 yard level for another 6 years to get any love

JJ Watt or a young guy on D could become a yearly DPOY guy

HOF is a hard place to get and often times it takes a ring or two
Unless someone puts up record breaking stats

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Pastor Dillon on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre Johnson will be our first hall of famer IMO. His only knack is that he doesn't have a 10 yard touchdown season to his name, but he has been at the top at his position for the past several years.

Arian Foster will be our 2nd HOF if he continues the pace he is going moving forward to his career.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love Andre, favorite player in the league by far, I doubt he'll get in. He's severely lacking in the touchdown department and he doesn't have the playoff success to cancel it out a la Michael Irvin. He definitely is a HOF talent but those early years with David Carr and Sage Rosenfels really hurt him not to mention this injury plagued year which could possibly have been the final year of his prime.
jargin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw the numbers out with Dre. When they bring up the list of candidates for the hall of fame they will say that Dre was one of the best receivers to ever set foot on an NFL field. However, if he gets hurt again then his legacy might become one of the "greatest ever who couldn't stay healthy" and I know I don't want that to happen so I'm hoping Dre plays 16+ games next year and plays in his first Super Bowl.

Dre is the only guy worth talking about in this thread really. Watt is in his 2nd year, Arian would need another 2 or 3 straight years of similar or better production and a ring to warrant him a HOF spot or consideration. This is really all about Dre.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre has a legit chance to break the 15000 yard mark if he can stay on the field for another 5 seasons
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next 4 seasons will determine his HOF destiny with whatever comes after simply padding stat totals. AJ already passes the litmus test of "dominant, transcendent, talent" based upon being named an All-Pro 4x (far more important than pro bowl as it means you were one of the 2 best players in the game at your position). HOFers like Steve Largent, James Lofton, Charlie Joiner, and Irvin were only All-Pro Once. HOF worthy stats for WRs are going to have undergo a considerable adjustment with the proliferation of pass happy offenses where 80-100 Recs per season describes 1/2 of the #1 WRs out there, not just the extraordinary. Statistically, in this era, I think AJ needs to finish top 10 in multiple categories including Recs (currently #34), Yards (currently #39), and close TD's gap (currently #91). While I think Super Bowl rings obviously help his candidacy, they aren't required for WRs like they are for QBs.

My biggest concern is the presence of some names from the current era considerably ahead of him. Of particular concern will be how Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne are handled as I don't see AJ catching either of them in any statistically category and if they aren't in, it will be tough to justify AJ especially if the Texans don't have a run atop our division for several years. Reception totals are AJ's most impressive stat and quite frankly, this is not a stat hall voters care much about considering only 2 of the top 20 are in the hall (Rice & Monk although Tim Brown and Cris Carter should make it in the next 2 years and Tony Gonzalez is first ballot).

Yards is the area where AJ needs to continue to climb as right now he only has 5 1,000 yard seasons and 1,200 yards seasons really should be the hall standard for this era (he only has 3). This is where I think he needs to pass a guy like Torry Holt who I don't think did enough for the Hall and that is still 4 930 yard seasons away. AJ can't be in the vicinity of pedestrian guys like Jimmy Smith and Muhsin Muhammad, Rod Smith, and Keenan McCardell or even Hines Ward and Derrick Mason who I think are stretches for the hall. Tony Gonzalez, Reggie Wayne, and Steve Smith are all likely to push those top 10 #'s even higher before they are done and Larry Fitzgerald will almost certainly be ahead of him considering he is only 40 yards behind him now and 2 years younger. I think there is some danger of Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson being looked at as the two dominant WRs of this era if AJ continues to fade and he definitely needs some separation from Owens and Moss who will almost certainly go in eventually, but I don't think either will go in on the first ballot. Isaac Bruce is another difficult one for hall voters as he has the stats but not the cred, while Andre Reed sits just outside with his QB & RB already in. One nice stat in AJ's favor right now is that he is currently #1 all-time in Receiving Yards per game at 79.1 although that will likely drop somewhat with longevity.

AJ has a ton going in his favor, but what seemed like a given two seasons ago now requires at least 2 more special seasons plus some late career stat padding, for the team to live up to expectations with him leading the charge, and for him to not follow up a sub 500 yard season with anything less than another 1,200 yard season that makes last year just the biggest blip of his 3 other injury blip seasons rather than creating a common thread where the team couldn't get to the next level because he came up lame in multiple critical seasons throughout his career. I think next to Larry Fitzgerald, he has the easiest path to the hall at WR of any active WR, but we need to acknowledge just how tough it is to get in considering Tim Brown and Cris Carter are still knocking on the door.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
texansfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will vote for JJ Watt. His rookie season shows what kind of transcendant talent he can be. I think he will be a multiple-time All-Pro and will have a lengthy career.

As Apollo pointed out, it is going to be tough for Andre to make the hall without a few more big seasons. At his age and with his injury history, that may be tough.
kenney

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Andre Johnson is the first. He may not be a first-ballot guy, but he was the best WR in the league for the better part of a decade. Even though his touchdown deficit is tough to ignore, I think he'll make it anyhow.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i decided to see just how close Andre really is to being in the actual NFL record books....we all know there was a 4 year period where he was the best WR in football, but where does he currently stand all time and what can he realistically do?

1. Seasons with 50 or more receptions

2nd place is at 13....Andre has 8, so i would safely assume he will finish tied for 2nd place (jerry rice is 1st with 17, but i doubt andre has another 9 years in him)

2. Career receptions

2nd place all time is at 1102 (3rd is 1101). Andre currently sits at 706, which puts him 396 receptions out right now.....that would be 4 monster seasons but over 6 seasons its only an average of 66 a year. 6 years at that production might be a little too much to ask for, but 2-3 seasons around 100 is possible

3. Most seasons leading the League

He has already lead the league twice and 3rd place all time is only 3 so this is a very doable thing, even this season, he is already 3rd in NFL history for consecutive seasons at 2

If Andre went on a run of 1,000 seasons and say had 4 straight he would most defiantly make the history books....and then there is always single game and single season records he has a 3 year window to break.

This could be a BIG year for Johnson, we have a dynamic running game, a QB who is top 5 at running the play action and no one else to throw the ball to Smile
green24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre Johnson. JJ Watt will join him eventually.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: