You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL players in 100 m dash
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
American football is greater than anything in the World and our athletes could win every category including swimming and gymnastics, anymore questions?
I still LOL when I think of Chad Johnson saying he could beat Michael Phelps.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willy_law wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:
Sam Shields and Chris Johnson are the fastest players in the NFL I'd have to believe Sam Shields would fare better since he is much leaner and the body he has is like a sprinter.

Sam Shields ran a 10.82 100m I've read, Jacoby Ford ran a 10.01...

Maybe so, but how is your post relevant? A 10.01 is going to look like a snail at the Olympics.

A 10.01 would've landed someone in the finals at the 2008 olympics, so I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about.

dude a 10.01 wouldn't have qualified them in the first place if they were from a major country. That final was comprised of people who did not run their best times.

Out of the 8 racers in that final, five people set personal bests, one a national record, and one a world record.

The ignorance about this is amazing me. Does anyone actually check the results of what they're talking about, or are you guys just assuming everything with the numbers?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
willy_law wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:
Sam Shields and Chris Johnson are the fastest players in the NFL I'd have to believe Sam Shields would fare better since he is much leaner and the body he has is like a sprinter.

Maybe so, but how is your post relevant? A 10.01 is going to look like a snail at the Olympics.

A 10.01 would've landed someone in the finals at the 2008 olympics, so I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about.

dude a 10.01 wouldn't have qualified them in the first place if they were from a major country. That final was comprised of people who did not run their best times.

Out of the 8 racers in that final, five people set personal bests, one a national record, and one a world record.

The ignorance about this is amazing me. Does anyone actually check the results of what they're talking about, or are you guys just assuming everything with the numbers?

Do you realize that there are dozen of people on Earth who can run a sub 10.00 100 meter dash?
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
willy_law wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:

Do you realize that there are dozen of people on Earth who can run a sub 10.00 100 meter dash?

Maybe. Though just because they can, doesn't mean they consistently do. That's why a 10.01 would still be a reasonable time at the Olympics (not, "like a snail", just to remind you what I'm arguing against.)

Though actually, "dozens" is probably stretching it. Only 82 people have ever been recorded running a sub-10.00 100 meter dash. Only about 45 in the past decade, some of them have barely done it, and some of them obviously wouldn't necessarily be able to now. And still, even if, say, 15 people ran sub 10.00s at the olympics (didn't happen last time, but let's just say it), most of them would do it in the 9.90-10.00 range, barely ahead of a 10.00, while a 10.01 is barely behind a 10.00. Barely a difference.

And just to highlight how your argument works, did you know that no one but Jacoby Ford has ever run a sub 10.10 100 meter dash? Just because you say something, doesn't make it true, and if you say something, and then ignore the facts that contradict it, that makes it clearly false.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the NFL players who are in the top 1-2% in the league in speed could have qualified for the olympics in sprinting or some other T&F event if they spent years of their physical primes on the training and nutrition regimens needed to improve sprinting times rather than the the regimens needed to play in the NFL at a high level. Usain Bolt doesn't have to be able to endure being tackled by 200-300lb men 100 times a year.

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy Moss was built to sprint. I don't think he would've ran Bolt fast, but who knows. With proper training he may have been exceptional

#1 ET Supporter
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogfeet wrote:
I think they can beat bolt for the first 40-50 but he would definitely kill them the last 50.

This. Bolt is actually not all that fast off the start line. His last 40-60 is crazy.

There was talk of teams interested in him after 2008. It never would of worked because you need that speed from a standing start and change of direction that he would not have.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
Dogfeet wrote:
I think they can beat bolt for the first 40-50 but he would definitely kill them the last 50.

This. Bolt is actually not all that fast off the start line. His last 40-60 is crazy.

There was talk of teams interested in him after 2008. It never would of worked because you need that speed from a standing start and change of direction that he would not have.

Bolt would shatter Chris Johnson record 40 time.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ2K or DeSean.

Kiltman on the sig
Strawman Theory

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Antonio Cromartie's 109 yard return timed at something like 12.95? I think he'd be really fast, considering his stride.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawman Theory wrote:
Wasn't Antonio Cromartie's 109 yard return timed at something like 12.95? I think he'd be really fast, considering his stride.

I don't even think he'd be the fastest on his own team (Stephen Hill).

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
I'm sure the NFL players who are in the top 1-2% in the league in speed could have qualified for the olympics in sprinting or some other T&F event if they spent years of their physical primes on the training and nutrition regimens needed to improve sprinting times rather than the the regimens needed to play in the NFL at a high level. Usain Bolt doesn't have to be able to endure being tackled by 200-300lb men 100 times a year.

Donald Driver is one of the most decorated track athletes in the NFL (he is an Olympic class high jumper, being able to jump 7 feet 6 inches and could have qualified for the 2000 Summer Olympics team).
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawman Theory wrote:

And considering he was wearing pads.
willy_law

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
willy_law wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/olympics/2008/results/at/mens-athletics-100m.htm?result=s26733

I see all those times but what I am saying. is if they ran a 10.01 to qualify for the US olympic team they wouldn't have even qualified in the first place.

don't talk to me about track trust me I live and breathe the sport. I am NOT saying that with hardwork and training Jacoby Ford or Jamal Charles could not run a 9.8 or 9.7 In fact I even Say that in an earlier post.

willy_law wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
Dogfeet wrote:
Justin Gatlin only managed a 4.42 in the 40, he won gold in the 100m in 2004 at 9.85.

Yes, but that is including reaction time. NFL combine times start when the player starts. If I'm not mistaken.
Yeah... But Gatlin ran that time when he tried out for the Texans.

I think he was referring to the fact the 9.85 could have been better if it was on his own time.
No NFL player would come close to Bolt or Yohan Blake or Gay at all. Jacoby Ford ran 10.01.. One would think with 2 years of training he could get that down to the 9.9's or high 9.8's which would have just qualified him

Gatlin ran 9.8
Gay ran 9.86
Ryan Bailey 9.93

There is my post. I admit that with training they could shave their time and qualify but the question is Who do you think would perform well in this event of the Olympics? Is there anyone you think would have a chance of getting under 10? And anyone you think would be able to beat Usain?

We are talking about them as NFL players not about them if they decided to do track...if they had chose track they wouldn't be in the NFL and of course their time would be better.

So before you call me ignorant make sure you fully understand the question.

Good Day, Sir.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:

Bolt would shatter Chris Johnson record 40 time.

Bolt's 9.58 100m was 4.64s at 40m. That roughly translates to a 4.28 40 yd dash.

And, as noted above, this includes reaction time, which is going to be something like 0.1s, so Bolt at an NFL combine, would be looking at a sub-4.2 forty.

Edit: found Bolt's reaction time on the same run-- 0.146 -- so he effectively ran a 4.14 (possibly 4.13) forty in that race.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: