You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL players in 100 m dash
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supersuavesky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexM23 wrote:
Would any American Footballers beat the fastest man in history? It's a pretty obnoxious question don't you think?
It's an extremely dumb question. But we also get your intense hatred for any question of this sort I can understand your point.

That being said the fail in this topic is two fold.

No one in the NFL would beat Bolt. No one. No matter how hard they train.

But to say they couldn't beat anyone? Laughable.

The first thing to note are the differences in training style. Olympians train for years on just shaving seconds off their time. That also includes following a special diet and having the right muscle build....

That being said football players have vastly different training techniques and body styles. And as such have been training all their lives to reach their own physical goals.

If Tridon Holiday, Jeff Demps, Jacoby Ford, and Marvin Bracy trained solely to run in the olympics for 4 years I have an impossible time believing that none of the would at least qualify.

And on the same note there is no way in the world that Usani Bolt would up as the starting WR for a 16+ game season in the NFL as it stands.

At least George will leave Indy soon.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:
Sam Shields and Chris Johnson are the fastest players in the NFL I'd have to believe Sam Shields would fare better since he is much leaner and the body he has is like a sprinter.

Sam Shields ran a 10.82 100m I've read, Jacoby Ford ran a 10.01...

Maybe so, but how is your post relevant? A 10.01 is going to look like a snail at the Olympics.

It's relevant because he said shields is the fastest player in the NFL, which he isn't....
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Jamaal Charles I think used to run track.

It's a good bet most WRs, and RBs ran track at least in HS.

true, it is not a good bet that most are Big XII champions in the 100 like JC was.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Fired-Up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:
Sam Shields and Chris Johnson are the fastest players in the NFL I'd have to believe Sam Shields would fare better since he is much leaner and the body he has is like a sprinter.

Maybe so, but how is your post relevant? A 10.01 is going to look like a snail at the Olympics.

A 10.01 would've landed someone in the finals at the 2008 olympics, so I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about.

So? Guys don't even go all out in the semi's. I can guarantee you that anything over 10 seconds is non competetive. We have guys running in the 9.8's at will.

You really think guys aren't going all out in what could be the second most important race of the year for them (if not the most)?

It would've also beaten two racers in the finals. The guy in 6th in the finals only ran a 9.98, and that was a personal best for him. Going back as recent as 2000, a 10.01 would've MEDALED. Right now, that's a low end finals time, and only getting outran by 6 guys in the olympics is not "like a snail."

EDIT: Only two guys in 08 made a sub-9.9 (one of them being a 9.89), and you're saying guys can run in the 9.8s at will? Wow. Come on, you were wrong, it's fine, just admit it, and we'll move on.

No because people keep getting faster and faster and faster. Did you know the 3 fastest men in history will be running at the 2012 Olympics. Bolt has run a 9.58. Gay has run a 9.69. Powell has run in the low 9.7. Even this new guy from Jamaica can run a 9.7. Did you know that in 1940, a 10.3 was blazing? Times change man. People get faster.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:

It's relevant because he said shields is the fastest player in the NFL, which he isn't....

I said Shields and Johnson.

http://www.gridironstuds.com/blog/the-fastest-40-yard-dash-ever/

Not that many places to compare 40 yard dashes but this one says he is up there. If you run that fast it's pretty much splitting hairs in the difference of their speed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think much of him, but DHB probably could've qualified for the 100m dash if he focused 100 percent of his training on it. He has that mid sized body type, and elite top end speed ideal for 100m-400m running events.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:

A 10.01 would've landed someone in the finals at the 2008 olympics, so I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about.

So? Guys don't even go all out in the semi's. I can guarantee you that anything over 10 seconds is non competetive. We have guys running in the 9.8's at will.

You really think guys aren't going all out in what could be the second most important race of the year for them (if not the most)?

It would've also beaten two racers in the finals. The guy in 6th in the finals only ran a 9.98, and that was a personal best for him. Going back as recent as 2000, a 10.01 would've MEDALED. Right now, that's a low end finals time, and only getting outran by 6 guys in the olympics is not "like a snail."

EDIT: Only two guys in 08 made a sub-9.9 (one of them being a 9.89), and you're saying guys can run in the 9.8s at will? Wow. Come on, you were wrong, it's fine, just admit it, and we'll move on.

No because people keep getting faster and faster and faster. Did you know the 3 fastest men in history will be running at the 2012 Olympics. Bolt has run a 9.58. Gay has run a 9.69. Powell has run in the low 9.7. Even this new guy from Jamaica can run a 9.7. Did you know that in 1940, a 10.3 was blazing? Times change man. People get faster.

Obviously, yes, but you continue to talk about times that remain only common in the top 2 or 3 as though they're the norm for all racers in the olympics. I know the top few guys are that fast, but most everyone else in the final is still going to be running in the 9.9s. 4 years isn't going to chop off a full tenth of a second for everybody in the finals, and your statement that a 10.01 would look like a snail is still incredibly unjustified, and you have yet to prove that. Keep in mind, Bolt already did get a 9.69 at the 08 Olympics. That's great and all, but that isn't the norm, considering he beat everyone else by a full two tenths of a second.

And don't pass this off as something that is going to change. The time you quote for Gay, for instance, is from the 2008 olympic trials, but the guy still didn't run a sub-10 at the real deal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:

dude a 10.01 wouldn't have qualified them in the first place if they were from a major country. That final was comprised of people who did not run their best times.
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: NFL players in 100 m dash Reply with quote

bigboi wrote:
Who do you think would perform well in this event of the Olympics? Is there anyone you think would have a chance of getting under 10? And anyone you think would be able to beat Usain?

Only 82 sprinters in history have run an officially timed sub-10 100 metres. There probably aren't more than a dozen capable of accomplishing the feat right now.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacoby Ford, DHB and DeMarcus Van Dyke are 3 players on the Raiders with 4.2 speed that look like they´d have a career in track if they weren´t playing football.

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willy_law wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:

dude a 10.01 wouldn't have qualified them in the first place if they were from a major country. That final was comprised of people who did not run their best times.
Jacoby Ford has always been a football player who ran track.

Give him 4 years to train as purely a 100/200 sprinter, and I'm sure his time would drop noticeably.

#1 ET Supporter
willy_law

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
willy_law wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Mattwaukee wrote:

Jacoby Ford has always been a football player who ran track.

Give him 4 years to train as purely a 100/200 sprinter, and I'm sure his time would drop noticeably.

I am aware, in one of my early posts I say that.
FuhZee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure Jamaal Charles almost made the Olympic Squad his freshman or sophomore year at Texas, then gave up track to focus only on football. He had a 10.18 100 time.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American football is greater than anything in the World and our athletes could win every category including swimming and gymnastics, anymore questions?
skrILL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
American football is greater than anything in the World and our athletes could win every category including swimming and gymnastics, anymore questions?

This.

But seriously, there are a handful of guys in the NFL that, if dedicated, could have a career in T&F. Remember these guys train differently than Olympic sprinters do. Get these NFL players off muscle-building workout routines and have them train like an Olympic sprinter and see how their bodies and times change. Whoever says a 10.01 is snail-time clearly has no idea what they are saying.

Some guys that I think would have some margin of success as a sprinter: Jacoby Ford, DHB, DeMarcus Van Dyke, Jamaal Charles, CJ2K, Mike Wallace, TJ Graham, Ted Ginn, CJ Spiller, Trindon Holliday, Antonio Cromartie, and I'm definitely missing a ton more.

N E W Y O R K J E T S

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: