Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ryan Clady, Broncos now negotiating a long term deal!! :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdevine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Well, I like Ryan, so for his sake I hope he never has to look back at this as the most incredibly stupid thing he's ever done.

Thats quite a roll of the dice. Lifetime financial security in exchange for the "possibility" that next year he "may" be able to get a better deal. I'd really have to question the advice he's getting. Rolling Eyes

True.

It appears that for this contract, the Broncos have the stronger negotiating position.

Now instead of getting $10M/year, Clady will get $3.5M in 2012 and might get a franchise tag at $9.5M in 2013. That's $13M (current + tag) vs $20M (new contract).

All for the hope of a contract that would pay $11M/year. Many unforeseen events can happen in two years: injuries, trades, or the chance that the team offers a 4-year contract next year.
mke1010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos are in a position where they did not see the need to up their offer. If Clady has a great year, they can up their offer by 6.5 million next year- the amount they saved this year by not re-signing him and having him play under his present contract.
Even if they eventually have to up it by 10 million, they could offer 4 years instead of 5 and still have the guaranteed money be closer to what they offered this year.

Either way, I think Clady should have tried harder to compromise and work out a deal. Manning got a 100 million dollar contract. Yes, he is probably the greatest regular season QB ever but he is coming off 4 surgeries on his neck and there are questions as to his long term durability. So, if Peyton can get such a lucrative contract with all his issues, why shouldn't I be a top 3 paid left tackle? After all, I am only 25 years old, been to two pro bowls and just getting in to the prime of my career. This is probably his agent's position.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the hangup had to do with guaranteed cash. $28 mil didn't cut it.
He wanted something more along the lines of Joe Thomas' $37 mil. Oh well.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/07/31/source-clady-hang-guarantee-3-years/14564/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Ryan Clady rejected both a $50 million offer and the chance to talk about it.
Contracts talks over. We will have to franchise him if we want to keep him.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8216416/ryan-clady-denver-broncos-end-contract-extension-talks

Jeez. How the hell do you turn down $50 million to guard one of the best QB's in NFL history?! So what if Joe Thomas makes more guaranteed money? His team SUCKS. You would think that with as much money as these guys already make anyways, that they would at least care a LITTLE about winning too.

"Derrr, I'm gonna turn down a chance to win a Superbowl in the next few years and pocket $28 mil, because that's not as much money as Joe Thomas makes."

What a pud.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1234567 wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
Ryan Clady rejected both a $50 million offer and the chance to talk about it.
Contracts talks over. We will have to franchise him if we want to keep him.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8216416/ryan-clady-denver-broncos-end-contract-extension-talks

Jeez. How the hell do you turn down $50 million to guard one of the best QB's in NFL history?! So what if Joe Thomas makes more guaranteed money? His team SUCKS. You would think that with as much money as these guys already make anyways, that they would at least care a LITTLE about winning too.

"Derrr, I'm gonna turn down a chance to win a Superbowl in the next few years and pocket $28 mil, because that's not as much money as Joe Thomas makes."

What a pud.

This is posturing. Denver is going to franchise him regardless so he has 2 more years before it really becomes an issue. I'm confident he will get signed long term. Discussions like this just take time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very, very good offer that Clady turned down.

MUFC OK
PGeorge2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

If he thinks he deserves more than what he was offered, he can beat it. He has not come close to playing like he did in his first couple of years, yet he wants to be paid like he has. He was offered top 5 money, and to be honest, he hasn't played like a top 5 T overall.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGeorge2 wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

If he thinks he deserves more than what he was offered, he can beat it. He has not come close to playing like he did in his first couple of years, yet he wants to be paid like he has. He was offered top 5 money, and to be honest, he hasn't played like a top 5 T overall.

Let me play devil's advocate. By your logic, why didnt the Broncos offer Manning 60 million instead of 100 million? After all, he has been out of football for 2 years. He has had four surgeries on his neck. His injury was considered career threatening. His former team chose to let possibly the greatest QB in history walk. Nobody knows for sure if Manning will be the same or hold up the entire season.
So why was it ok for Peyton to get near max deal and not for Clady?
Donut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
PGeorge2 wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Let me play devil's advocate. By your logic, why didnt the Broncos offer Manning 60 million instead of 100 million? After all, he has been out of football for 2 years. He has had four surgeries on his neck. His injury was considered career threatening. His former team chose to let possibly the greatest QB in history walk. Nobody knows for sure if Manning will be the same or hold up the entire season.

Manning cleared oit medically. Manning played as a top 2 QB for a long stretch of time. Clady on the other hand was at best a top tackle for 1 maybe 2 years if you're feeling very generous. Many would argue he never was a top tier tackle.
I wouldn't offer him top 5 money when he has been a average LT. What argument is there for giving him a max deal that's better than better tackles extensions.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:

You're confusing me. Clady was offered a "near" max deal. A tie for the 4th highest salary among 64 starting NFL OT's qualifies as "near" max.

Also, please oh please tell me you're not comparing Manning and Clady.
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
mke1010 wrote:

You're confusing me. Clady was offered a "near" max deal. A tie for the 4th highest salary among 64 starting NFL OT's qualifies as "near" max.

Playing devil's advocate. Didn't say it was my opinion. Putting the opposing view out there because people tend to oversimplify issues. As if Clady and his agent are flat out crazy and illogical. Clady has made 2 pro bowls and prior to his injury Clady was a top 5 tackle in all of football. I think you are being extremely harsh when you suggest he is not a top tier Tackle. He is definitely a top tier tackle.

And from his perspective as well as his agent, why would they take this deal when they know he can get much more? It's business first and foremost. The Broncos will not hesitate to cut an under performing player if his contract is seen as a waste of cap space. So dont blame players when they try to maximize their leverage.

Spin it how you want. The Broncos invested a ton of money in Manning even though there are serious questions about his health, age and ability to bounce back to what he was. I was elated when we signed Manning and I would the deal again 10 times over. But make no mistake about it, Manning got a contract based purely on his past. And that past was two years ago prior to multiple surgeries. He is a risk. The Clady camp probably feels Clady is less risk for his position and should get more guaranteed money.
All I am saying is Clady is not stupid. He has every right to do what he is doing. And to be frank, it is the smart play on his part. When it is all said and done he will get more guaranteed money from the 50 million than the Broncos are willing to give right now.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
mke1010 wrote:

Playing devil's advocate. Didn't say it was my opinion. Putting the opposing view out there because people tend to oversimplify issues. As if Clady and his agent are flat out crazy and illogical. Clady has made 2 pro bowls and prior to his injury Clady was a top 5 tackle in all of football. I think you are being extremely harsh when you suggest he is not a top tier Tackle. He is definitely a top tier tackle.

And from his perspective as well as his agent, why would they take this deal when they know he can get much more? It's business first and foremost. The Broncos will not hesitate to cut an under performing player if his contract is seen as a waste of cap space. So dont blame players when they try to maximize their leverage.

Spin it how you want. The Broncos invested a ton of money in Manning even though there are serious questions about his health, age and ability to bounce back to what he was. I was elated when we signed Manning and I would the deal again 10 times over. But make no mistake about it, Manning got a contract based purely on his past. And that past was two years ago prior to multiple surgeries. He is a risk. The Clady camp probably feels Clady is less risk for his position and should get more guaranteed money.
All I am saying is Clady is not stupid. He has every right to do what he is doing. And to be frank, it is the smart play on his part. When it is all said and done he will get more guaranteed money from the 50 million than the Broncos are willing to give right now.

Okay, you say he's a top 5 tackle, I won't disagree. Well, he's being offered top 5 money.

You say he can get much more. Depends on what "much" is. If he signs a 5 year deal next year as the top OT, ($11.5 mil per year) over the course of the contract he'll regain $1mil more than what he loses this year, $6.5 mil. Not so sure I'd consider that smart.

I'm not disputing his right to do this, I just think it's poorly thought out and hopefully not a decision he'll regret.
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year the contract numbers go up. I dont think 50 million as a figure is the problem. I think 28 million as the guaranteed amount is the issue. Clady probably feels he can get closer to 35 million guaranteed. Time will tell. Cheers.
PGeorge2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
PGeorge2 wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Here I go over simplifying things again. Peyton Manning is a no doubt first ballot hall of famer and will go down as one of the greatest players of all time. Ryan Clady had back to back amazing years. No doubt about it.

He hurt his knee and has not been quite the same. His sack numbers have gone up and his penalty numbers have went up. Sounds to me as if he is not as good as he was the the penalties are a way of trying to compensate for that.

Frankly, he was offered top 5 money as in my opinion that is overpaying. It isn't severely over paying and sometimes you over pay for a good guy who does things the right way. I just think he is crazy for turning down that type of money.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: