Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Camp News and Notes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tony7188


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 3398
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramxel wrote:
So Boller retires 1 day after signing?

LMAO

Is this for real?


That is the most hilarious thing I've seen in a while
_________________

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 23206
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've gleaned from Gehlkin (maybe that he comes across as considerably more humble - which could just be youthful exuberance - but compared to Acee I'm loving this kid) in his latest Mail Bag is that we're currently in the market for veteran depth at CB.

This is not to suggest, and in fact he pointed this out unsolicited, that Cason, Jammer, Wright, and Gilchrist aren't all showing improvement, but the likelihood of us carrying only 4 CB's is slim (particularly given Cason's penchant for getting nicked up and usually missing a game or two per season with injury).

Now the interesting (both good and bad I suppose, depends on your outlook) thing to consider is the current FA pool for the position:
- Domonique Foxworth is likely to retire, or so he's said.
- Dominique Barber could get a look due to presumed scheme familiarity, but he's just another Cletis Gordon.
- Speaking of Flash, he's also available, and it wouldn't shock me to see him brought back, but it also wouldn't impress me much.
- Dante Hughes was signed up by the Giants, so there goes that reunion possibility.
- Kelly Jennings is sitting out there, but he's nothing impressive (when Pacman Jones beats you out on the depth chart that resounds rather clearly)
- Trumaine McBride... yelch!
- Benny Sapp's a possibility, but he's also the definition of depth (I'd be pulling out my hair if the guy was ever playing anything beyond the nickel or dime back positions)
- I suppose Lito Sheppard's a possibility, but not one I'm particularly fond of.
- Fabian Washington's available... but he still hasn't learned how to tackle.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AntonioGates


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 7819
Location: Southern California
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin O'Connell is the new backup QB it looks like. Boy I never knew the options were so thin for emergency backup. I guess the fact that the Chargers are basically letting everyone know this spot has no chance of making the roster kind of hurts the market, but I would think it's a better option than unemployment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17515
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
Kevin O'Connell is the new backup QB it looks like. Boy I never knew the options were so thin for emergency backup. I guess the fact that the Chargers are basically letting everyone know this spot has no chance of making the roster kind of hurts the market, but I would think it's a better option than unemployment.


I'm sure he was brought in as a favor to somebody. He's a local boy.

If anybody can turn Whitehurst, Boller, or O'Connell into a decent backup, it's Norv. Hopefully that's the case.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8199
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
Kevin O'Connell is the new backup QB it looks like. Boy I never knew the options were so thin for emergency backup. I guess the fact that the Chargers are basically letting everyone know this spot has no chance of making the roster kind of hurts the market, but I would think it's a better option than unemployment.


He's not the backup QB. He's a camp arm to throw to WR's so Rivers doesn't have to. Its unlikely that he'll even make it to a preseason game. He's just there to throw while Clipboard Jesus. Thats the reason that guys like Volek or even guys like Dennis Dixon aren't here. If Charlie was going to miss an even moderate amount of time, one of those guys would be a target, but he's not, and their not taking a vet min, 2 week job...
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17515
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
The North County Times says the Chargers plan is to use Eddie Royal primarily in the slot with Malcom Floyd and Robert Meachem on the outside.
It's worth noting because Vincent Brown is not mentioned as having a shot at either outside starting job. It appears that he's in for another "redshirt" season, but oft-injured and impending free agent Floyd figures to be within his reach. Although Meachem is the man to own in fantasy, it's conceivable that Royal could steal some reps from him or Floyd in two-wide formations.


No real surprises. I'd really like to see Brown get enough reps to keep Floyd around for all 16.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17515
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Ryan Mathews was a bystander in Tuesday's practice after suffering "minor injuries" in an overnight car crash.
Mathews was taken to the hospital complaining of pain after his BMW collided with another vehicle. California Highway Patrol determined that speed was a factor, but there's no indication that alcohol or drugs were involved. The incident should blow over as long as Mathews returns to practice in a day or two.

Ryan Mathews conceded that he banged up his elbow "a little bit" in Tuesday morning's freak car accident.
Mathews sustained no serious injuries, but admitted to soreness resulting from the impact. "We're just taking it day by day," Mathews replied when asked when he'll be back in practice. We suspect he'll be fine by the preseason opener.


I really want to believe he'll stay healthy, but it's almost like he's finding ways to miss time.



Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers coach Norv Turner has declared Tyronne Green the team's starting left guard.
As expected. Incumbent Kris Dielman retired, opening up the door for the 26-year-old Green. Entering the final year of his rookie deal, this is the 2009 fourth-round pick's best shot at earning a long-term starting gig.


No surprise here. He played well in relief, and worked hard this offseason to keep the job. I think he'll continue to improve.


Rotoworld wrote:
Coach Norv Turner suggested not only that Ronnie Brown will make the final roster, but that he will also have an occasional role out of the "Wildcat" offense.
"I know Ronnie Brown is going to make big plays because he has the ability to make the first tackler miss," said Turner, adding that Brown will make catches out of the backfield. Turner suggested the Chargers could run the Wildcat "four-five times" per game, which is awfully optimistic. The upshot here is that Brown is favorite to enter the season as Ryan Mathews' backup. We suspect he's washed up at age 30.


I really want to see him throw Rivers a pass, and watch Rivers truck somebody to get into the endzone. It would make the season.


Rotoworld wrote:
After visiting Chargers camp, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport stated that he believes Antonio Gates is primed for a "big, big season."
"The best thing is, he can actually run," Rapoport said. "... He is in shape. He looks skinny. He was burning cornerbacks left and right in practice. ... He is feeling healthier now than he's been in a couple of years. He is really looking like he's primed for a big, big season." We are also convinced Gates has at least one mammoth year left. His current ADP is the fifth round.


A healthy Gates means the world to this team.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 23206
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
Ryan Mathews was a bystander in Tuesday's practice after suffering "minor injuries" in an overnight car crash.
Mathews was taken to the hospital complaining of pain after his BMW collided with another vehicle. California Highway Patrol determined that speed was a factor, but there's no indication that alcohol or drugs were involved. The incident should blow over as long as Mathews returns to practice in a day or two.

Ryan Mathews conceded that he banged up his elbow "a little bit" in Tuesday morning's freak car accident.
Mathews sustained no serious injuries, but admitted to soreness resulting from the impact. "We're just taking it day by day," Mathews replied when asked when he'll be back in practice. We suspect he'll be fine by the preseason opener.

Well... this rules out giving him the Tiki-treatment (possibly even coming from, I don't know, hiring Tiki Barber himself to run/coach it since Ollie Williams is pretty uninspiring) during camp since it would likely only further aggravate an elbow injury.

For reference, the Tiki treatment refers to the drilling which Tom Coughlin put Tiki Barber through in the year prior to the Giants' first SB win under his tenure, wherein Tiki's entire manner of toting the rock and covering the tip was re-tooled to rather effectively reduce the amount of fumbles he coughed up (and which led to Tiki's somewhat odd carrying style that resembled a chicken wing).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SaveourSonics


Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 45415
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want you guys to know that I've been reading all 4 pages of this baby and it's the reason I just selected Antonio Gates in my fantasy football league Wink
_________________
'
Richard D!ck Sherman 4 Prez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17515
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers second-round DE Kendall Reyes has been a "standout" early in training camp, showing a combination of pass-rushing and run-stuffing ability.
"While it is early, all indications are the Chargers have potentially found something special in Reyes," writes ESPN.com's Bill Williamson, predicting the No. 49 overall pick will play a significant role "right away." San Diego's front-seven looks to be much improved this season.


I hope this stays true. The DE spot hasn't had any life for a while now. A rotation with Martin, Reyes, and Liuget could keep the D good for a long time.


Rotoworld wrote:
Undrafted RB Michael Hayes has reportedly outplayed seventh-rounder Edwin Baker early in training camp.
Hayes rushed for 727 yards and 11 TDs and hauled in 44 passes for 483 yards and 4 TDs at Houston last year. He started his college career taking handoffs from Cam Newton at Blinn (TX) College. Impressing the coaching staff with long gainers and an ability to slip tackles on a daily basis, Hayes could beat out Baker and Curtis Brinkley for a roster spot.


Mathews is a one-cut guy. McClain and Hester bring some beef. Brown is broken. There's no wiggle. There needs to be wiggle somewhere back there.
_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SaveourSonics


Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 45415
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers second-round DE Kendall Reyes has been a "standout" early in training camp, showing a combination of pass-rushing and run-stuffing ability.
"While it is early, all indications are the Chargers have potentially found something special in Reyes," writes ESPN.com's Bill Williamson, predicting the No. 49 overall pick will play a significant role "right away." San Diego's front-seven looks to be much improved this season.


I hope this stays true. The DE spot hasn't had any life for a while now. A rotation with Martin, Reyes, and Liuget could keep the D good for a long time.


Reyes was the only player in the draft to fall in Waldo's "Elite" grouping from his Combine numbers. History doesn't lie, players that have fallen in the "Elite" group are usually damn good in the NFL. I had Reyes as a 1st rounder.
_________________
'
Richard D!ck Sherman 4 Prez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Duffman57


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 8199
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers second-round DE Kendall Reyes has been a "standout" early in training camp, showing a combination of pass-rushing and run-stuffing ability.
"While it is early, all indications are the Chargers have potentially found something special in Reyes," writes ESPN.com's Bill Williamson, predicting the No. 49 overall pick will play a significant role "right away." San Diego's front-seven looks to be much improved this season.


I hope this stays true. The DE spot hasn't had any life for a while now. A rotation with Martin, Reyes, and Liuget could keep the D good for a long time.


Reyes was the only player in the draft to fall in Waldo's "Elite" grouping from his Combine numbers. History doesn't lie, players that have fallen in the "Elite" group are usually damn good in the NFL. I had Reyes as a 1st rounder.


Waldo's numbers were for 34 OLB's, and Nick Perry was in that explosion group IIRC. He was the only one in the class. I'm not sure what rankings your talking about if its not of the 34 OLB things.
_________________

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SaveourSonics


Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 45415
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers second-round DE Kendall Reyes has been a "standout" early in training camp, showing a combination of pass-rushing and run-stuffing ability.
"While it is early, all indications are the Chargers have potentially found something special in Reyes," writes ESPN.com's Bill Williamson, predicting the No. 49 overall pick will play a significant role "right away." San Diego's front-seven looks to be much improved this season.


I hope this stays true. The DE spot hasn't had any life for a while now. A rotation with Martin, Reyes, and Liuget could keep the D good for a long time.


Reyes was the only player in the draft to fall in Waldo's "Elite" grouping from his Combine numbers. History doesn't lie, players that have fallen in the "Elite" group are usually damn good in the NFL. I had Reyes as a 1st rounder.


Waldo's numbers were for 34 OLB's, and Nick Perry was in that explosion group IIRC. He was the only one in the class. I'm not sure what rankings your talking about if its not of the 34 OLB things.


http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=440676
_________________
'
Richard D!ck Sherman 4 Prez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17515
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More good news about Gates

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers S Eric Weddle said that Antonio Gates "hasn't looked this good since my rookie season."
Weddle has been matching up with Gates in practice since 2007. "He's going to be the best tight end in the NFL this year," Weddle said Thursday. "The best. You can't guard him ... I know there are a lot good tight ends coming up in the league, but Antonio is the best. He looks that good." By virtually all accounts, Gates is at 100 percent right now.

_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrDrew


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 17515
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDUT wrote:
Wide receiver Eddie Royal (groin) returned to camp after being away due to family reasons. He is expected to miss one to two weeks, likely sidelining him for the Chargers' first preseason game Aug. 9


Don't like that one bit.



Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers K Nate Kaeding (ACL surgery) said he's reached "the end of my rehab process."
Kaeding sustained his tear during Week 1 last season. The good news is that the damage was to his plant leg, not his kicking leg. If healthy, he shouldn't have a problem beating out Nick Novak. "If we had to play a game right now, I feel like I'm dialed in enough to do it," Kaeding said.

_________________


"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group