Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 4th pick, MINN Selects - Matt Kalil [LT] USC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we'll ever need to worry about that, but Its good to have insurance.

Can't wait to see this guy play. We lacked an elite Tackle for so long it seems.

down but not out. I still believe!
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the hold up on his contract?

Joe_is_the_best ^^
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:

Offsetting language vs no offsetting language. Basically, should the vikings be forced to pay his bonus money at the end of Kalil's rookie contract if he busts and is released.

Very minor in the grand scheme of things and I am really not sure why the vikes are pushing so hard on this issue. All the other top 7 picks that signed didnt have offsetting language, why do the Vikes have to try and set a precedent? Im sure the Vikes will cave tomorrow before practice, unless Kalil caves first.
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:

Offsetting language vs no offsetting language. Basically, should the vikings be forced to pay his bonus money at the end of Kalil's rookie contract if he busts and is released.

Very minor in the grand scheme of things and I am really not sure why the vikes are pushing so hard on this issue. All the other top 7 picks that signed didnt have offsetting language, why do the Vikes have to try and set a precedent? Im sure the Vikes will cave tomorrow before practice, unless Kalil caves first.

He has missed enough time. Get him on the field

Joe_is_the_best ^^
dc_vikingfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:

He has missed enough time. Get him on the field

He hasn't missed anything yet. He went to all the mini-camps allowed by NFL and the Vikings. Still I don't understand why the Vikings fighting so much for offset clause. Matt was the 4th pick even if plays dreadful for two years at LT they will only move him to RT before cutting him. So basically he is a lock to be on the roster full 3 years. The rookie contracts are a lot cheaper now and the money lost will be around the money you burn on Remi Ayodele. Why hurt the development of a player in a key area for that.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings are "working through" a contract for fourth overall pick Matt Kalil and don't expect their only rookie without a deal to miss training camp time, general manager Rick Spielman said. But with one day before players report to Minnesota State Mankato, the Vikings appear to be in a standoff with Kalil's reps.

The Vikings are insisting on full "offset language" for the former Southern California left tackle, despite the first three overall picks signing with guaranteed fourth years, according to the website. Offset language would allow the Vikings to cut Kalil and not pay his fourth-year salary if he signs with another team -- although the Vikings view Kalil as their cornerstone left tackle.

This is about precedent more than money. Kalil is due a four-year contract, likely with a fifth-year option, worth about $20 million guaranteed.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21154765/vikings-matt-kalil-reportedly-differ-over-guaranteed-fourth

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen, whose 22 sacks last season were just a half-sack short of Michael Strahan's NFL record, will probably burn Kalil a few times on technique, but expect the fourth overall pick to compete and learn quickly on the job.

Kalil has indicated he's up for the challenge, tweeting Allen a picture of a wheelchair in case he gets "overzealous" on the field.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_21156957/vikings-5-story-lines-training-camp

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian Ponder sure seems dedicated to proving he'll do just about anything to help the team. On Thursday, the day the Vikings reported to training camp at Minnesota State University, the second-year quarterback hung back in the Twin Cities until the early afternoon, waiting for a key passenger in his carpool.

That buddy -- rookie left tackle Matt Kalil -- first needed clearance before heading for Mankato. But as the finishing details were being typed into Kalil's first contract -- a four-year deal likely worth around $20 million -- Ponder sprung into action, picking Kalil up at the airport, driving him directly to Winter Park to sign the paperwork, and then pointing their joyride south on Hwy. 169.

Kalil: "Yeah, I call Christian up any time and he picks me up and takes me places."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/163954796.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope he can turn into a successful QB. There are so many things about him I really like.
TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalil: "Yeah, I call Christian up any time and he picks me up and takes me places."

Don't know why but this made me laugh haha. Glad Kalil and Ponder are getting a good friendship.

#TankItTeddy
HighHopes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
I really hope he can turn into a successful QB. There are so many things about him I really like.

Agreed 100%, Its another bit of blind optimism like I had with Tjack, but that was just because I wanteda mobile QB that could throw. But Ponder has taken over that want. Although its why Im pretty happy with this situation, as long as Webb or Ponder do well, Ill be really happy lol.

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My goal here isn't to beat Matt Kalil," Allen said. "Me beating him, me touching [quarterback] Christian [Ponder] on the butt 16 times at practice doesn't do anything for us. Each day, I have something fundamentally that I want to get better at to prepare myself for the season. And if I can help Matt with tips like, 'Hey man, don't do this, don't do that. Or try this,' that's what it's all about, trying to make each other better. ... I need him to be the best player he can be so I can win a championship."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/164155116.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y&refer=y

#TankItTeddy
vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Kalil believes he has graded out pretty well this preseason, but the Vikings' No. 1 draft choice from Southern California is looking forward to Friday's game with San Diego, which will be the closest thing to a normal game that he'll play before the regular season.

Kalil: "We'll play all the way up until I think the beginning of the third quarter. It'll be the most plays that I've played so far in a single NFL game. I thought I did pretty well [in the first two preseason games]. I'm looking to this next game to get more playing time and play the whole first half. I'm excited for it."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/167269785.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalil: ďAs a whole, the offensive line has played well. We feel a lot more comfortable with each other. Iím feeling a lot more comfortable out there. Things are slowing down and I feel good."

ďWe need to protect for however long we need to protect, whether itís three, four, five, 10 seconds. However long we need to protect, we need to be better at. Thatís something as an offensive line that we kind of want to do. We want to give [Ponder] as much time as possible to make plays downfield, so in that aspect it wasnít good enough.Ē

http://min.scout.com/2/1215019.html

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Q: What did you see with Matt Kalil in the protection aspect on Friday?

A: Good effort. We didnít start the game very well, our first six plays resulted in a total of two yards. After that I thought we kicked it into gear and did some Viking-type offensive plays. We didnít end up where we wanted to but at least we did some more characteristic things, other than what we did the first six plays. I thought Matt was part of that too, he didnít play his best those first six plays but then he played better as the first half progressed.

Q: He gave up pressure on an outside speed rush, does he need to move his feet a little better or is that more of a recognition thing?

A: Probably both. Get a better result, a better technique, better anticipation which will come with experience.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Quotes---Coordinators---August-27/ee0583f0-1031-448f-8b71-ae7e7affc2d8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 19 of 23

Jump to: