Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions sign former Jaguars and Jets CB Drew Coleman

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39658
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Lions sign former Jaguars and Jets CB Drew Coleman Reply with quote

Quote:
#Lions have signed former #Jets and #Jaguars CB Drew Coleman to a 1-year deal.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/228239604896104449

Coleman created 10 turnovers and 6 sacks for the Jets and Jaguars in 2010 and 2011, so he should be able to stick with the team.


_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute


Last edited by Billy Spikes on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lions on top


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 1503
Location: Washington
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I was wondering why no one picked Coleman up. He's decent starting material, I think he could come in and supplement the rookies for a few until one of them is ready to take over. I picture Lacy as exclusively a nickel corner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lions on top


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 1503
Location: Washington
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Coleman recorded 69 tackles, 6 sacks 3 INTs and 8 forced fumbles the past two seasons. So he brings playmaking ability.


https://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheROARisBACK


Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Posts: 3464
Location: Motor City
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's serviceable, not expecting much as a starter although I think he'll stick around and make the roster. Unlike most of the other signings, this one really impacts our depth.
_________________
Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFan630


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 11255
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lions on top wrote:
Nice, I was wondering why no one picked Coleman up. He's decent starting material, I think he could come in and supplement the rookies for a few until one of them is ready to take over. I picture Lacy as exclusively a nickel corner.


Everything I've read pretty much says Coleman is best suited at nickel as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RIP CITY


Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 708
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every bit as good as Berry, I like it. Dump the wanna be gangsta and sign someone of equal or greater talent, works for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X_Factor_40


Moderator
Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 18726
Location: Hockeytown
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice signing for the Lions. You can never stop upgrading your depth. I like the move.
_________________
Team Stylish313
Adopt-A-Lion: Calvin Johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
iPwn


Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 45454
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
lions on top wrote:
Nice, I was wondering why no one picked Coleman up. He's decent starting material, I think he could come in and supplement the rookies for a few until one of them is ready to take over. I picture Lacy as exclusively a nickel corner.


Everything I've read pretty much says Coleman is best suited at nickel as well.


He is. He's fantastic as the nickel, but seemed to really struggle any time he was asked to play outside for us. If you play him as a nickel, expect him to be a bright spot on that defense, but don't be surprised if he is a liability if he's asked to start. The lack of versatility to play outside is why he was let go by Jacksonville.
_________________

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YlionsY


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 14656
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear that he does well in the nickel. Great depth signing and has shown that playmaking ability.

Doesn't look like he will make it as a starter though. We have Houston and then who for #2?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFTW


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 18106
Location: Rock City, Arkansas
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:
lions on top wrote:
Nice, I was wondering why no one picked Coleman up. He's decent starting material, I think he could come in and supplement the rookies for a few until one of them is ready to take over. I picture Lacy as exclusively a nickel corner.


Everything I've read pretty much says Coleman is best suited at nickel as well.


He is. He's fantastic as the nickel, but seemed to really struggle any time he was asked to play outside for us. If you play him as a nickel, expect him to be a bright spot on that defense, but don't be surprised if he is a liability if he's asked to start. The lack of versatility to play outside is why he was let go by Jacksonville.


Sounds like every other CB on our roster not named Chris Houston.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
perikirest


Joined: 19 Jan 2010
Posts: 1637
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Coleman was kinda hoping he would end up back in NY lol Very Happy he had 4 sacks and 5 FF with a pick in his last year in Ryan's defense.
_________________


AAJ Mark Sanchez
1 Torn Labrum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DrRay11


Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3299
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
iPwn wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:
lions on top wrote:
Nice, I was wondering why no one picked Coleman up. He's decent starting material, I think he could come in and supplement the rookies for a few until one of them is ready to take over. I picture Lacy as exclusively a nickel corner.


Everything I've read pretty much says Coleman is best suited at nickel as well.


He is. He's fantastic as the nickel, but seemed to really struggle any time he was asked to play outside for us. If you play him as a nickel, expect him to be a bright spot on that defense, but don't be surprised if he is a liability if he's asked to start. The lack of versatility to play outside is why he was let go by Jacksonville.


Sounds like every other CB on our roster not named Chris Houston.


I think Greenwood has the most potential outside. Too bad he's hurt. :/
_________________
Football is love, love is life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Go_LiOnS


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 2229
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a bad pick up for whats out ther. not sure what he plays best at press,off,or zone but seems to make some plays when hes in...could be a nice playmaker in the nickel if needed. but dam how many nickelbacks we got.. not sure i could trust houston to stay healthy a whole year. not looking good..hope we win alot of shootouts..
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsFan630


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 11255
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
Nice to hear that he does well in the nickel. Great depth signing and has shown that playmaking ability.

Doesn't look like he will make it as a starter though. We have Houston and then who for #2?


Right now it's probably Lacey. I expect though before the end of the year that it'll be Bentley as our #2.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group