Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ben Tate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jargin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Ben Tate Reply with quote

What type of season are you guys expecting from Ben Tate in 2012? I might venture to say I like him more than I like Arian Foster. When we chose him I didn't quite know what to expect because he was a hard player to peg coming out. He is an all around back. He is a feature back. Speed, Power, Quickness. Hes got it all really. Fumbling problem and injury. Those have been the two knocks on him so far and Foster broke out before he could come back from his injury.

I really hope he gets a 1,000 yards this season.

I hope that Foster stays healthy throughout the course of the season and delivers a 1,500+ yard performance and that towards the end of the year we can let him just play the 1st quarter and then let Tate go for the 1,000 mark. Hes one of the players on the team that really excites me. I get more excited when I see 44 in the backfield than I do 23 sometimes because I know someone is about to get trucked or someone is about to get ran over. For all the great things Foster does, he doesn't lower the boom enough. Last year he laid a nice truck on Aqib Talib and threw a nasty stiff arm on Chris Crocker, but Tate seemed like he was bouncing off defenders left and right. I especially enjoyed Tate's performances against the Titans and the Browns. He packs a punch. I can't wait to watch him run in 2012.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Tate as well, wanted him in the 2nd round of the draft and got my wish. As for what I expect of him this year, I think he runs well but only reaches the 1000 yd. mark if there's a serious injury to Foster. I'd like to see the Texans feature Tate more often and more toward the end of the season so as to keep Foster healthy and rested for the playoffs. I'd also like to see him get the 1000 yd. mark so that he can possibly be trade bait come draft time. With Fosters new contract, I expect a huge year from him and thus a lesser role from Tate because there's just not enough carries to go around.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantasy wise: If you draft Foster in your drafts you should handcuff Tate with him.

I like Tate as well too. I think he won't reach the 1000 yard rushing mark, but that still doesn't mean he will have a productive season. Teams now know how good he is since it was his first season last year. If we are able to clinch the playoffs early like last season I expect him to get more carries than before we clinch. If I were to predict his numbers I would say something like 850 rushing yards and 6 touchdowns.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Fantasy wise: If you draft Foster in your drafts you should handcuff Tate with him.

I like Tate as well too. I think he won't reach the 1000 yard rushing mark, but that still doesn't mean he will have a productive season. Teams now know how good he is since it was his first season last year. If we are able to clinch the playoffs early like last season I expect him to get more carries than before we clinch. If I were to predict his numbers I would say something like 850 rushing yards and 6 touchdowns.

Tate's not a good handcuff back. Handcuffs tend to only be useful in RBBC situations. Tate won't play except to give Foster a breather... or if he gets hurt. In fact, Tate might have less of a role than Forsett, who might beat out Foster for 3rd-Down RB.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

Tate's not a good handcuff back. Handcuffs tend to only be useful in RBBC situations. Tate won't play except to give Foster a breather... or if he gets hurt. In fact, Tate might have less of a role than Forsett, who might beat out Foster for 3rd-Down RB.

I guess "handcuff in case of injury" would be a better way to phrase it (depending on how deep your bench is, of course). Ben Tate WILL get picked up by someone (via draft or post draft FA selection) so it behooves the owner of Foster to be a bit proactive in the event something were to happen to Foster. It's not as if Tate would be on the waiver wire at any point in the fantasy season, given the year he had last year.

Sure, you're burning a pick that could be of value in terms of a boom/bust WR (think AJ Green last year) or a 2nd tier QB (your Flacco/Ryan/Freeman QBs) or a low risk/high reward TE (Jimmy Graham last year, Aaron Hernandez last year, Brandon Pettigrew last year, etc) but...if you're going to play it safe, it's a safe route to run.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forsett will not beat out Foster in anything and Tate will continue to see some carries. I expect similar roles like last season. Ride Foster unless Tate is the hot hand in a specific game or unless Foster is hurt. Also, JF is just a guy on the roster, he will not see many carries similar to Ward.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still mad we turned down a 1st round pick from the browns for Tate last year. Since there is no way we can resign him in 2014 with Arians contract so I'm hoping for a productive year like last along with him staying healthy. Then attempt to trade him again.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
38 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Marco79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
I'm still mad we turned down a 1st round pick from the browns for Tate last year. Since there is no way we can resign him in 2014 with Arians contract so I'm hoping for a productive year like last along with him staying healthy. Then attempt to trade him again.

That was just a rumor. We probably were never offered a first rounder.
jargin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are very fortunate to have a guy like Tate to push Foster because if Foster puts the ball on the ground Kubiak does not hesitate to put him on the bench and put Tate in the game. I think it makes Foster better knowing that Tate is right behind him waiting for carries, completely capable of producing big plays.

I hope that Tate will want to remain a Texan but I can foresee a Michael Turner esque departure in free agency to be the bell cow for another offense. Tate won't have very much tread on the tires and will be pretty young still when his rookie contract expires and could get a big pay day in free agency.

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Pancakes reported they did and we turned it down. Then on 610 one morning a caller asked if there was truth to that rumor and he said he only reports "true" story's. Take that for what it's worth.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
38 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
DreDay80

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Pancakes reported they did and we turned it down. Then on 610 one morning a caller asked if there was truth to that rumor and he said he only reports "true" story's. Take that for what it's worth.

If that's true we're truly idiots for not taking that deal.
treece300e

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreDay80 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

I would have to agree. Running Backs, especially a backup, are rarely worth first round picks. I can see it being a value for the Browns, though. Since they were likely planning on using a first round pick on a back anyway (and ultimately the #3 pick). They would have been better off trading the #22 pick to us for Tate then using the #3 pick on a QB or trading back for more picks. I think the Texans could have picked up Reiff or traded it for more picks in the 2nd and 3rd. Or, not very likely, but used to pick up the tender on Mike Wallace.
kenney

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treece300e wrote:
DreDay80 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

I would have to agree. Running Backs, especially a backup, are rarely worth first round picks. I can see it being a value for the Browns, though. Since they were likely planning on using a first round pick on a back anyway (and ultimately the #3 pick). They would have been better off trading the #22 pick to us for Tate then using the #3 pick on a QB or trading back for more picks. I think the Texans could have picked up Reiff or traded it for more picks in the 2nd and 3rd. Or, not very likely, but used to pick up the tender on Mike Wallace.

Pancakes said later that his source said that it wasn't true. He reneged on the Tate-to-Cleveland trade rumor a few weeks ago.
jargin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Cleveland was ever going to give up a 1st when they were in prime position to get Richardson, the guy rated highest at his position to come out since Peterson in 2007.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: