Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2 Weeks Until Training Camp: What Will You Be Watching?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: 2 Weeks Until Training Camp: What Will You Be Watching? Reply with quote

Just 11 days until the Pats take the field for the first time this summer. What will everyone be watching for? Here are 10 things I'll be watching (hopefully I won't be watching much in the way of injury):

1. The young DB's - McCourty, Dowling, Wilson, Moore - the Pats really need to get contributions for at least 2 of these guys

2. The "on the bubble" former high draft picks - I think this is the end of the line for Cunningham and Brace but I hope they prove me wrong

3. The interior OL - With Koppen old, Connolly mediocre (at best), Mankins out and Waters possibly out, this could be a weak spot for the team for the first part of the year. Hopefully Cannon, McDonald and/or Wendell can develop a bit and stabilize the position

4. New veteran faces - Lloyd, Gallery, Carpenter, Allen, Stallworth, Fells, Fanene, Scott, etc. Can they fit in? What do they have left?

5. Chandler Jones' ability to get to the QB - tough to gauge in pre-season but I'm hopeful he stays healthy and shows the ability to provide some rush

6. 2nd year RB's - A lot of pressure on Ridley/Vereen to replace Green-Ellis (pressure insofar as these guys are almost total unknowns, not in the sense that Green-Ellis will be difficult to replace statistically)

7. Base defense - Will the Pats be running 3-4, 4-3 or some hybrid for their base? How do the new guys fit?

8. Continued development for Spikes - he showed big time potential down the stretch and in the playoffs. If he can be that type of player on a full-time basis, the Pats LB corps will be very solid

9. The other rookies, especially Hightower and Bequetter. IMO the Pats need to get at least 1 high-quality defender out of the Jones/Hightower/Bequette trio and one other guy who can be a solid (if unspectacular) starter or a superb role player.

10. Andre Carter - is he coming back, what's he have left?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Chandler standing. He was my mancrush prospect and on film I never saw him thrown at when n coverage(the one time he dropped back a game). I'd like to see how he does everything standing.

2. Shane Vereen. Can he be relied on. I like him more than Ridley. Can he be our main RB? or is a a bust or a big play 3rd down back guy.

3. Will Allen and Sterling Moore as DBs. After last year and depth at DB I've thought about carrying 10 DBs instead of 9. If we do I'd like it to be Allen and Moore making it. Though its on truly useful if both show they can play CB and FS. Though I thought Sterling was good last yr at it especially because of the circumstance but Bill disagreed so I'm interested.

4. How we use Hightower. Can't say I'm not interested because a lot of ways and formations to use him in.

5. How does Ras I look and if he's healthy.

6. Jermaine Cunningham and Trevor Scott. I think a roster spot could come down to how both look.

7. Matty Slates and how much he's improved as a WR. This one means next to nothing for next season but he's a preseason beast and I'd like to see him develop some more.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm most looking forward to is seeing how the defence unfolds. Are we going 34 or 43? Where do you the new guys fit in?

BB has gone out and got 2 nice shiny new toys in the first round, Spikes is developing nicely, Mayo is solid...It feels like BB has been planning and building this defence for a while and this is year it all becomes clear. Like at the end of the Usual Suspects.

Quote:
Well, I'm the President of the Howdy Doody Circus Army!
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
What I'm most looking forward to is seeing how the defence unfolds. Are we going 34 or 43? Where do you the new guys fit in?

BB has gone out and got 2 nice shiny new toys in the first round, Spikes is developing nicely, Mayo is solid...It feels like BB has been planning and building this defence for a while and this is year it all becomes clear. Like at the end of the Usual Suspects.

Honestly I dont think the preseason will definitely say one or the other. Hell I could see us running some of that S/LB hybrid we did w/ Williams but this time w/ Barrett. Laughing
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

Honestly I dont think the preseason will definitely say one or the other. Hell I could see us running some of that S/LB hybrid we did w/ Williams but this time w/ Barrett. Laughing

Williams?

Hopefully Barret doesn't make the team, because he's both injury prone and terrible at defense.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Donut wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

Williams?

Hopefully Barret doesn't make the team, because he's both injury prone and terrible at defense.

Tank Williams.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offensive line and the secondary, AKA the only two units that can hold the team back from being Superbowl champions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Ebert, Stallworth, or Edelman prevent Branch from winning the #4 WR spot by default? Will they even carry 5 WRs (excluding Slater)?

Who rounds out the roster at DE/OLB? Jones, Bequette, and Ninkovich are locks, as is Hightower if he's in that group and Carter if he's resigned. From there, it's a battle between Jermaine Cunningham, Trevor Scott, and Justin Francis, who are all intriguing to some degree.

And some specific players:
Fanene: Starting 4-3 LE or subpackage interior rusher?
Ebner: Immediate ST star or PS safety prospect?
Wilson: Was Belichick right?
Roark: Perfect practice player or future Sunday contributor?
Bolden: BJGE 2.0?
Fletcher: Was the thumb to blame for last season's disappearance?
FakingInjuries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones and hightower.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see what happens at training camp. So much talent on hand.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Jaymun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching to see if Ridley still flails his off-ball hand while running, it always bugs me for some reason.
BostonZombie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there the 26th. Girlfriend demanded I take her this time. She also hates when I watch football... Chicks haha...

AAP: Kyle Love Machine - Tackles - 5
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Donut wrote:
ChazStandard wrote:

Williams?

Tank Williams.

Tank Williams never played in a regular season game for the Patriots. He blew out his knee early in 2008 camp (maybe he played in one or two pre-season games?) and was released before camp in 2009.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:

Roark: Perfect practice player or future Sunday contributor?

Did I miss something on this guy during mini-camp? Everything I've read on him indicates he's your typical roster fodder who will be gone in the 1st wave of cuts (or before).

Quote:
Bolden: BJGE 2.0?

Different style of player, hopefully he can carve out a spot on the roster though I think his most likely spot is either the PS or claimed off waivers by another team

Quote:
Fletcher: Was the thumb to blame for last season's disappearance?

I really hope so, because the backup LB's are still incredibly thin (and I thought he showed some nice tools in 2010)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be looking at a lot going into training camp as well, there are high hopes for this team, and they are well deserved, but there is a lot of speculation going into camp...

1. Shane Vereen - We got a chance to see what Ridley could do at times last season, but I am more interested in Vereen at this point. He is a huge mystery to most fans in terms of what he can bring on game day. Most pigeon-hole him as a 3rd down, pass catching back, but I think he has the body to be an everydown kind of RB. If he stays healthy and gets blitz pickup down, I think he will be the starter by the end of the season.

2. The interior offensive line - As mentioned previously by a number of posters, there is a lot to see unfold here. With new, veteran faces brought in, and a number of injuries and questions to former established starters, what will the interior O-line look like at the start of the season... And what it could look like toward the end.

3. Chandler Jones and Jake Bequette - Chandler Jones is the name everyone is talking about, obviously due to the Pats aggressive move to get him, and his potential versatility in our Defense. However, I think that Bequette might look better to start their careers, especially in the typical 4-3. Depending on where they each play, I think Bequette will shine early, because he is a more established, polished pass rusher at this stage of his career. Jones is the physical freak, and it will be interesting to see him stand-up and play DE/LB, but I wonder if Bequette will be able to contribute standing up as well, as this was a possibility listed on a few scouting reports.

4. Hightower - I am currently salivating just thinking about his potential in our defense. He is a proven leader and playmaker, and I think he will contribute from day one. Whenever I read an article on Hightower, they are always trying to project him to a specific position, but then continuing to say that he can play several others. I don't want to define his role yet. When I imagine Hightower, this is what I see...
Hightower starts in the middle of the defense, moves to the left side of the alignment showing he will drop in coverage, then shifting to the right showing a blitz, then moving back to the middle, all while relaying calls to the defense... The quarterback of the opposing team subsequently calls a time out, goes to the sideline, and proceeds to clean his pants that he has just soiled
Hightower won't line up in any one spot (hopefully), cause he can do everything, and this will frighten Quarterbacks and O coordinators alike. (I am also predicting the nickname "Hightower of Terror" or just "Highterror", who's with me?)

5. 34 versus the 43 - obviously they won't play any one defense too much, but it will be interesting to see where all the new faces line up in each alignment. What base defense they choose to line up in is of course an interest, but to be honest, I fell in love with the 3-4 when the Patriots leaned heavily on it to a certain degree, and with all the rookies and new FAs, I am definitely going to be looking at how the 3-4 stacks up, more than the base 4-3.

6. Ras-I Dowling - This guy will be the key to our defensive backfield this year. More than any other player, I think he will be the reason the defensive backfield succeeds or fails. He is physically gifted in terms of measurables, but like most fans, I worry that he is made of glass. If he can stay healthy, a combination of Dowling and McCourty/Arrington will start to seem imposing (I will also be watching McCourty, but not nearly as much as I will be paying attention to Dowling)

7. Wilson and Dennard - Of all the rookies, I am most interested by what Tavon Wilson will bring to the field (specifically because I have read so little about him). Being a relatively (if not completely) unknown player during draft day, BB took a risk to his rep by drafting Wilson so early. Of course, i couldn't hope to ever know about Wilson what I am sure BB and his staff have studied and learned about him, so I should shut my trap. However, his potential versatility for our backfield is tantalizing, at least in theory. As for Dennard, a potential second rounder fell due to clear character (and basic intelligence) concerns. But on talent alone, Dennard was a great draft choice. If he can get out of court relatively unscathed and contribute, I think he will be a great addition to the team.

8. The URFA - Every year, I watch the URFA closely, as the Patriots have a reputation for finding contributors from these ranks. I was a little dissappointed by this years haul of undrafted rookie free agents, as a hole, but there are a few guys that I really like. I think that Forston was a good signing, and while he might not ever be anything, he does have some potential. I also really like Justin Francis, he got better every year at Rutgers, and he has good size for the 4-3 or 3-4, in my opinion he will be a great practice squad player. But my favorite by far was Mark Zusevics. Due to a pectoral issue, he went undrafted (he might not have been drafted anyway), but I really like his motor and developmental potential. I think that in a few years, he will be a great OL backup, and will be able to replace many positions on the OL once he is coached up.

We have it good this year, as there are a lot of questions going into camp, and a lot to watch, but we are clearly one of the deepest, most talented teams in the NFL. If things fall into place and injuries don't ruin our team, I see a definite run to the championship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: