Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Everson Griffen moving to LB; back to DE?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calipurple

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video of him working out at Larry Fitzgerald's camp is actually pretty impressive coverage for a guy thats been on the dline for so long.

http://www.1500espn.com/videos/vikings_everson_griffen_covers_all_comers_including_larry_fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calipurple wrote:
This video of him working out at Larry Fitzgerald's camp is actually pretty impressive coverage for a guy thats been on the dline for so long.

http://www.1500espn.com/videos/vikings_everson_griffen_covers_all_comers_including_larry_fitzgerald

I like it!
JMac79

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
calipurple wrote:

I like it!

Watching that video brought back a ton of memories... mostly of when I was an AFROTC cadet at the U of M. In the fall and spring, we'd do our PT and Physical Fitness Tests (PFTs) on the track around that field. Was a heck of a lot better than doing it in the winter, because then we'd have to do it in the field house behind the armory, which always seemed to have zero humidity in the air... Laughing

Griffen looks pretty fluid in shorts but it should be interesting to see him once he gets some pads on, changing assignments and/or drops from snap-to-snap, and 4 more eligible receivers on the field. As an OLB my guess is that he'll be doing a lot more coverage in zones than the man-to-man coverage in the drills in this video, and to perform well in zones you have to have a greater understanding of whats happening around you, and what your and your teammates' responsibilities are. But, it is still quite impressive to see a guy his size working on coverage as shown in this video...

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Griffin - Erin - Greenway

Been hoping for this. Guy is too talented to not be on the feild.

That looks great to me.

Griffin didn't even look like a liability in coverage last year, and he was what? 280 pounds.

I'm expecting big things from him. I hope this works out!

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably wont happen, but I would love it if the Vikings started implementing some 5-2 looks. I think a 5-2 defense would really be a heavy pressure defense, with 5 rushing the passer every snap. Though this kind of defense may be susepcticle to big plays, that is if the QB can get the pass off. Allen, Griffen, Ballard and Robison all rushing the passer with KW tying up blockers, I could live with that.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
It probably wont happen, but I would love it if the Vikings started implementing some 5-2 looks. I think a 5-2 defense would really be a heavy pressure defense, with 5 rushing the passer every snap. Though this kind of defense may be susepcticle to big plays, that is if the QB can get the pass off. Allen, Griffen, Ballard and Robison all rushing the passer with KW tying up blockers, I could live with that.

We were fine rushing the passer with just 4. Hell, getting to the QB was the only thing our defense was good at. Running 5-2 might seem like a fun idea, but it takes away the chances we get to run our normal defense. Every snap counts.

We have huge coverage problems, and you want to take one dude out of it? Eh, I'm not so sure.

If we are going to get creative, we better make it count. Will a 5-2 really make our defense that much better?

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

We were fine rushing the passer with just 4. Hell, getting to the QB was the only thing our defense was good at. Running 5-2 might seem like a fun idea, but it takes away the chances we get to run our normal defense. Every snap counts.

We have huge coverage problems, and you want to take one dude out of it? Eh, I'm not so sure.

If we are going to get creative, we better make it count. Will a 5-2 really make our defense that much better?

It wouldnt be a base defense or anything, just a wrinkle to add in the mix. The team isnt always going to be rushing four all the time, they will blitz on occasion, and a 5-2 look would put Griffen at the LOS and in a better position to get to the QB.

Rushing 5 really isnt that many, that is just a standard blitz out of the 4-3.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

It wouldnt be a base defense or anything, just a wrinkle to add in the mix. The team isnt always going to be rushing four all the time, they will blitz on occasion, and a 5-2 look would put Griffen at the LOS and in a better position to get to the QB.

On the flip side, though, it can make disguising blitzes very difficult. The 5th rusher will be in better position to reach the QB, yes, but it can be a dead giveaway in terms of the opposing offense being able to read the coverage and make the proper adjustment in the passing game. Delayed blitzes and multidirectional blitzes are some of my favorite wrinkles in defensive schemes; employing them becomes a bit trickier in a 5-2 set, so I think the 5-2 overall is limited in usefulness. I'd rather avoid it, personally.

Peppers90 on the sig.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an advocate of creating the scheme to fit your best players.
Griffen is a huge talent, and we need to get him on the feild.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
On the flip side, though, it can make disguising blitzes very difficult. The 5th rusher will be in better position to reach the QB, yes, but it can be a dead giveaway in terms of the opposing offense being able to read the coverage and make the proper adjustment in the passing game. Delayed blitzes and multidirectional blitzes are some of my favorite wrinkles in defensive schemes; employing them becomes a bit trickier in a 5-2 set, so I think the 5-2 overall is limited in usefulness. I'd rather avoid it, personally.

Not entirely, that is why 4-3 teams commonly over or under stunts. Given Griffen and Robison have shown some ability to rush inside and outside, they could do some creative things with both he and Griffen. You could even rotate those two in out of the same position. You could even put Robison (LE) out wider than Griffen with Griffen hugging the LOS to Robison's inside shoulder. it doesnt necessarily have to be as bland as lining up 5 guys as your suggesting.
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Seems like Everson has grown up and is taking this very seriously now and just wants to get out on the field. He's been working out with Larry Fitzgerald. I couldn't be happier.
Isn't that the kiss of death for a Viking player? Next Cris Carter's gonna say how great he is. Laughing

(I like the move just fine.)
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

It will be interesting to see how Mike Singletary handles Griffen none the less.

Of course, I want to see him rush the passer as a 4-3 OLB, but I'd hate to see us look extremely predictable and get burnt on it.

If we could use him like Denver uses Von Miller, this is a great plan. I see Griffen's upside being an 7-10 sack season. I expect him to have a big year, and I'd really hope he starts and pushes Henderson to the middle!

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffen: "My goal is to come in in the best shape as possible. I want to go out there and whatever role they give me, Iím going to run with it. I plan to come back in shape and mentally ready to go. Thatís the only thing I can do. Iíve been very focused on getting in shape and going over my plays to learn our defense even better."

"Theyíve told me to come in right, come back in shape and come in ready to learn. Thatís my entire mindset behind it. Iím just trying to come in right and ready to go. I need to help this team out to win games.I can bring a bit of everything. More than anything, I want to be a confident guy. Iím fast to the ball. Explosive. I can blow up the fullback. I can play left or right. I can cover tight ends. Iím versatile. So whatever they give me, Iíll run with it. We had that package last year where I played some linebacker. Weíre going to mix that in more. And thatís all I can hope for Ė just getting more plays, more snaps. And when I get those snaps, I need to show them that I should be out there every play. I just want to play. Whatever they give me, Iím going to run with it and go. I just want to play somewhere. And I feel like I can help take this defense to a new level, thatís what Iím here for. Iím here to make me better and Iím here to help make them better. I want Jared to win a Super Bowl. Kevin. I want to get these guys to get to the next level and get that ring."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/163058686.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Notebook_Vikings_coach_praises_Everson_Griffen_for_weight_loss072712

I wanted to share with you guys something I stumbled upon. Apparently Everson has shed 18 pounds over the offseason in order to accommodate his move to OLB. I am really, really proud of him for demonstrating that kind of initiative. That is what self-motivation is all about.

Peppers90 on the sig.
Zephiel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that first play as OLB in practice today, he had a sack.

Let's hope all these things are signs of whats to come!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: