Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NHL General Thread v. 6.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
So who is eligible next year?

Niedermayer and Chelios.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
mm6492

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
BLick12 wrote:

Niedermayer and Chelios.
Guessing those 2 get in with Shanahan and someone else (hopefully Lindros)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:
Shocked Shanny didn't get in but Sundin did.

Sundin played for the Leafs.

See: Doug Gilmour, Darryl Sittler, Lanny McDonald, Borje Salming.

The walls he broke down for European players in the Draft and point wise he deserved to be in the HOF. Not his fault Leafs always had a good but not a great team. He did everything one can ask for as a leader.
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purpes17 wrote:
milanb wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:
Shocked Shanny didn't get in but Sundin did.

Sundin played for the Leafs.

See: Doug Gilmour, Darryl Sittler, Lanny McDonald, Borje Salming.

The walls he broke down for European players in the Draft and point wise he deserved to be in the HOF. Not his fault Leafs always had a good but not a great team. He did everything one can ask for as a leader.

Sundin was a very good player and I'm not saying he doesn't belong in the Hall. I think he does based on his body of work. But does he deserve to go on the first ballot ahead of Shanahan and Lindros? Absolutely not.

Same with Doug Gilmour. How on earth does he get in ahead of Guy Carbonneau, who doesn't even appear to be on the HOF radar? Did any of the voters actually watch these guys play?

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
BayAreaBomber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
BayAreaBomber wrote:
The Hall is about to get a hell of a player and person in Joe Sakic.

Sakic is my all-time favorite non-Penguin player. I really enjoyed watching him play. Glad he was able to win a Cup during his great career.

It's just about impossible to not like the guy it seems.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see why people are whining about the Sundin in; Shanahan not, with the HOF.

Sundin had a PPG over his career, while being the heart and soul of the Maple Leafs.

Shanahan was about 100+ points under a PPG, while spending the majority of his career on a line with at least one Hall of Famer, not to mention he played for several different teams.

I fail to see the problem here. Other than people whining like babies thinking that Toronto players get special treatment with the HOF.
BLick12

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
BLick12 wrote:

Niedermayer and Chelios.

Well then.... It might just be another year til Big E gets in.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I fail to see why people are whining about the Sundin in; Shanahan not, with the HOF.

Sundin had a PPG over his career, while being the heart and soul of the Maple Leafs.

Shanahan was about 100+ points under a PPG, while spending the majority of his career on a line with at least one Hall of Famer, not to mention he played for several different teams.

That's part of the problem with the HOF selection. It's become all about the career numbers. Just like in baseball.

What we're getting now is a lot of good-but-not-great playmakers who stick around long enough to get 500 goals or 1000 points, but were never among the game's elite.

Shanahan won three Stanley Cups and was a first-team All-Star twice. He was a career +151 compared to Sundin's career +73. Eric Lindros was a career +215. Guy Carbonneau was a career +186 while matched up against the opposing team's top scoring line his entire career.

Sundin was never a first-team All-Star, never won a Stanley Cup, never won a major award, never scored 50 goals. He had one 100-point season as Joe Sakic's linemate.

Again, I'm not saying that Sundin doesn't belong in the Hall. Just that he wasn't as good as some of the guys who were passed over.

steelcurtain29 wrote:

Other than people whining like babies thinking that Toronto players get special treatment with the HOF.

Today's exercise: go to the nearest chalk board and write the sentence "Ad hominem argumentation is fallacious" 10,000 times.

The Leafs have not won the Stanley Cup in 45 years. They have not even reached the finals in that time period. They haven't had a single player who was anywhere near being the best at his position. Why are guys like Gilmour and Sundin getting into the HOF ahead of better players from championship teams?

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek

Last edited by milanb on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:

I fail to see the problem here. Other than people whining like babies thinking that Toronto players get special treatment with the HOF.

lol... what an unnecessarily hostile post. I have no problem with Sundin getting in at all. He was a superstar and his international track record is stellar. Shannahan was also a world class player, and was only about .11 PPG lower than Sundin. When you factor in differing roles and three Stanley Cups in favor of Shannahan, there's a very legitimate argument to be made.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: