Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 Offseason: Your thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastM0de23RB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: 2012 Offseason: Your thoughts? Reply with quote

Since I've been gone for quite some time, I'd like to catch up with my boys here in the Bills forum. The question here is regarding our 2012 offseason, which has been quite unusual in comparison to the offseasons we've gotten used to.

If you just want to share your general thoughts on what we've done this year, this is the place to do it.

What do you think our best move was (if it's not obvious lol)? What was our worst move? What would you have liked to see get done that wasn't done this offseason?

“Experiences are the chemicals of life with which the philosopher experiments” - M.P.H.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it ... We helped out our D so much by adding Mario and Anderson. Adding a good QB coach in David Lee, is a good move, he is already helping Fitzy out and i believe it will pay huge dividends. Also switching Dcoords and switching back to the 4-3 will be a very easy transition. I also liked the back up QB competition between VY and Thigpen (I believe VY will win that battle)

I loved our draft too, Idk about you guys but this was the first draft in a while that I was actully happy with most of the picks, wasnt too sure about the Kicker in round 7, but hell its the 7th round lol.

The only thing I didnt like was not addressing our pressing need for a #2 WR. I feel like Graham could be a solid #2 but not early on, and I wasnt overly impressed with Donald Jones last year. Hopefully one of these guys can step up and take pressure off of Stevie.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall this offseason was amazing. We took care of our biggest need, with the best available FA at that position. We spent some money, and I think our FO showed everyone that they want - and are willing to do what it takes - to win now. I think our franchise as a whole, from former players to current players and FO personnel (except Gailey, who seemed strangely absent) deserve a ton of credit for landing Mario Williams, our biggest FA signing ever.

Signing Mark Anderson went largely under the radar, but I think that will prove to be a very good signing as well, as he will add a good pass rush across from Mario.

Switching back to the 4-3, and making Wanny the DC will prove to be great moves as well.

The draft went very well for us as well, and I think we had the best days 2 and 3 of any team. I like the Gilmore pick, and I think he'll be a very good CB in the NFL, but I would like the pick more if Floyd had been off the board. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think Floyd would have been more of an upgrade to our team overall. I think our CB's will look like a completely different group with our new pass rush, and a combo of Floyd and a 3rd round CB (Jamell Fleming, Jayron Hosely) would have had a bigger impact than Gilmore and Graham. Again, I like Gilmore, just not more than Floyd.

This may sound strange, but I think our best offseason move overall may have been grabbing Cordy Glenn in the 2nd round of the draft. Before you say I've lost it, hear me out. I can see Glenn stepping in right away at any of 3 spots on the OL (both G spots and RT) from day 1, and if he can slim down some and learn the LT spot, he could become a very good LT, making him valuable at 4 OL spots. I think in 4 or 5 years, he could very well become our most valuable commodity. Obviously Mario will probably have the biggest impact for the upcoming season, and probably for the next couple, but down the line, if we continue to build our OL, Glenn could be our most impactful player.

I think our worst move was signing Vince Young. I din't see any positives in the signing at all. I don't see him adding anything positive to the team, but I can see him bringing negativity. He's an immature head case, and I just hope he doesn't come in and cause any issues. I think we've built up a solid core group of guys, guys who all seem to be supportive of one another, and I don't see VY adding to that. If he can keep his ego in check, and his head on straight, he may be slightly better than Thigpen. Not worth the risk IMO.

Overall I'd give our offseason a solid B/B+. it would be an A, but we didn't add a true #2 WR (I know we tried with Meachem), and we signed VY, which drops it down a bit as well.

I don't think we are playoff bound yet, but I do think we'll finish 2nd in the East, and I'm pretty excited for our future.
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
BeastM0de23RB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general consensus seems to be that our offseason was about as solid as we could ask for, minus the lack of attention we showed the WR position. Here are some of my thoughts on the offseason.

Firstly, the free agency period we just had was probably the best we've ever seen for the Bills. In the past, we've made attempts to spend money, but usually the big contracts we hand out don't really work out all that well, because we usually spend the money on mediocre players (see Dockery). This year however, we FINALLY made the splash we have all been waiting for. With the way things have been going in recent years, if someone had posted a "mock offseason" of this caliber, said poster would probably have been laughed off the site. We literally got THE best defensive free agent on the market, and to add to that (in agreement with BBF13), the Anderson signing is not being talked about much outside of Buffalo, but is pretty huge. We didn't just address our lack of a pass rush, but we put our pass rush on steroids (no Merriman joke here). With the signing of Anderson, we acquired the Patriots top sack leader from last season, despite the fact that he only played about half of their snaps. The only thing that worries me to a degree with him are the questions that remain in my head: Why did the Patriots let their top sack leader go? What do they know that we don't?

One of the best aspects of our offseason was our ability to FINALLY retain our own. The resignings of Steve, Chandler, and others, have really given me hope that we might finally be committed to building up our franchise. In the past, it's been extremely frustrating for us all to see this team build up players, only to let them walk, as if we are some sort of NFL farm team.

As for the draft, I think it was very solid. What we did in the offseason (prior to the draft) made things much more flexible for us come draft day. I think Gilmore is going to be a stud, but like BBF13 said, I would have really liked to see us take Floyd. I wanted us to take Floyd in the months leading up to the draft, so was a bit disappointed to see we didn't grab him, but I'm not going to complain about Gilmore. On top of that, getting Glenn in the second round was a steal for us, and early on, it appears he's been lining up at the starting LT, with Hairston on the right side. I think we also have a couple of nice sleepers in the mix from this draft class as well, specifically Bradham, who I think could be quite a beast.

Now in closing, I don't think we are as bad at WR as some may feel (I know, go ahead, kill me for this). The biggest issue we had was depth last year, and that especially showed with injury. When Donald was healthy early on, we were winning games, and our passing game was extremely effective. He made some big plays for us on occasion, specifically late in the Patriots W. If not for his play in the second half of that game, we would have lost that game, no doubts about it. If you look at what we have, and the promise some of these guys showed last season, I think we can end up with a solid 6 by the end of camp. I like how Hagan finished the year, and Donald seems to be on a mission to prove all the doubters wrong. Steve, Donald, David, TJ, Hagan, Brad Smith, etc.....not the greatest, but not as bad as some may think if you ask me.

You know what would REALLY make this offseason epic? If we could somehow finagle a trade for Percy Harvin, who has requested a trade. I think Chan would have ALOT of fun with Percy. Could you imagine that? Shocked

“Experiences are the chemicals of life with which the philosopher experiments” - M.P.H.
BigBillsFan13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I completely forgot to address something that you (BM23RB) pointed out. Resigning our own guys was huge! Obviously resigning Stevie was the biggest, but getting most of the rest of our guys signed as well will help these guys to see that we are looking keep our key guys, rather than let them walk like our previous regime did. I think it adds to the overall morale as well, which is definitely a big factor in keeping our guys motivated.
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
leeevans83d

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an awesome offseason. It is good to be a Bills fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's make a deal for Percy Harvin and make this the GOAT offseason.

I'd give a 1st...
hammer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:

This may sound strange, but I think our best offseason move overall may have been grabbing Cordy Glenn in the 2nd round of the draft. Before you say I've lost it, hear me out. I can see Glenn stepping in right away at any of 3 spots on the OL (both G spots and RT) from day 1, and if he can slim down some and learn the LT spot, he could become a very good LT, making him valuable at 4 OL spots. I think in 4 or 5 years, he could very well become our most valuable commodity.

Yeah as a Dolphin fan I hated the fact that Glenn ended up in Buffalo. Great pick up IMHO.
NBA: New York Knicks
Buffalo_Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
Let's make a deal for Percy Harvin and make this the GOAT offseason.

I'd give a 1st...

with all the baggage i would only give a 2nd.

thanks for the sig NS922!

Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking;
if you hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to you and eat with you,
and you with me.
Revelation 3:20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: