Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With pick #134, MINN selects - Greg Childs [WR] ARK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie receiver Greg Childs has been out because of a calf strain that he hurt during rookie minicamp last month. Childs' injury is unrelated to the torn patellar tendon he suffered as a junior at Arkansas.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/156078105.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie receiver Greg Childs remains out of action dealing with a lingering calf strain that he suffered during rookie mini-camp last month. Childs has attended OTAs but not participated the last two weeks.

Frazier: ďItís unfortunate he canít get some of these reps now. But heíll get caught up.Ē

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/157574555.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really does hinder any chance he had of producing this year. Guys like Stephon Burton and Manny Arceneaux are making solid impressions on the coaching staff so Childs will have to fight for reps when he finally returns.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
This really does hinder any chance he had of producing this year. Guys like Stephon Burton and Manny Arceneaux are making solid impressions on the coaching staff so Childs will have to fight for reps when he finally returns.

Eh as long as he's good to go for mini-camps and training camp I don't see him having any issue beating them out.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:

Eh as long as he's good to go for mini-camps and training camp I don't see him having any issue beating them out.

Even if Manny or Burton perform better than Childs, Childs will get the ultimate roster spot, that is just the way it is as a 4th rd pick. In terms of playing time, sure Manny or Burton could jump Childs, but its going to be difficult for Manny or Burton to actually make the team.

Jenkins, Simpson, Childs, Wright and Harvin are obvious locks. That is 5 WRs right there. The final spot (the team will carry 6 WRs w/Simpson suspended), will likely come down to Manny, Burton and Aromashodu. Id lean towards Aromashodu.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:

Even if Manny or Burton perform better than Childs, Childs will get the ultimate roster spot, that is just the way it is as a 4th rd pick. In terms of playing time, sure Manny or Burton could jump Childs, but its going to be difficult for Manny or Burton to actually make the team.

Jenkins, Simpson, Childs, Wright and Harvin are obvious locks. That is 5 WRs right there. The final spot (the team will carry 6 WRs w/Simpson suspended), will likely come down to Manny, Burton and Aromashodu. Id lean towards Aromashodu.

Everything I've heard is that Burton is really impressing coaches. The sixth WR won't likely see the field much, so it's better to have a young guy to develop than an older veteran. Burton also contributes on special teams more than Arceneaux or Aromashodu.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Aromashodu will necessarily be the 6th WR, with Simpson serving his suspension, I actually expect Aromashodu to be a starter, unless one of the rookies shine. I think Childs and Wright have more job security than Aromashodu since they were 4th rd picks.

If Simpson wasnt suspended, I would totally support cutting Aromashodu in favor of Burton, but MN may need that veteran for the first month of the year until the rookies/Simpson get up to speed.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Everything I've heard is that Burton is really impressing coaches. The sixth WR won't likely see the field much, so it's better to have a young guy to develop than an older veteran. Burton also contributes on special teams more than Arceneaux or Aromashodu.

Aromashodu played on pretty much every special team unit.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the state this team is in, the 6th WR has to be the guy with the most upside. If you're going for a championship I can understand taking the guy with the most ST value, but we're not. For my money, that's Burton.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final WR spots on the roster typically go the guys who can also perform on Special Teams.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. ó Ecclesiastes 9:11

But thatís the way to bet. ó Jimmy The Greek
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Considering the state this team is in, the 6th WR has to be the guy with the most upside. If you're going for a championship I can understand taking the guy with the most ST value, but we're not. For my money, that's Burton.

The 6th WR might be Wright to start the season, perhaps what i said was confusing. Since Childs and Wright basically have little chance of not making the final roster, the last spot wlll come down to Aromashodu vs Burton. that doesnt mean Aromashodu is necessarily the 6th WR. I would expect Aromashodu to be the #3 WR (dont interpret that as slot WR, just the WR who comes on the field in 3 wide sets) while Simpson is suspended, unless Childs and/or Wright shine in training camp. If Childs and Wright outperform Aromashodu than yes, I would cut Aromahosu in favor of Burton. However, if Aromashodu is higher on the depth chart than Childs and Wright, Burton will likely be released, unless he proves to be a better player than Aromashodu.

Ultimately, the Simpson suspension will have a big impact on which WR stays and goes and if the team already have two young WRs on the roster with Childs and Wright, they may have to go with a vet like Aromashodu until Simpson is ready to return.
calipurple

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it just me or does Childs look a lot like AP?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
If Simpson wasnt suspended, I would totally support cutting Aromashodu in favor of Burton, but MN may need that veteran for the first month of the year until the rookies/Simpson get up to speed.

That's a fair point, but I think Jenkins is doing just fine in that role of veteran leader, as well as Harvin.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

That's a fair point, but I think Jenkins is doing just fine in that role of veteran leader, as well as Harvin.

Not even for the leadership qualities, just for the purpose of having someone that we know can play and is ready to contribute. We simply dont know if Wright or Childs will be able to make plays as a rookie to start the year as Aromashodu did last year. Aromashodu did show he can make in impact play on occasion, though not consistent, he may be more consistent than Childs or Wright week 1.

But maybe Burton does elevate his game to be an outside WR. But as a late 7th round pick, from West Texas AM&, he's got a difficult road ahead.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Not even for the leadership qualities, just for the purpose of having someone that we know can play and is ready to contribute. We simply dont know if Wright or Childs will be able to make plays as a rookie to start the year as Aromashodu did last year. Aromashodu did show he can make in impact play on occasion, though not consistent, he may be more consistent than Childs or Wright week 1.

But maybe Burton does elevate his game to be an outside WR. But as a late 7th round pick, from West Texas AM&, he's got a difficult road ahead.

If we were a potential playoff team, I'd consider what you are saying, but we aren't. I think if Aromashodu does make the team, he will be cut once Simpson returns. If Burton makes the team, I could see him possibly staying on board after week 3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: