Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brian Cushing misses practice, has MRI on knee

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cutblock7


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Brian Cushing misses practice, has MRI on knee Reply with quote

Quote:
Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing was held out of Monday's OTA session after developing soreness in his knee. Head coach Gary Kubiak disclosed that the team sent the 2009 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year for an MRI.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8299149e/article/brian-cushing-misses-practice-has-mri-on-knee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bunnyracin


Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 972
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear God....
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amazingandre


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 14241
Location: Elkhorn, WI
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't he always have problems with his knee? He seems to never practice because of a leg injury
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jch1911


Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 3801
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
doesn't he always have problems with his knee? He seems to never practice because of a leg injury


IIRC since his rookie year he has had many ailments which precluded him from practicing.

But I believe B Crushing went to the Allen Iverson school of practice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ServantofYHWH


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 13659
Location: Clutch City
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
doesn't he always have problems with his knee? He seems to never practice because of a leg injury


IIRC since his rookie year he has had many ailments which precluded him from practicing.

But I believe B Crushing went to the Allen Iverson school of practice.


We talkin bout practice...... Not a game, not a game..... But practice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38162
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting sent for an MRI isn't a good thing. Hope this is just a minor issue if anything...
_________________


vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5671
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Getting sent for an MRI isn't a good thing. Hope this is just a minor issue if anything...


Really don't think it's a big deal. You or I getting an MRI is a massive copay and insurance hassle and something not utilized unless the doctor really suspects something. For pro football players practicing in the Houston Med Center, it's the equivalent of getting sent to the school nurse to get your temperature taking because you feel warm.

Worth discussing however, is what the depth chart for a real Cushing injury would look like. Does James move over and Sharpton take his place? Does Sharpton take his place straight up? Does Reed kick inside and Mercilus start outside? The James signing wasn't particularly high profile, but I think it was a huge move considering Cushing's knee history, Sharpton's questionable health following a catastrophic injury, and trading DeMeco away. I like him much better as a 2 down player who basically cleans up the trash inside and getting paid much less to do it than DeMeco, but I do think it was vital to have another leader in there with the DeMeco's departure.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38162
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Getting sent for an MRI isn't a good thing. Hope this is just a minor issue if anything...


Really don't think it's a big deal. You or I getting an MRI is a massive copay and insurance hassle and something not utilized unless the doctor really suspects something. For pro football players practicing in the Houston Med Center, it's the equivalent of getting sent to the school nurse to get your temperature taking because you feel warm.


Very true, very true. Was honestly expecting some mentions of soft tissue injuries being prevelant in regards to PED-abusers... Laughing
_________________


vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5671
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Getting sent for an MRI isn't a good thing. Hope this is just a minor issue if anything...


Really don't think it's a big deal. You or I getting an MRI is a massive copay and insurance hassle and something not utilized unless the doctor really suspects something. For pro football players practicing in the Houston Med Center, it's the equivalent of getting sent to the school nurse to get your temperature taking because you feel warm.


Very true, very true. Was honestly expecting some mentions of soft tissue injuries being prevelant in regards to PED-abusers... Laughing


Why bother stating the obvious. Did we really need to wait on the toxicology report to surmise that drugs were a factor in Whitney Houston's death? I like Cushing the player, but I don't think we can ever truly be "all in" with him due to ever present risk of an 8 game suspension or soft tissue injuries that will only get worse with age especially if he continues to use. Depth behind him is a requirement even if he soldiers through injury.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RuskieTitan


Joined: 29 Apr 2007
Posts: 38221
Location: Front lines of Titania
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could any of this have to do with the tumor / overworking / "Performance Enhancing Drugs" he got busted early on? Seems like players coming off of them (via suspensions) have lingering issues. First Merriman, now possibly Cushing?
_________________

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38162
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
Could any of this have to do with the tumor / overworking / "Performance Enhancing Drugs" he got busted early on? Seems like players coming off of them (via suspensions) have lingering issues. First Merriman, now possibly Cushing?


Both Apollo and I are somewhat alluding to it. It is what it is what it is; No need to ignore the white elephant in the room.

All reports is that it's next to nothing in regards to his knee, but it is concerning to say the least. As Apollo said, Cush is our #1 defensive player in the front seven, even with JJ Watt, Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin; He's the guy that makes the engine run, and it's VERY hard to completely back a guy who's got such a shadow looming over him. Soft tissue injuries are commonplace with PED abusers, and Cush (who did miss portions of OTA/TCs last year due to - yep, a soft tissue injury to his patella tendon) doesn't have a favorable light to shine in with regards to 'em.

The only plus side to it all is that if he was STILL on PEDs, he would of been suspended for eight games by now; He's randomly tested on a weekly basis by the league, per the substance abuse policy in the CBA. Had he been roiding up, we all would of known by now and the contingency plan to replace him would of been in effect.

Apollo wrote:
Does Reed kick inside and Mercilus start outside?


I like this idea, but I would feel more comfortable with Barwin kicking inside and letting Reed/Mercilius start on the outside. Remember, Barwin was to be the run stopping/coverage OLB in our setup this time last year, with Mario Williams playing the 90/10 OLB, the elephant/stand up DE role. While Reed did a good job in Barwin's role while Barwin flipped to the Mario role, I still feel more confident in Barwin's football IQ and acclimation to the speed of the game vs Reed, who is still kind of raw in terms of being a complete OLB. His best work was when he pinned his ears back and went to the QB, and you saw that he was kind of stiff in coverage. It was mitigated because of the role of coverage in OLB in our system, but I would fear for the worst if Reed had to take on a more coverage-based responsibility.

In short: Move Barwin on the inside, let Reed stay where he is, and let Mercilius come in as the 90/10 guy. Feet to the fire for the kid, but might be our best shot if we had to stand pat with Cush out. I could also see a rotational setup with Bradie James/Tim Dobbins; They both play the ILB roles, and rotate between the "two-down" ILB spot. One drive, James is the guy that comes out on 3rd down, and Dobbins plays the "Cush" role. One drive, Dobbins is the guy that comes out and James plays the "Cush" role. See who the hot hand is and stick with them as the three down ILB.
_________________


vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
RuskieTitan


Joined: 29 Apr 2007
Posts: 38221
Location: Front lines of Titania
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

For the Texans sake, they better hope he can stay healthy, and hope that his body of work and draft status wasn't heavily influenced by PEDs.
_________________

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5671
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
Interesting.

For the Texans sake, they better hope he can stay healthy, and hope that his body of work and draft status wasn't heavily influenced by PEDs.


Yep. If we could only find a way to bottle and inject the miraculous transformation that took Jason Babin and Kyle Vanden Bosch from practically out of the league to the Pro Bowl in Tennessee or the reverse with Haynesworth (head stomping certainly wasn't roid rage or anything). If there is such a thing as a "contact high" with steroids I suspect just walking near Travis Laboy in 2007 would make your biceps bigger. The only excuse worse that Cushing's overtrained athlete syndrome defense was former Titan Antwan Odom claiming he accidentally took one of his wife's birth control pills when popped with a 4 game suspension. With all due respect, a Titan fans "concern" about a player on our team's involvement with steroids is like Charlie Sheen being "concerned" about his crackhead ex's drug use. Is Denial a river in Nashville?

So Ruskie, did Russians find it a tad hypocritical that Rocky IV contained all the Ivan Drago Soviet steriod stereotypes, when Stallone admits he was on synthetic testosterone and HGH for most of his movie roles?
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group