Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Camp News and Notes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Camp News and Notes Reply with quote

All the offseason fun is starting, so throw it here if there's any news/notes.

Rotoworld wrote:
Philip Rivers confirmed that Robert Meachem (knee scope) is participating fully in Chargers offseason workouts.
Meachem got his right knee scope out of the way early in the offseason, and he's working as a first-teamer at OTAs. "Oh yeah," said Rivers. "He looks real good. Hes running around and picking up the offense super fast." The Chargers believe Meachem can emerge as a true No. 1-type receiver in their offense.

Nice to see the big investment is on the right track.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. You know Rivers is awesome when he can make Meach a "true number one receiver" when he was a low end 2nd with Brees.

I'm very excited for the season to start we are going to be so much better

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Incidental contact? His blind are you?
Barkey88

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rivers can make any receiver look good, I mean he gave Seyi Ajirotutu a 100+ yard game. And as long as Gates can stay healthy he will have a good lineup of guys to throw too between Meach, Gates, Floyd, and Brown.
Stone85

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and him and Seyi balled that game (I think it was against the Texans) but after that there was no consistency and Seyi was cut (or just not resigned idr). The better argument would be what he and Floyd have done the last couple of years. If Floyd played every game last year, he would have had well over 1,100 receiving yards.

Rivers can make receivers look better than they are, proven fact, but now the question is if he can make Meachem a solid #1 for us for atleast one season. If he can do that, we won't have to draft Marquess Wilson or a Da'Rick Rogers next year (early round WRs) and we can improve our team elsewhere which would be great.

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Barkey88

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I think Floyd will get a little more attention now as well but I'm really looking forward to seeing how meach can do because I have no idea how he will perform as a number 1. But i would like to be able to see the chargers not have to look towards WR in first round next year try and focus on a different part of the game
sanitizer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily know if Meachem playing at a top tier level will make us not draft an early WR. We all know the Chargers love big WR's and if we can't retain Floyd next year I think we look hard at a big WR early in the draft, if we keep him, well thats another story.

Camp talk is great, being from Canada, we don't get any coverage so you guys keeping me up to date is a lot easier than me scouring the web. Greatly appreciated when you all post!
Stone85

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Meachem currently listed as our #1?
That's unfair IMO. Floyd deserves it more for now.

Maybe once this year ends Floyd will just decide he wants to stay a Charger and he can sign for cheap, or I guess we could cut him lose and move on with Vincent Brown and Meachem.

I love M80 though

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Zappaz

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:
So is Meachem currently listed as our #1?
That's unfair IMO. Floyd deserves it more for now.

Maybe once this year ends Floyd will just decide he wants to stay a Charger and he can sign for cheap, or I guess we could cut him lose and move on with Vincent Brown and Meachem.

I love M80 though

I actually agree and think M80 is a hell of a player, give it all for the team. I cant think of a pass that went his way that afterwards I thought "come on, you gotta give more effort than that!" unlike a former WR we had. Unfortunately that is also the knock on him, by giving everything on every play.. he tends to get banged up too much.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers coach Norv Turner told the Union-Tribune San Diego that he believes Ryan Mathews is capable of leading the NFL in rushing.
"I personally think he's ready to take that next step," Turner said. "That means, to me, the production goes way up, and hes more of the guy that is on the field most of the time." It's in Turner's nature to utilize a true workhorse back (see Emmitt Smith, LaDainian Tomlinson, Frank Gore, Ricky Williams, Stephen Davis), and the Chargers' offseason actions strongly suggest they believe Mathews is ready for a massive workload. "Hes well on his way, from what hes doing offseason-wise, to have a great year," observed RBs coach Ollie Wilson. "Hes in the best shape Ive seen since hes been here."

Looks like Mathews will be in for a big year if he can stay healthy, that's always a big "if" though. I like the fact that he's coming in to camp in better shape, especially since he's always look to be in great shape. I just hope the combo of Hester, McClain, Baker, and Brinkley(?) can step up to give Mathews the relief he needs to keep playing.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like English and Domb were heald out of OTAs today but were both there. English with a groin strain (good news its not the foot I guess) and Domb with a foot.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few camp body signings

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers signed SS Corey Lynch, OT Phil Trautwein, and P Robert Malone.
Lynch started eight of 32 games with the Bucs the past two seasons, but he's essentially a special teamer. Trautwein will vie for the final offensive line spot. Malone will be a golfing buddy for standout punter Mike Scifres until he's released after training camp.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
A few camp body signings

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers signed SS Corey Lynch, OT Phil Trautwein, and P Robert Malone.
Lynch started eight of 32 games with the Bucs the past two seasons, but he's essentially a special teamer. Trautwein will vie for the final offensive line spot. Malone will be a golfing buddy for standout punter Mike Scifres until he's released after training camp.

Lynch is a great STer. He's actually the one for App State that blocked/returned that kick that sealed the famous Michigan game.

Other than that a lot of non news of guys that are probably gonna get cut anyway, but hell, we gotta have something to do durring the offseason... Crying or Very sad

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Vincent Brown "consistently stood out" in the first day of Chargers OTAs on Tuesday.
The usual shorts and no shoulder pads caveat applies for OTA standouts, but it's no surprise that Brown is impressing. The 2011 third-rounder showed flashes of play-making ability in a part-time role as a rookie. Expect Brown to push Eddie Royal for the No. 3 receiver role behind Robert Meachem and Malcom Floyd.

I'm willing to bet that a 4.5 would have put him in the bottom half of the first. He does a lot of stuff right.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
Vincent Brown "consistently stood out" in the first day of Chargers OTAs on Tuesday.
The usual shorts and no shoulder pads caveat applies for OTA standouts, but it's no surprise that Brown is impressing. The 2011 third-rounder showed flashes of play-making ability in a part-time role as a rookie. Expect Brown to push Eddie Royal for the No. 3 receiver role behind Robert Meachem and Malcom Floyd.

I'm willing to bet that a 4.5 would have put him in the bottom half of the first. He does a lot of stuff right.

Brown is going to help our O out a lot, there's so many differen't players that we can throw at, its going to be like 2/3 years ago when we had 5 different guys to be scared of in the passing game.

Another cool note, the former USC recruit, Brian Banks who was exonerated of rape recently is in talks for a tryout with us. Really sad story if you've heard of it. And if you haven't see the link below.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/brian-banks-exonerated-on-rape-conviction-to-work-out-with-nfl-teams-053012

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
sanitizer

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor guy. After 5 years she felt guilty? What about after the trial!!

I hope this guy gets a chance to play somewhere and has what it takes to make a living in the best career possible.

I read somewhere that Ingram is impressing and seems to be picking things up quickly which is great to hear.

Shareece Wright, is this guy ever going to be a regular?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: