Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Beer Review Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
I've homebrewed quite a bit recently, and this may sound crazy to some, but in a hefeweissen instead of going orange, I decided to go with a lime. IT came out SOOOO much better. it's not as sweet and a slice of lime in the beer at the end of it fermenting and sitting the fridge for a couple of months it's pretty friggin awesome.

Nice. Great idea.

I recently picked up a digital thermostat that can switch an outlet. Got it for 2 uses, to control the temperature in my smoker and to control the temperature in a refrigerator for lagering. I still need to get the fridge, but the thermostat was the hard to find part (should use a better thermostat than the regular fridge ones which typically can't hold a temp well and they keep things excessively cold). I know that you can get a thermostat along these lines from homebrew supply places, but they don't have the range to also control a smoker.

I haven't homebrewed much recently because the vast majority of beer I drink are lagers. I just don't care for ales as much anymore for whatever reason. Once I get a fridge for lagering I'm back in business.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
scar988 wrote:
I've homebrewed quite a bit recently, and this may sound crazy to some, but in a hefeweissen instead of going orange, I decided to go with a lime. IT came out SOOOO much better. it's not as sweet and a slice of lime in the beer at the end of it fermenting and sitting the fridge for a couple of months it's pretty friggin awesome.

Nice. Great idea.

I recently picked up a digital thermostat that can switch an outlet. Got it for 2 uses, to control the temperature in my smoker and to control the temperature in a refrigerator for lagering. I still need to get the fridge, but the thermostat was the hard to find part (should use a better thermostat than the regular fridge ones which typically can't hold a temp well and they keep things excessively cold). I know that you can get a thermostat along these lines from homebrew supply places, but they don't have the range to also control a smoker.

I haven't homebrewed much recently because the vast majority of beer I drink are lagers. I just don't care for ales as much anymore for whatever reason. Once I get a fridge for lagering I'm back in business.

I probably won't even have the opportunity to finish the project until after Christmas - and even then until well after X-mas because the wife and I are going to Costa Rica from the 26th through the 3rd - but I've already got my wife working off a shopping list of little bits and parts I need to finish my fridge to full-size kegerator project (actual full-size 1980's fridge that I'm setting up to hold two 23 by 9's with taps on the front - i.e. mounted on the fridge door side-by-side). I'm so over bottling my homebrew - such a pain in the butt - and all about kegging it now.

On a non-beer side-note, I've got a batch of apple wine (it's called apple "wine" but it's really more of a hard cider based off a German appleweiss recipe) I made back in mid-October that should be ready for tasting just after Thanksgiving, I may wait till early December (that way if it's only mediocre I can bottle it and give it as X-mas presents). I'll keep everyone posted on how my first venture into cider-making goes.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
I probably won't even have the opportunity to finish the project until after Christmas - and even then until well after X-mas because the wife and I are going to Costa Rica from the 26th through the 3rd - but I've already got my wife working off a shopping list of little bits and parts I need to finish my fridge to full-size kegerator project (actual full-size 1980's fridge that I'm setting up to hold two 23 by 9's with taps on the front - i.e. mounted on the fridge door side-by-side). I'm so over bottling my homebrew - such a pain in the butt - and all about kegging it now.

Stay away from the old fridges. They're a pain, and cost a lot to run. A chest freezer with a thermostat is the way to go. It will save you a ton of money in the long run, and it actually fits more.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
The LBC wrote:

Stay away from the old fridges. They're a pain, and cost a lot to run. A chest freezer with a thermostat is the way to go. It will save you a ton of money in the long run, and it actually fits more.

I was thinking about getting one of the little mini-fridges that is big enough for a glass primary fermenter (thus also big enough for a cornelius keg), just watching craigs list until a suitable model pops up cheap.

Bottling sucks. When I first started homebrewing we had a full CO2 kegging system, I really miss those days. Takes all of 15 minutes to rack a beer from the secondary into the keg (including all sanitizing) then pressurizing the keg to force pressurization levels. And you've got ready to drink fully pressurized beer in 2 days instead of 2 weeks with bottling.

That and it is just my personal opinion, but I think that natural pressurization via a 2nd fermentation adds a negative flavor to the beer, whether it is because there is more yeast in solution or off flavors from the sediment, IDK, but I can tell the diffence and like force carbonated beer (or giant batch natural pressurization) better.

Bonus side effect was that a tap attachment for regular kegs for parties was dirt cheap (much more simple tap than the pumps that the less fortunate have to use), having a keg on CO2 for a party is a huge step up from pumps, pours so much faster, and it keeps (pumped kegs go flat). I'm not sure why more college kids don't splurge on a $150-$200 CO2 tapping system if they know they are going to have a lot of parties. It is WELL worth it. The tap attachments for the various keg types don't cost but $20 each, if that. Any parties that weren't ours, beer was free for us if we brought our tap. And after college....you've got one of the primary components for a kegerator.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
The LBC wrote:

I was thinking about getting one of the little mini-fridges that is big enough for a glass primary fermenter (thus also big enough for a cornelius keg), just watching craigs list until a suitable model pops up cheap.

Bottling sucks. When I first started homebrewing we had a full CO2 kegging system, I really miss those days. Takes all of 15 minutes to rack a beer from the secondary into the keg (including all sanitizing) then pressurizing the keg to force pressurization levels. And you've got ready to drink fully pressurized beer in 2 days instead of 2 weeks with bottling.

That and it is just my personal opinion, but I think that natural pressurization via a 2nd fermentation adds a negative flavor to the beer, whether it is because there is more yeast in solution or off flavors from the sediment, IDK, but I can tell the diffence and like force carbonated beer (or giant batch natural pressurization) better.

Bonus side effect was that a tap attachment for regular kegs for parties was dirt cheap (much more simple tap than the pumps that the less fortunate have to use), having a keg on CO2 for a party is a huge step up from pumps, pours so much faster, and it keeps (pumped kegs go flat). I'm not sure why more college kids don't splurge on a $150-$200 CO2 tapping system if they know they are going to have a lot of parties. It is WELL worth it. The tap attachments for the various keg types don't cost but $20 each, if that. Any parties that weren't ours, beer was free for us if we brought our tap. And after college....you've got one of the primary components for a kegerator.

Even in your situation, I would go with a small chest freezer and digital thermostat. The freezers are insulated enough to keep food frozen for hours without power. Keeping the temp in the 40's-50's is easy. It all means the motor is running less, so you're not getting colder than you want air blowing on your fermenter all the time, and the motor will only run a few times a day so your power bill will be a lot cheaper.

Kegging is the far better method. You can always bottle a gallon, and keg the rest, if you want to give some away.

Most important thing about brewing? Sanitation. You have to clean your lines, and taps, regularly. For a college kid that's not looking for his next drunk, it's a pretty good idea. For the rest, it would never work. All the beer would come out tasting like Rock Bottom's.

steferfootballd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the UberFridge and thought of the nice people here.

Basically it is a 100 euro fridge mod that controls your fridge temperature to .1 degree Celsius and does some other stuff like logs the temperature. It actually uses the fridge lightbulb as a heating element. lol

More importantly, I was wondering if such accuracy is really necessary for fermentation. Would there be a noticeable difference in quality?

Seems like too much work, but kinda cool nonetheless.

Also somewhat off topic, has anyone ever tried free beer? I've always wondered if free beer or open cola are legitimate.

Ramster
SoS wrote:
(Remember, I like that Steven Jackson style best Very Happy )
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while, so it's time to bring this thing back to life.

Panty Peeler

Brewer: Midnight Sun Brewing Company (Anchorage, AK)
Style: Belgian Style Tripel

My Thoughts:
Pours a light copper color, with a 3-finger slightly off-white head. Scents are orange, sweet malts, spice, light grass, and Belgian yeast. Taste was big on the sweet malts and spice, orange, lemon grass(?), and distintive flavor of the yeast. Full body, minimal lacing, and the head took a while to thin out.

Lucky enough to have a buddy bring some back for me when had to work for a month in AK. A lot of characteristics of a Dubbel, but with the fruitiness and spice of a Tripel. Very easy drinking. One of the coolest names ou'll ever find for a beer.

Brewer's Notes:

Midnight Sun wrote:
8.5 % Alcohol By Volume

15 International Bittering Units (IBUs)

Free spirited Panty Peeler Tripel pours rambunctiously into your glass, releasing its engaging aroma. Curacao (bitter) orange peel and coriander create a beautiful yet bolder tripel by infusing color, citrus and spice. Belgian yeast adds playful character. Bottle conditioning assures a perfectly heady experience.

Brewed as a Belgian tripel but with American boldness, Panty Peeler is delicious yet spirited.

My Score: 8.0

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wee Heavy

Brewer: AleSmith Brewing Company (San Diego, CA)
Style: Scotch Ale

My Thoughts:
Pours a deep, oil-colored, brown, with a thick tan head. Scents are caramel, sweet malts, light bread malts, alcohol, and dark fruit. Flavors are rich malts, caramel, toffee, alcohol, and light bitter hop finish. Very heavy palate, no real lacing.

Big beer, which is to be expected from AleSmith. Rich flavors, a ton of malts. It's a 10% beer, and it noticeable, but not so much that it hurts the beer. Big bottle + 10% = a good time.

Brewer's Notes:

AleSmith wrote:
Bottle conditioned
J.P. Gray's Wee Heavy Scotch Ale Scotland's bone-chilling winters command a strong, richly-flavored brew. J.P. Gray's Wee Heavy is such an ale. Named for Brewmaster Skip Virgilio's maternal grandfather, J.P. Gray's is a blend of the prized Maris Otter barley and dark roasted barley which imparts a slightly smoky flavor and a deep chestnut appearance. In the style of a classic Scottish wee heavy, this fine ale is remarkably smooth and malty with background flavors of chocolate and molasses. Warmth is provided by a substantial 9% alcohol by volume. The high alcohol and fresh ingredients allow this ale to age well over time. Appearance: Deep mahogany color, sparkling clarity, and excellent head formation and retention when properly served. Flavor: Deep caramelly malty flavor with just a hint of smoke in the finish. Aroma: The aroma is sweet and voluptuous, reflecting the flavor with malt, hop and yeast characteristics. Mouthfeel (body/texture): Lush, full, rounded, almost chewy. This is a BIG beer!

My Score: 8.3

CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:

So I recently turned 21 and want to expand my beer horizons past the beers at the local convenience store. Can anyone direct me to a book or website that I can see to learn about the basics of beer. Like distinguishing IPAs from Pale Ales, etc. I'm clueless and it's something I'd love to know more about.
FlyLikeAJet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I has a Miller High Life tonight, i gotta admit I enjoyed it Cool

Gmen4ev wrote:

No man should be able to consume the amount of alcohol you do ... therefor you must be an alien
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

So I recently turned 21 and want to expand my beer horizons past the beers at the local convenience store. Can anyone direct me to a book or website that I can see to learn about the basics of beer. Like distinguishing IPAs from Pale Ales, etc. I'm clueless and it's something I'd love to know more about.

It's too bad he passed away because I don't know if his stuff still holds, but if you can find some of the books by Michael Jackson, they're pretty good.

No, not that Michael Jackson. The other one. Just add "beer" to your search.
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried "Flat Tire"? I've seen it around in a few stores, but have yet to try it. Should I?

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

Somewhere in this thread there's a link that shows all of those details.

Here's a detailed one

http://482256.cache1.evolutionhosting.com/attachments/0000/7526/2012_BA_Beer_Styles_Final.pdf

This one shows beers in each style

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/

IPA's are going to be more malty up front, and real hoppy on the back. You'll get breaddy, caramel, and maybe a little syrupy flavor to start. It will finish wit a lot of hops, which can have a bitter, pine, floral, grass, or pepper flavor. Most IPA's use multiple hops.

A pale will be lighter in color, and flavor. You'll get that breaddy malt up front, and usually just a bitter hop on the back.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Anyone tried "Flat Tire"? I've seen it around in a few stores, but have yet to try it. Should I?

Flat Tire, or Fat Tire?

Fat Tire is one of the better Ambers out there. Well worth trying.

ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
ravens_rool28 wrote:

Flat Tire, or Fat Tire?

Fat Tire is one of the better Ambers out there. Well worth trying.

It is Fat Tire, my bad. I'll for sure give it a try though.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 87 of 100

Jump to: