Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brian Rolle vs Jamar Chaney for starting WILL
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rolle vs Chaney
Brian Rolle
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Jamar Chaney
75%
 75%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 28

PowerElite

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Brian Rolle vs Jamar Chaney for starting WILL Reply with quote

If you had the final say in what guy would enter training camp as the "starting" WILL out of those two, which one would it be?

Nothing else matters, no other players, just those two and what they bring to the position within the scheme.

Last edited by PowerElite on Fri May 18, 2012 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaney by a pretty large margin.

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamar Chaney, granted he's healthy.

Still need to see them compete in TC.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
eaglesfan10

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how Rolle performed last year as a 22 year old 6th round pick with height "limitations" and a shortened off season due to the lockout, it will be interesting to see how much he could improve this year.

I think the decision will come down to whether Rolle shows any improvement and if Chaney is or isn't healthy.

I'm gonna lean towards Rolle winning the job.
Withmy89vision

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaglesfan10 wrote:
Considering how Rolle performed last year as a 22 year old 6th round pick with height "limitations" and a shortened off season due to the lockout, it will be interesting to see how much he could improve this year.

I think the decision will come down to whether Rolle shows any improvement and if Chaney is or isn't healthy.

I'm gonna lean towards Rolle winning the job.

I think Rolle is on the same level with Coleman, which is funny seeing as how they went to the same school and have the same issues.

But I see someone who will always be serviceable in a pinch, but someone with a very low ceiling due to physical limitations.

I think Rolle did very well last year, but I don't ever see him improving upon that. He's not going to be Lance Briggs in 3 years.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaney.

But, the "nothing else matters" rule is distracting.
Other stuff does matter.

For example if Chaney turns out to be the best SAM and the best WILL and the disparity between Chaney and Rolle is not as great as the the gap between Chaney and Kendricks then I reserve the right to say Rolle.
Furthermore, that dynamic could change eight games into the season as the aforementioned Kendricks gets up to speed.*

The reason I contest this is that I don't feel like there needs to be an entrenched decision.
Maybe it plays out as I described above.
Maybe the Eagles go 4-4 in the first eight games and 6-2 in the second half.
That does not necessarily entail the decision was a bad one.
It could be that starting a rookie would have made the Eagles even worse and just having patience paid dividends in the long run.
I appreciate the confidence in your position, the extreme urgency, however, not so much.

*I am not even saying these are absolutely the position decisions that will take place. It is just an example.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keenan Clayton if he proves to be a viable run defender would be my first choice. But I doubt Clayton will be develop into anything, but a Nickel Linebacker, so Chaney, mostly due to his height.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
JayAp07

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Keenan Clayton if he proves to be a viable run defender would be my first choice. But I doubt Clayton will be develop into anything, but a Nickel Linebacker, so Chaney, mostly due to his height.

Clayton, Foku, Lloyd, Simmons, and Jordan all have a lot of work cut out for them if we are only going to carry 6 LB's. Right now I am looking at Kendricks, Chaney, Ryans, Matthews, and Rolle as pretty much 5 locks to make the team. That leaves 1 spot that most likely will go to the most versatile/best special teams player out of the remaining guys. If anything, it will probably come down to Clayton vs. Jordan.

2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd is more of 3-4 Thumper, and I just consider Simmons a camp body (I probably shouldn't, but whatever).

I agree on 4 of those names, but I doubt Matthews have a roster spot locked up. DTN was a 3rd round pick and he ended up on PS. Matthews can't so if he's not playing well, he will most likely end up being cut.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Th@Bird$

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaney hands down, although wouldn't mind Rolle the way he played last year
bkb77

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaney is the answer. He's a legit starting NFL LB imo. Will he be a Pro-Bowler? Prolly not but he is a solid starting LB, he plays the pass well especially in zone,he has the speed (4.5) plays the run just needs to get better at shedding blocks. And at WLB shedding blocks won't be a problem, I expect a big season for Him at WILL. This put Rolle back to his right place as the 4th or 5th LB on a Team, a guy who will be a very good special teamer and a very good nickel LB(Think Ike Reese).

Props to Kiltman on the Sig
JayAp07

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Lloyd is more of 3-4 Thumper, and I just consider Simmons a camp body (I probably shouldn't, but whatever).

I agree on 4 of those names, but I doubt Matthews have a roster spot locked up. DTN was a 3rd round pick and he ended up on PS. Matthews can't so if he's not playing well, he will most likely end up being cut.

Matthews got more playing time than Clayton did. There is absolutely no way that they cut him (Matthews) this year especially after he showed improvement in the second half of the season. This is his first full NFL offseason and the team has high expectations/hopes for him. His spot is locked but his role/playing time is not.

2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAp07 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

Clayton, Foku, Lloyd, Simmons, and Jordan all have a lot of work cut out for them if we are only going to carry 6 LB's. Right now I am looking at Kendricks, Chaney, Ryans, Matthews, and Rolle as pretty much 5 locks to make the team. That leaves 1 spot that most likely will go to the most versatile/best special teams player out of the remaining guys. If anything, it will probably come down to Clayton vs. Jordan.

Out of them id say Fokou and Jordan have to best chance.

Bird Watch: Mychal Kendricks
Tackles: 13 Sacks: 1 Interceptions: 0
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to this is really simple. Neither player was brought in this offseason to fill the job. Rolle was the starter at the end of the season and not through injury. Ergo, he should be the starting WILL entering training camp. Now that doesn't mean it wouldn't be an "open competition" between the two players, and Chaney should be given every reasonable oppourtunity to win the spot. But he should have to win it. Whoever performs better is the starter game 1 of the season. I don't agree with anyone who says "by a large margin" or similar fallacies about the difference between the two players. I believe it would be a heck of a competition and only make the team (and fans) better off for it.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so most Eagles fans on FF are on the same page here. I just get frustrated reading articles and blogs stating that Rolle not only is going to be the starting WILL, but he was a "bright spot" amongst a bad linebacking core. Rolle was at the core of the problem. He just made some plays where Casey Matthews only got abused.

Now the stats are out about how poorly Rolle played.

Quote:

Brian Rolle and Nate Allen were tagged with 10 missed tackles apiece. Among linebackers with a minimum of 50 tackles, Tampa's Quincy Black was the worst with a missed tackle rate of 17.2 percent. However, Rolle didn't qualify because he was only credited with 44 tackles. If he had been eligible, he would have been worse than Black with an 18.5 percent missed tackle rate. I like Rolle and think he was actually one of the team's better linebackers last year, but that number is alarming.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/Five-Eagles-numbers-that-matter.html

Quote:
The only Eagle defender who gave up more touchdown passes than Coleman was linebacker Brian Rolle, who gave up five.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-16/sports/31711925_1_safety-spot-jaiquawn-jarrett-nate-allen/2

Jamar Chaney and Casey Matthews advanced statistics can be found here
http://mcnabborkolb.com/post/19733847383/tackling-eagles-linebackers-vs-demeco-ryans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: