Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cam Newton Improvements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondock

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Cam Newton Improvements Reply with quote

We have talked about our expectations and prediction of Cam for next year. While he did have an amazing rookie season, he still has improvements he will need to make if we plan to contend and watch him reach his ceiling.

What are those improvements?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Taking the reigns of the team.

He respected the veteran leadership last year and stood down a bit. This is his team now. I think he'll figure out that, instead of being mopey, he can be very motivating for others. I don't think he was in a place to be that voice and he didn't know how to handle his frustration. He's earned the right to get in guys' ears.

2. Know when to throw the ball away.

He wasn't terrible with this, but this is how great QBs play. Live to play another down. Eli Manning is fantastic at not forcing the ball. I don't mean throw it away every time, I think Cam can make throws. Others would have thrown away because he extends the play.

3. Accuracy with short throws.

He has fantastic touch on long balls, he needs a little more touch on the shorter throws which can be tough. He should get plenty of practice with Tolbert. Despite being a rookie, Adams could actually be a good target if Cam increases his accuracy.

4. Pre-snap recognition.

He was good last year but a missed blitzer results in huge plays. Checking off plays should also come easier with another year with Chud. I think their decision to make him go without a wristband of plays will pay dividends this year.

What's great, is that I bet Cam has a list twice as long as all the points people make in this thread.
Carolina_Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:

He respected the veteran leadership last year and stood down a bit. This is his team now. I think he'll figure out that, instead of being mopey, he can be very motivating for others. I don't think he was in a place to be that voice and he didn't know how to handle his frustration. He's earned the right to get in guys' ears.

I'm excited to see this part alone.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carolina_Champ wrote:
Moody wrote:

He is a mood setter
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:

2. Know when to throw the ball away.

He wasn't terrible with this, but this is how great QBs play. Live to play another down. Eli Manning is fantastic at not forcing the ball. I don't mean throw it away every time, I think Cam can make throws. Others would have thrown away because he extends the play.

3. Accuracy with short throws.

He has fantastic touch on long balls, he needs a little more touch on the shorter throws which can be tough. He should get plenty of practice with Tolbert. Despite being a rookie, Adams could actually be a good target if Cam increases his accuracy.

4. Pre-snap recognition.

He was good last year but a missed blitzer results in huge plays. Checking off plays should also come easier with another year with Chud. I think their decision to make him go without a wristband of plays will pay dividends this year.

What's great, is that I bet Cam has a list twice as long as all the points people make in this thread.

I will add ball placement. Things like leading receivers and putting the ball where only the receiver can get it. But that's something learned over years. So I will be patient.

CK on the sig
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carolina_Champ wrote:
Moody wrote:

I hope you are not basing his "mopey"ness on the fact that every time the camera focused on Cam on the bench he had a towel over his head. In retrospect it did look like he was a mope, but I believe that is his thing that keeps him focused throughout the game. I am sure the coaches are coaching him up, but the camera only sees the "towel over the head Cam". That man knows what he is doing. And honestly, how many sideline shots do you see of Drew Breese? Cam is not a "mope"... He wants to win every time he steps on the field.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The towel thing isn't a big deal. Basketball players, particularly MJ, do/did it all the time.

I hope he never loses his attitude after losses though. I've never seen someone as ticked off as Newton is in his post game interviews. He just doesn't want to be bothered. As for the thread though, I guess it is the consequence of having a guy like him that is a playmaker but I hope he improves at realizing when a play just isn't going to work. There were times where he was running around looking to make a play when he could have just thrown it away. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it failed. Guess you have to take the good and the bad but eh.

cpanthers178990 wrote:
Panthers coming back from 13 down is like a normal team coming back from 35 down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: